FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rebuild of Evangelion

Author Topic: Rebuild of Evangelion
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to search if there was a pre-existing thread about this already, but couldn't find any... but if there was please don't eat me.

So, the first one of the Rebuild movies is due out this autumn (in Japan at least), and I'm awaiting it with both horror and glee. I really hope they'll get the original voice cast back, because I can't imagine Evangelion without Megumi Ogata, Megumi Hayashibara and Yuko Miyamura. Still, it's definitely the upcoming movie I'm currently most looking forward to.

(For those who are going "Huh!?" right now, Rebuild of Evangelion is a new four-part retelling of the anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion that will be produced by Hideaki Anno, the creator of the original Evangelion series. If you haven't seen the original series or the movie End of Evangelion you should do so. Right now. Immediately. I'm telling you. Tomorrow if you don't have time just yet. Or at least by the end of the week.)

The first film will cover the storyline of the first six episodes of the series... If this is so, I find it interesting that they have Kaworu on the poster. Seems his role will be greatly enhanced in this.

Oh, and apparently there's also some sort of a chibi eva thing on the works. (And they don't have chibi Kaworu! [Cry] But at least they have cute and wobbly chibi Eva Unit 1.)

So, anyone else getting as excited about all this as I am?

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...the fourth movie will be a completely new conclusion to the story
That should be interesting...

I also wonder if they'll retcon when the second impact occured, since saying it happened in 2000 doesn't really make sense now, or if it'll just be depicted as an alternate history rather than the near future.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Anno's going back to the well for some more money, huh?

If he can make an ending that doesn't suck, this will be worth it. If it's as weak as both his previous endings, I won't be interested.

I like Eva as a series. Taking its time to get to the end. Enjoying the journey. Pushing that emo button over and over and feeling the hurt. The endings, both of them, were just confusing and boring and didn't tie up the story in a satisfying way at all.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just confused as to why they would re-make the bulk of the series. The pretty universal response that I've heard (and agree with) is the whole "up till the various endings the series was great, then those were just crazy/bad"

so re-doing/adding to the end of the series to either end it differently, or add on more backstory so that whatever they were trying to push in the endings makes some sense. either way I'm sure it will be interesting if nothing else.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not too entirely thrilled about it, wasn't End of Evangelion the... end of Evangelion? I was cool with that.
I loved that movie and it means a great deal to me, Eva was my favorite show in high school and still continues to be one of my favorite things. But seriously, it was over, it ended. It said what it had to say.

...but, I guess not. People still want more and more Eva, and here this is. While it reeks of cashsplotation.. I like to think that Anno wouldn't do it unless he had something significant to relate, so I'll see it. But I can wait.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Robots in Disguise...
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

I don't know... I'm still more excited than not.

I too loved End of Evangelion but I also liked the original series ending so having a third alternative ending to that is just extra bonus for me.

There was the whole Anno's manifesto circulating the Net a while back in which he detailed as to why he wanted to make the new movies. One of the reasons was that he wanted to be able to use the new animation technologies on Evangelion. There was disturbing stuff there as well (such as the idea of making the story more "easy" to comprehend), but overall I don't think Anno is capable of not being interesting no matter what his intentions. In the very least he will piss off his crew again and so the story will be told with cut-outs glued on ice cream sticks for the next two and a half films.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve: It's not really about the giant robots. That's just the backdrop for a heathy dose of Shinji Angst.

The robot fights are just to keep the teen boys watching.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
The original series was excellent - why would the original director feel the need to remake it?

I suppose it could be because many didn't like the ending, but in truth the ending of the original series is probably the most fantastic part of the whole thing. Without an ending like that Evangelion wouldn't be that special of a series, and would be somewhat dishonest - because the series is definitely not really about the giant robot plotline. At the same time, I can also recoginze that perhaps the original director has figured out a way to resolve the true central conflicts in a way that will appeal more to the broader audience. He has probably recognized his message wasn't quite received by the audience. If he can achieve that more effectively this time, I think a remake could be more than worthwhile.

I hope its not just because fans keep asking for more, though. Fans never seem to know when enough is enough.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
give me a little leeway since it's been a few years since I saw the endings of the original series, but my impression of them at the time (iirc) was that they were something like reading Ender's Game and then getting the final chapter to come in and explain that in fact the Buggers were really a the giant preserved bodies of Cain and Abel who really never died but were sent out to space and came back to destroy/save mankind...(note that was just supposed to be some random quasi-mythological gibberish that had nothing to do with the book)

it wasn't necessarily that they were strictly bad so much as the ending just came out of nowhere with all this stuff that didn't seem to have any lead-in from the rest of the series. So if he can actually incorporate some of that backstory as they go along this time I guess I might appreciate it, but...

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

I didn't think the ending came out of nowhere. In many ways I thought it was pretty much the only way the show could have ended. From the beginning Evangelion was more about the internal feelings of the characters than anything else, so from that point of view it was perfectly logical that the Armageddon would occur inside people's minds, not as some big external event.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Yeah the ending (and it really is supposed to be just one ending presented in two different ways) is confusing, but the second or third time through the series you begin to realize that everything that happens builds to it. There may be other ways it could have ended, but what we got wasn't random.

Anyway, who wants to bet that this remake will have a clear-cut happy ending? You know, I don't object to that, per se. It will be interesting after all these years to see Shinji and the gang meet a different fate. Even if it sucks, remakes and adaptations can never actually replace the original, so you can always ignore it if it doesn't suit your taste.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also geeked out for the new movies.
I just hope they stay true to the story, ie the Human Instrumentality Project.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
As the others said, upon previous viewings, you can see the ending coming from a mile away.

In addition... once Kawaru was dead, what else could have happened, given the events that had preceeded said death? The ending did what an ending is supposed to do: Be inevitable yet at the same time totalyl surprising.

And in this case, incredibly opaque.

Anyway, from what I read of Anno's reasoning, it seems he watched the show after a decade or so, just went straight through it, and said "hey. Wait a minute. This was actually pretty good!" And in the end reasoned that since they were older, had better technology, and saw what was right and wrong with the series, it was time to do it again.

I hope it's good, I really do. But either way, we'll still have the original Eva.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, so I found out in another forum a trailer has finally been released:
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=7pfnqsEEEpo

And I have to say, I'm kind of excited now. For some reason the image of Rebuild in my head was one of.. a lot "hipper" animation and visual storytelling.
But, it's the same thing: again!
I'm cool with watching the same thing again, I go back to the series and movie anyway, this is really a pretty cool thing to get considering that - especially if parts of it are going to be different.

Okay, I smile now.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I smiled as well. It seemed... the same.

Only, with some minor differences. But yeah, from what I understand, the changes will grow more in the later stages. And of course, being a trailer, we only see a few short tidbits, nothing concrete, after all.

Also, of course, it looks amazingly gorgous.

Also (again): There are now Evangelion Doritos in Japan.

Don't ask how. Don't ask why.

Just ask how they taste.

Furthermore, and my last edit:

I am growing happier every time I rewatch this preview. I don't know why. The joy of new Eva truly coming, I guess.

I mean, the Live Action one wont' be ready to go until I'm a screenwriter/director probably, at this rate, so... I'll prolly be the guy to make it. But still.. this is SO FREAKING AWESOME!

YAAAAAAAAAAY

[ July 14, 2007, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: 0Megabyte ]

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*drools disgustingly on the floor*
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Meh. Kinda just looks like the same old Eva that's been around for years... Still cool that the series is being revisited though. I look forward to seeing it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.