FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I graduated from college today

Author Topic: I graduated from college today
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a member of hatrack since January 2006, but never introduced myself formally--so this is it. My name is Andy. I got a BS in music from Radford University today. I play piano and I sing. Some of my other interests include dabbling in computer repair/maintenance. I'm an avid chessplayer. I love being outside and doing things outside (because I've spent so much of my time cooped up inside a practice room with nothing but a piano and fluorescent light). I love Orson Scott Card's writing and I love hanging out at this forum.

Everyone has been asking me what I plan on doing next, and I have no idea.

I also like making my posts short and sweet. So here's my hello thread--1 year late.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. I graduated today as well. I got a BA in Historical Studies from the University of Texas at Dallas. So yes, I am officially a college graduate. Now if only someone would offer me a job...
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to both of you. [Smile]

pfresh, what do you expect to do with Historical Studies?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Teach high school history. I've been applying to school districts for the last few months. I'm doing an alternative teacher certification program this summer to get my full certification. If someone offers me a job, then I'm in. If not, then I student teach for a semester and I guess get a part time job for the other semester.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Launchy and Pfresh!

I graduated from UTD today as well. I got a BA in Historical Studies and a BS in Finance. I'm currently looking for a Financial Analyst position.

To all us grads: [The Wave] WOOT!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah, Amanecer beat me at college. Her name was in the program 5 times, while mine was only in it 3 times. [Razz]

But congrats to all of us. We all rock. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to all the new grads. [Smile]

Now get off my lawn, and get a job!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Hatrack's your lawn? Man, what a nice piece of real estate. Well I'll leave before you start telling me about how things were in your day and all. [Razz] [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

In my day, I had a job secured before I graduated. [Razz]

(I will freely admit this was luck and connections more than any effort on my part.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I knew that was coming. I just knew it. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

It wasn't. Not until you gave me a cue I couldn't pass up. [Wink]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Congradulations!!!!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
It wasn't. Not until you gave me a cue I couldn't pass up. [Wink]

That's how I knew it was coming; I knew you wouldn't pass up that cue. [Big Grin] [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

<-- predictable

Alas!

RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!! That will be me in four years! or three, if I pass all my AP tests...

Although I will have a BS in Engineering and a BA in Military History, if I can wangle it.

I cant help laughing at thinking when I graduate, it will be with a piece of paper saying I have [a] BS.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
RunningBear, we tease my husband about that all the time (he's due to graduate in September) and also my almost-step-brother-in-law (who has a BS in chemistry. That one makes for some REALLY funny jokes. You see, what he does with his degree in chemistry is work at a place where they treat sewage.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to the graduates!
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Another 3 and a half for me.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
<-- predictable

Alas!

Eh, anyone would have taken the bait. I know I would have. [Smile]
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Neat!!! I'm in highschool, and I'm planning on going to college and double majoring in Music Performance - Piano, and English... I want to edit (Fiction, preferably) as my day job, because I don't the idea of playing chamber music for money (It's an ideal, leave it alone. LOL). I'm a soloist <Toss hair back and hold face in a dramatic profile of intense musicality and passion>

So... Now just to figure out how people get into editing, and how on earth I'm going to manage double majoring!

And to those with historical studies majors, congrats, my favorite singer/artist started out as a history teacher in Minnisota.

This doesn't apply to you at all, but I find it interesting.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got two weeks to go to graduation - that, and a final, senior thesis, and term paper! Yay to graduating (even though I've already signed myself up for at least 5 more years of work).
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be graduating in a month with my B.A.S. in Musicology and English lit, but I decided to add an emphasis in composition, (and a semester in England) so I'll be graduating a year from now with my useless triple major. [Big Grin]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Less than a week to my MA. [Big Grin]

Congratulations to everyone who's already done!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RunningBear:

I cant help laughing at thinking when I graduate, it will be with a piece of paper saying I have [a] BS.

Maybe that's why around here we call it a B.Sc.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

MS - More of the Same
PhD - Piled Higher and Deeper

[Wink]

HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ye gods does that seem true some days.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I know I will have a pile in six years...
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm half way there. Congrats to those who've graduated!
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Got my hood today. [Smile] It was hotter than Hades here, but at least the arena was air-conditioned.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Congrats, Carrie. Party time.

[Party]

Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!!
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats grads.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Awesome, Carrie. [Big Grin]
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So... Now just to figure out how people get into editing, and how on earth I'm going to manage double majoring!
I'm a double major, it's no big deal. Just means you get to take less electives, that's all. And you might be in college a bit longer, I'm taking about 20 hours beyond what a single major would take. That's two semesters, more or less depending on how many hours you take in a semester. If you push yourself and have a couple of 18 hour semesters, then it's not bad at all.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations all.

I'm a year away from my degree, but sadly they only give BAs in my school, even when you major in Astrophysics.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
The first guy to graduate from Weber State after it became a four year school got a BA in Autobody. I played for the graduation so I was there. He was Iranian and his name started with Ab that's why he was the first.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard the word "Autobody" until today. My imagination has been running wild with what it means.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
If you find a BA in Autobody to be "thought provoking", you might want to consider my undergraduate degree is a BM.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.