FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » International Flight

Author Topic: International Flight
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know what the current recommendations are for what time to get to the airport for an international flight? I've been searching all over the FAA and TSA websites, as well as the airport's website and wikipedia, but I can't find anything. I can always just ask when I call the airline tomorrow to double check my reservation, but I figured I would ask here first.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Two hours is usually a safe bet.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually hear two hours as well. When we took my father to the airport on Monday, we dropped him off at 1 and his flight was at 3. So yeah, two hours is probably good.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Two hours is probably okay, but I'd maybe give it an extra half hour "just in case". Of course, I also have all my clocks currently set 22 minutes fast to make up for my perpetual lateness for everything, so YMMV.

Do you have e-tickets? I believe they usually put airport arrival time recommendations somewhere in the fine print under the flight details stuff.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I always get there an hour and a half early, and generally I always end up zipping through security and I'm stuck waiting for 45 minutes, but that has yet to deter me from continuing to arrive early. The one time I decide to get there late will be the time that it screws me over.

But I don't know about international flights. It's been awhile.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it also depends on what airport you're flying out of. If it's someplace along the lines of JFK in terms of size and chaos, I'd defnitely give it a bit more than two hours to be on the safe side.

Where are you going, btw?

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on both airport and airline.

But two hours should be safe.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
It also depends on when you're leaving - some hours/days tend to get more passengers at certain airports.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go with 2 hours. Also, if you're driving to the airport, don't forget to factor in time to park and take the stupid shuttle. (The one time I missed a plane was because of that. *grrrr*)
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I always give myself three hours, but I do usually end up waiting a while. The last time I gave myself four because of train issues (the train schedules were such that I either would give myself four hours or two), and I only got to the gate ten minutes before boarding, because the line to check baggage was so amazingly long.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.