FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Comparing Education systems (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Comparing Education systems
Adam_S
Member # 9695

- posted      Profile for Adam_S   Email Adam_S         Edit/Delete Post 
universal, cumpulsory education is still a somewhat infant phenomenon, generally speaking. a hundred years ago, the US was going through a high school building boom, and those that attended high school were expected to get a classic academic education. Academic being the operative word here. Academic education was the 'open sesame' to getting into college to become a doctor or a lawyer, and until about a hundred years ago academic education was generally inaccessible without immense strenuous efforts (see Abe Lincoln). Lawyers got rich, became politicians, in general were seen as running the country, as the guy in charge. And by and large, parents wanted that for their children--it was a way up and out from the daily subsistence economy most of the middle and lower classes are familiar with. Especially parents who were former slaves or were from the various waves of German (my ancestors) Irish and Italian immigrants during that time period. High schools in every sizable town started to make that sort of success seem possible for even the most average, just-getting-by family

Quite simply, although they spearheaded the high school building boom with the enthusiastic votes and tax support of the immigrant base, the cultural leaders simply did not think it was possible for the children of slaves in particular or the children of Italians and Irish as having a brain capable of receiving an academic eduction. It was thought that these races were only capable of vocational education, and it was over great protestations of the community that vocational programs were introduced to high school curricula, in many instances, blotting out the academic curricula needed to gain entrance to college. It caused immediate segregation and reinforced the 'differences' between the natives and immigrants. Although academic classes still remained, having variety meant a need for 'choice' and since counselors and administrators believed in the same cutting edge eugenics, that 'choice' became an enforced segregation on economic and racial boundaries.

Most black high schools were closed down, because the initial ones had been entirely academic, immensely successful, and led to such institutions as the Tuskeegee Institute. But since it was 'impossible' that blacks were actually as intelligent as whites, the schools were either closed or converted entirely to subvocational education (not as 'complex' as the white vocational schools, no one wanted blacks competing for the good vocational jobs). And in many ways, since these were schools in major urban areas, I don't think the African American community has ever recovered.

So, Nick, the tension between vocational and academic education has a long and inglorious history of segregation, you're the 'beneficiary' of a system designed to make sure you go to college (which supposedly will make you a better member of the economy) based on the idea that the only consistent and reliable way to earn a better than subsistence lifestyle was through college.

As Puppy mentioned, the problem is that there is often still no integration between the two, the college prep track kids are engineered to rarely mix with the votech kids, which naturally impairs potential friendships and other interactions. In my first high school, it was entirely possible (indeed encouraged) to get a balanced education between athletics/music/art, academic and votech fields. I was very excited about the possibilities and that I would get to pursue subjects like auto mechanics and woodworking to a higher level. At my second high school (we moved), you could not integrate all three. There was virtually no art program, the athletics was pathetic for non varsity or JV competitors and the credit system was designed so that votech was only available in 3 credit blocks, making it impossible to take a single votech class if you were taking the necessary college prep advanced, IB and AP courseload, since those courses were only offered once a day there was never a three hour window available to college prep students. I still got an excellent education out of highschool, but I know I would have enjoyed it more at my first high school. [Frown]

Posts: 128 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second the (far) above post--isn't it possible that this is an extension of the market? People will shift to whichever field/industry they feel is most profitable--and society will try to educate its people to be as productive as possible. Right now, in the US, that means a trending away from traditional manufacturing career paths. We (as a nation) will leverage our competitive advantage(s).
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
isn't it possible that this is an extension of the market? People will shift to whichever field/industry they feel is most profitable--and society will try to educate its people to be as productive as possible.
From my limited experience teaching and dealing with school budgeting, no.

"Society" doesn't try to educate its people based on market forces.

Woodshop is cut often because of the space it takes up in the building, the costs of materials and maintenance, and the additional cost of insurance. That space and money is "better served" elsewhere - with the "elsewhere" being based on the values of the school board and the demands of NCLB.

The woodshop isn't cut because "there just isn't a need" - but because money is finite, and standardized test prep books take precedence.

It's the same with music, art, etc. They are not tested subjects, and as such deserve less funding.

I'll have to get to Adam's post later, as I don't have time to post more now.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.