FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Imus "fires back"

Author Topic: Imus "fires back"
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm.
quote:
Former radio talk show host Don Imus has hired one of the country's top trial lawyers to sue CBS Radio following his dismissal last month for making racial and sexual on-air comments about members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team.

Attorney Martin Garbus told CNN Wednesday that he has agreed to represent Imus in a wrongful breach of contract suit against his former employer.

quote:
Imus had $40 million remaining on a multiyear contact that began in 2006 and included a clause that CBS wanted him to be "irreverent" and "controversial," according to CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin, who was shown part of the contract.

So the situation stands thus, in my reasoning.
  • Imus makes gaffe
  • Imus attacked (not physically attacked, you know what I mean) by civil rights/anti-discriminatory groups.
  • Imus apologizes publicly Imus apologizes publicly
  • Imus is publicly sacked
  • Imus claims that he had a riht to be "contraversial", and sues CBS for breach of contract.
Your thoughts, Hatrack?
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still thinking about it, but Ill write a more extensive opinion when I am off work.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if they really did contract him to be "irreverent" and "controversial," he certainly fulfilled his end of the deal.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
He has a point. If that is in his contract then they don't have much to say. That being said, CBS can still get him for conduct detrimental to the company. Much like military courts almost always getting someone on "Conduct Unbecoming".
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
If they fired him for simply causing a public outcry, that's one thing; but I think they were within their rights in firing him if he had become a liability. I didn't follow the story closely enough to know if advertisers had begun pulling out, but if they were then Imus was no longer an asset to the broadcasters.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently he was too irreverent and controversial.

I think they wanted him to be controversial enough to get free publicity for the show...but not so much as to damage CBS itself. It's a fine line, and Imus crossed it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a stupid line to ask people to dance near.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
From what little I have heard from Imus, those comments were not the worst he has ever said. I wonder what made this comment explode as big as it did?

Either way, good riddance. I don't mind hard core, adult themed shows, I just don't like them over the public airwaves.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

Hear Hear!
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

I'm of the opinion that racist statements definitely cross the line of "contraversial and irreverent".
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
And he...what...doesn't know that there is a difference between being irreverent and controversial and being a racist, sexist jerk?

Please. I don't know which is more stupid...this lawsuit or the judge that is suing his dry cleaners for something like $64 million for losing a pair of his pants.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And he...what...doesn't know that there is a difference between being irreverent and controversial and being a racist, sexist jerk?
Can you explain the difference?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Can you explain the difference?
Well, yeah...Just discuss controversial subjects or topics that some people hold sacred without using racist epithets or insulting people based on their gender or sexual orientation.

Watch Keith Olbermann sometime. He is often controversial and irreverent (and very funny)...heck, he's sometimes (often) witheringly insulting to people he thinks are less than the sharpest crayons in the box...but I've never heard him using racist or sexist language. I suspect the same is true about Jon Stewart, but I haven't seen his show enough to know that for a fact.

I don't know, maybe our culture has devolved to the point where it is impossible to get a laugh from some audiences (which, I assume, is what Imus was trying to do) without insulting someone based on their ethnicity or gender. I hope not, and I hope that most people can discuss (for laughs or seriously) controversial topics or things like religion, where irreverence is most likely to occur, without having to call names, be they racist or sexist.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Well, yeah...Just discuss controversial subjects or topics that some people hold sacred without using racist epithets or insulting people based on their gender or sexual orientation.
So, he's supposed to be irreverent while holding race, gender, and sexual orientation sacred.

What makes those three particular things so special that they are off limits, whereas everything else is fair game?

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
LMA, I agree with Porter. I'm afraid that 'controversial and irreverant' are such subjective terms that to define them as precisely as you are doing is an exercise in futility.

At what point does a racist remark go from irreverant to intolerable? Is Mel Brooks crossing the line when he played Rabbi Tuckman?

Edit:
quote:
...sometimes (often) witheringly insulting to people he thinks are less than the sharpest crayons in the box...
I'm curious: why is it acceptable to be rude and insulting on the basis of their perceived stupidity, and not on their race, gender, or nationality?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"...race, gender, and sexual orientation...What makes those three particular things so special that they are off limits, whereas everything else is fair game?"

They ain't. But mentioning hair is totally outta bounds.

[ May 04, 2007, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
CBS should pay Imus because of the contract they signed with him. CBS can put him on the 'bench' but they should be forced to honor the contract that they signed with him. Imus was doing what CBS paid him to do, so if they want to break his contract they should have to pay him.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe we're going to now require that a judge determine what constitutes an "appropriate" level of controversial irreverence.

[ May 04, 2007, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.