FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy Earth Day!

Author Topic: Happy Earth Day!
GForce
Member # 9584

- posted      Profile for GForce   Email GForce         Edit/Delete Post 
In tribute to the only home we've known, I'd like to ask what everybody is doing to save the planet.

I use energy efficient light bulbs, try to eat vegetarian every once in a while, drive an efficient car, am a member of WWF, and visit The Rainforest Site, Ecology Fund, and Care2.com everyday.

Posts: 127 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
We're having a big Earth Day party! In case of rain, the party will be held on Mars.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Woo Earth Day! I'm a vegetarian and I recycle if I can.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I just try and conserve. I turn off the lights when I can, I take shorter showers, or less showers, and I try to walk and jog places when it's only a short distance to save on gas.

I'm also big on advocacy. Never undestimate the power of one voice.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Every day is earth day!
[Party]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
i recycle everything my apartment complex allows me too. i have separate bins for my recyclable stuff. my car isnt very earth-healthy, but it goes fast and it's a trade off i dont mind so much even tho i should. as mean as this sounds, i enjoy reading about the efforts to save the planet more so than doing stuff. little things i am proud of, but i dont think i would go to any extremes. i just really hope someone who cares a lot more than i do ends up coming up with a really great fuel, AND a way to slowly phase out the need for oil and keep the politics of it all including the middle east under control. hefty wish, but i still hope for it.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea
Member # 10457

- posted      Profile for Alethea   Email Alethea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Earth Day! Good idea, GForce. It's great to hear about ways people are taking action, rather than us all sitting around spreading doom and gloom about the state of the planet. [Smile]

I'm a big fan of buying locally grown produce, rather than something that has been shipped thousands of miles to end up in my local supermarket. If people knew the real cost of those delicious-looking strawberries from the other end of the continent, would they be so willing to pay up, I wonder?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Only if I couldn't get strawberries locally.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Earth Day!

I don't put too much extra effort into conservation and yet I think I manage to live fairly green. I turn off lights and recycle, mostly by habit now. I make sure to have gas efficient cars, but that's economical too.

I'm currently in training (IE, college) for the biggest way I hope to help the planet: going to work in the space industry. I figure I can help the planet best by finding a way to get us off it and ease the population pressure a little.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

All the resources it would take to do such a thing I think would cancel out the ecological benefits.
Alcon
Member # 6645

Not if the resources themselves come from off planet.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Good point.

Though by the time we're actually able to mine offworld resources and build a fleet capable of moving mass amounts of people off Earth to somewhere else, we'll have already needed to solve our existing problems.

Still, something like that is absolutely essential for the long term prosperity of mankind. Better to start now than later.

Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
Though by the time we're actually able to mine offworld resources and build a fleet capable of moving mass amounts of people off Earth to somewhere else, we'll have already needed to solve our existing problems.
I dunno that this is necessarily true... it may look like it now, but if we work at it hopefully we'll find a quicker, cleaner, cheaper way. I know we certainly won't find one if we don't try.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I certainly hope you do, as soon as possible [Smile]
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Earth!

I'm seriously cutting down my consumption of meat- being vegetarian on this school isn't entirely possible, unless you like absolutely no variety in what you eat, so I'm just cutting back on meat and processed foods- eating more fresh fruit and veggies.

I turn the lights off, take short showers, and walk everywhere(now that it's warm enough to walk).

But the biggest thing I'm doing is my career path- I'm in college as a zoology/forestry and wildlife major in order to pursue a master's in Wildlife Conservation. In other words, I'm gonna be a park ranger someday! I'm excited about this- for motivation, I taped the park ranger's badge to my laptop, so every time I open it up, I see my goal staring me in the face.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GForce
Member # 9584

- posted      Profile for GForce   Email GForce         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome Tinros. Lots of great places left here in the U.S. of A. but some are disappearing faster than others. I had a guy tell me that if I wanted to see Glacier National Park, I better get out there quick, because soon it was just going to be Rock National Park.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
"It's April 21st and everybody knows today is Earth day

Merry Christmas- Happy birthday to whoever's being born..."

Dramarama, What Are We Gonna Do

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
As a school project, a partner and I created sustainablesurfboards.org.

And a friend of mine created another site, savetheplankton.org.

The project was, "Think Globally Act Locally".

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Plankton is also instrumental in a new form of carbon sequestration method being test trialed right now.
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Pardon my ignorance, but what does not eating meat have to do with saving the planet. Is it because of the methane.

Alcon,
What do you do for the space agency. I work for NASA too.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Brojack, I'm not a vegetarian so I don't have the whole spiel down, but basically it's far more efficient to eat fruit and produce than meat. For example, it takes a lots of energy and a massive amount of water to sustain one cow long enough to bring it to market. The extra energy is because a lot is used to harvest the grain that feeds the cow. The calories people obtain from the meat is much less than all of the calories used to feed the cow over it's lifetime.

More calories could be obtained and it would save energy and water if people would eat the grain directly instead of through a "middleman" like a cow or pig. More people could be fed from the same amount of arable (farmable) land. I hope my summary answers your question. [Smile]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.