FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help! Cat urine in upholstery

Author Topic: Help! Cat urine in upholstery
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
We went away for a few days and my two cats expressed their displeasure by spraying on an upholstered chair. I've spot cleaned it with an all purpose cleaner, with a white vinegar solution and sprayed it liberally with Febreeze, but the odor persists. Does anyone have any suggestions for a product or solution that will eliminate cat urine odor?
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a product that you should be able to find in the cat isle at a store, that works, but at the moment I forget what it is called, and we're out.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a product called Resolve. It seems to get the smell out, and it dossn't smell great itself, but the smell is not that objectionable to humans and quickly fades. The cats really dislike the smell, though, and it helps to keep them from using the same spot again. You should probably test it on a small part of the fabric in an unobtrusive place to be sure it won't damage it. I've had good luck with it on all my various rugs and carpets, and on furniture too.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lavalamp
Member # 4337

- posted      Profile for Lavalamp           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a home recipe
Posts: 300 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Nature's Miracle works pretty well. It's a neutralizer, and I THINK they make one just for cats. The general purpose one works fine, though.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I have had great success with the enzymatic cleaners from a pet store. Any clerk can probably help you. These were the only type of cleaner that did more than mask the odor, but actually neutralized it.

The brand Sharpie mentioned, Nature's Miracle, is one of these types of cleaner. PetSmart carries it, as do some other places. I think you will find it quite helpful.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Pee on the upholstery yourself. Show the cat who's boss.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

We had a cat that used to do that rather habitually until we started covering the couch in tinfoil to scare him off of it when he jumped up to pee. I can't remember what we used to get the smell out though.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had pretty good luck with a product called Bac-Out , if you can find it.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Gasoline and matches should do the trick. [Wink]

If you get the smell out with something else, let me know!

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I can second that Nature's Miracle works pretty well.

Also - not directly related - but anyone trying to get their cat to stop peeing on the couch should keep it covered with one of those plastic floor mats with the prickly side up. My fiancee and I just discovered this after two months of trying just about every solution on earth.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*nods

Bac-Out is also an enzymatic cleaner.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
The only product I could find locally is Wee-Wee Cat Stain & Odor Remover. According to the ingredients, it's an enzymatic cleaner as well.. I applied it liberally as per instructions and am waiting for it to dry to see if it performs as promised. If it doesn't work, I'll get some Nature's Miracle from Amazon, I guess.

Mahalo for all your help.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

How's it going, maui babe? *interested

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.