FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movies You Wish They'd Make (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Movies You Wish They'd Make
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
A live-action film of Howl's Moving Castle, with Jonathan Rhys-Meyers from a few years ago playing Howl (he can't do it now, his face is all wrong).
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see a movie adaptation of Harry Harrison' Deathworld, preferably all three, but I'd settle for one.

Besides that, it would be awesome to have a Marvel crossover flick, combining the characters from the movies sofar (X-men, FF, Spidey, Daredevil, Elektra and so on...). Perhaps they could try to capture the Infinity Wars on screen. The host of characters would make it hard to create lots of psychological background, but that doesn't matter since the battle scenes would probably be mind-blowing... [Smile]

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, he's all beefed up and manly now, Fyfe. I guess feline androgyny just stopped selling after Ziggy Stardust died.

That, and he's an infamous over-acter, which actually works in his favor in dramatic period pieces. I loved him in the Governess.
Snicker, snicker, snicker.

Daredevil: Born Again would make a fantastic movie.
I think it is one of the best Daredevil story arcs, not to mention probably the best thing Frank Miller has ever done. It is a close second to DKR.

I really wish they hadn't gotten the go-ahead on the awful Ben Affleck film. Other than the movie just being crappy and not capturing the spirit of Daredevil, Affleck was *so* miscast. His physicality wasn't even right! That matters in a superhero flic. All I could think about was "But he's so beefy and inflexible...and has a huge head!"

Le sigh.

[ May 15, 2007, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: porcelain girl ]

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo St. Elmo:
I'd like to see a movie adaptation of Harry Harrison' Deathworld, preferably all three, but I'd settle for one.

Oh yeah... Or maybe a Stainless Steel Rat film.

Has anyone ever made a Pern film? I think' they'd translate well.

How about the Wizard of Earthsea? Lots of atmospheric mist!

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see a new technology Nightmare Before Christmas -style stop motion animation about the Moomin books by Tove Jansson. There is the British one from the 70's and it's charming enough, but with proper new technology it'd be amazing. Especially the closer they stuck to the books.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about Ben Affleck as Daredevil...the playground fight against Elektra was the fakest movie fight scene in the past 10 years. Combine that with 'OIY NEVAH MISS' and you have the most forgettable Marvel comic movie of the modern era. I can't even remember if they left the chance for Fisk to still be alive, Spiderman has fought the Kingpin, right?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I think you should try your hand at writing us a screenplay for The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I have never read a book that is so beautifully set up to be filmed...and then never filmed!! What is that about?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
A remake of Clue could be hysterical if it were cast right.

See, THAT'S the problem with Hollywood... You don't re-make something that was done correctly in the first place!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
That's a good list, Chris, but why would you pick Oath of Fealty?

<shrug> Think of it as evolution in action.
That's funny Lisa. That phrase is one of the few things that stood out in Oath of Fealty. But this thread is not "Bumper stickers you wish they'd make." OoF was weak compared to other Niven and Pournelle collaborations.

Chris, it's true that Lucifer's Hammer would be another disaster film among many. But Mote could be a great Galactic Empire sci-fi epic film.

Excession by Ian Banks would be another great epic. Or Neverness and War in Heaven by Zindell. Or A Fire Upon the Deep by the great Vernor Vinge.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
A movie with Johnny Depp, Emily Watson, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Laura Linney and Kaoru of Dir en grey, because I like him and it would be nice to see him on the big screen.
I don't know what the movie would be about, but with those actors (well, Kaoru isn't an actor, I just like him) it could not possibly be a bad movie!
And Jennifer Connely must be in it too!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein.
Yes!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Hiyao Miyazaki doing Ender's Game.

If not that then Seventh Son and Red Prophet as one movie.

Only downside to the second option is I'd want the rest of the books done and I wouldn't get my wish.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:
Bourne Identity (from the book)

I don't think that's possible now.
It was a 1988 TV movie/miniseries with Richard Chamberlain and Jaclyn Smith:

Netflix link

IMDB link

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:

I'll second both.
quote:
How about the Wizard of Earthsea? Lots of atmospheric mist!
I think there may have been a made for tv series, but I'm not sure.

---

Edited to add:

Earthsea on SciFi.com (took a while to load on my machine)

[ May 14, 2007, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The TV adaptation of Earthsea was as horrid as the film adaptation of Starship Troopers. Even LeGuin said it was crap.

However, Ghibli studios is doing another adaptation of Earthsea (link goes to wikipedia) which I am looking forward to.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
The TV adaptation of Earthsea was as horrid as the film adaptation of Starship Troopers. Even LeGuin said it was crap.

However, Ghibli studios is doing another adaptation of Earthsea (link goes to wikipedia) which I am looking forward to.

It was actually done by Miyazaki's son who initially was at odds with his father for doing it. Apparently upon seeing his son's work midway through production Miyazaki gave the project his blessing.

LeGuin was ultimately unhappy with studio Ghibli's adaption of her book [Frown] She said it was a good movie but not her book. But hey Diana Wynne Jones said similar things about Howls Moving Castle in anime form but I greatly enjoyed the movie.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Hiyao Miyazaki doing Ender's Game.

Only downside to the second option is I'd want the rest of the books done and I wouldn't get my wish.

Oh, baby
The thought of that makes me drool!
If not him, then the dood that did Perfect Blue.
That was a cool movie.
With Yoko Kanno doing the sound track. *hearts*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cramming an entire novel into just one movie is such a daunting task that it is rarely done well -- trying to cram two novels into one movie is a bad idea.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

It was actually done by Miyazaki's son who initially was at odds with his father for doing it. Apparently upon seeing his son's work midway through production Miyazaki gave the project his blessing.
The way I've seen it spun is that he never fully approved of the movie or his son directing.
Here's more info on the father/son feud as well as on Hayao's new Little Mermaid project. Apparently it could be the whole thing has been blown out of proportions as a publicity stunt...

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

As good as Yoko Kanno is, I'd be mostly happy with Nobuo Uematsu doing the music. If not him then Yasunori Mitsuda.

If anybody knows any western composers who write in that style I would LOVE to hear about them.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:
Cramming an entire novel into just one movie is such a daunting task that it is rarely done well -- trying to cram two novels into one movie is a bad idea.
Well initially I thought because there was some overlap it would work out, but now that I think about it I think you are right.

I hope in 10-15 years a Harry Potter TV series is attempted. That could be potentially breath taking IMO.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
"Chris, I think you should try your hand at writing us a screenplay for The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I have never read a book that is so beautifully set up to be filmed...and then never filmed!! What is that about?"

It was reported in 2004 that Tim Minear was taking a shot at the screenplay, and it's been mentioned off and on since then. Minear is a Heinlein fan but he's not blind to the problems of making a movie out of a great book -- it's not suited to be a movie, for one thing; too much philosophy, too long a span involved, etc.

I am, however, hopeful, because Minear is one of the few people I think could handle my favorite Heinlein book well.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever since I was a kid I've wanted to see some sort of movie adaptation of the Barsoom novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs. They're set on Mars, written in the early 1900s by the guy who created Tarzan. They have everything you could want in a story: exotic locales, gorgeous heroines, evil scary 15 foot tall four-armed green Martians - with swords, edge of the seat cliffhanger action, awesomely manly earthman transported mystically to Mars, swordfighting, huge airbattles, you name it. John Carter, Warlord of Mars!! Woohoo!
Somebody please make it!

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
John Carter of Mars is in production, I believe.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

You're kidding. Really? Wow!
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see Eragon turned into a movie.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it's not suited to be a movie, for one thing; too much philosophy, too long a span involved, etc.

I think it's perfectly suited to be a movie. The philosophy can be taken care of pretty swiftly, but the setting, exposition, climax, and ending just seem to be made for the screen. I thought that the first time I read it. I'd love to see what Minear or Joss could do with it.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todoni
Member # 10460

- posted      Profile for Todoni           Edit/Delete Post 
(besides Ender's Game, which is a duh sorta thing)

"Ruled Brittania" by Harry Turtledove

"Lovelock" by you-know-who [Hail]

"Lilac Bus" by Maeve Binchy

"Starship Troopers" by Heinlein, except this time stick to the story written by Heinlein

and a good biography of Fritz Kreisler, the violinist

Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todoni
Member # 10460

- posted      Profile for Todoni           Edit/Delete Post 
oh! and I forgot...a
a new Chevy Chase vacation movie, called
"Grandparent's Vacation"

This time he takes Rusty's kids on Disney-style cruise ship...lots of fun making fun of Wally World and all that
plus you could have a cameo of Anthony Michael Hall at the beginning and end when he goes to the airport to pickup and drop off his kids....to make it especially ironic, have Molly Ringwald as his wife....just cameo parts, really, they could manage it!

Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I think someone should do Alan Moore's "Top Ten", not as a movie, but as a series or mini-series. Pretend it's a straight-up cop drama, keeping a straight face about the fact that everyone in the city is a superhero.

I'd love to see more non-Japanese animation that isn't aimed at children. I'm not talking about, say, Heavy Metal, but- no talking animals, cute sidekicks, musical numbers, spunky teenage heroines, or fart jokes. I'm hoping the Dragonlance movie isn't a complete debacle.

I'd love for someone to try to take on Zelazny's Amber books, or perhaps just the first two, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I want them to make another prison escape movie reminiscent of 'The Shawshank Redemption', even though I dobut that there is any director out there that can tell a story as patiently as the Shawshank one.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Starship Troopers" by Heinlein, except this time stick to the story written by Heinlein
Same, for The Postman, by David Brin.

And The Miocene Arrow.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:

I'll second both.
Thirded! I believe the Pern novels have been optioned, but all options have currently expired.

quote:
I think they need to make a movie based on So You Want to be a Wizard? by Diane Duane.

Those not only have a current option, last I heard she was working on a screenplay.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cashew:
You're kidding. Really? Wow!

Link the first.

Link the second.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Thanks Lisa. After your first post on John Carter I googled it and found some stuff. It looks like it's kinda on the backburner. Appreciate the links though.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
I think they need to make a movie based on So You Want to be a Wizard? by Diane Duane.

Those not only have a current option, last I heard she was working on a screenplay.
That excites me. That series is my guilty pleasure. I've read it a few times. I find them highly entertaining and an enjoyable read. I just recently bought the 8th one in paperback. It's really good so far.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
This is from the author's mouth.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dog Walker
Member # 8301

- posted      Profile for Dog Walker           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
I'd love to see a good adaptation of a Steven Brust novel, although it'd be difficult to get the inner voice of Vlad just right - maybe a voice over?

I'm with you on this one. It would be intresting how they dealt with the mind talking between Vlad and his Jherg, and where they start the story at.

I'ld like to see Donaldson's Tomas Covenant as a movie. Just the first three though. They might have to tone it down a bit.

As for OSC books Ender's Game and wyrms would be intresting movies.

And has anyone else seen Mystery Men?? I think I am the only one who saw it and enjoyed it. I would love to see Mystery Men 2.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, that's very true about Vlad's inner monologues and dialogs with Loiosh. It's crucial to the storytelling, yet too many voice overs kill a movie (for me, anyway.) It would be hard to balance that.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be happy when the Dragonlance movie finally gets released. Supposedly they're casting and everything, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'd also love to see Foundation done as a PBS style documentary with the smarmy voice over telling us how important it all was. But I have an odd sense of humor.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
I remember when ElfQuest was good.

Now it reads like the Pinis are doing fan-fic of their own characters. [Frown]

Yeah [Cry]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Skellig, by David Almond.

It's a short, well paced, absolutely beautiful book. It would make a wonderful, wonderful movie.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Hans Christian Anderson's The Snow Queen, done as a big budget full length all-star animated 2-D musical.

Oh man! Yes! I love this story! It's literally one of my favorite fairy tales ever! I would also love to see The Dancing Shoes by the Brothers Grimm be made into a 2-D movie. It would be amazing.

I second (third, fourth?) The Wizard of Earthsea and the Pern series. The Wizard of Earthseas miniseries on SciFi was horrible and didn't capture the essence of the books. They need to do that one right.

I would also like to see either a series or a set of movies based on Asimov's Foundation series. It's one of my favorite of all times and there's so much material you can use from it.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, what say you of Heinlein's The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag? A pair like Nick and Nora Charles, on par with William Powell/ Myrna Loy charisma, trying to unravel Hoag and those behind the mirrors should be filmed too.
Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Thirded! I believe the Pern novels have been optioned, but all options have currently expired.

Copperheart Entertainment still holds the movie option they got back in spring of 2006. They have yet to do anything with it. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I stand corrected. [Smile]

It may be too much to hope that it goes anywhere, though. [Frown]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Fallout, I think it would kill if done right

And I mega xth the cry for Vlad Taltos movies.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Too true, rivka. Purchasing the option is still miles upon miles away from the greenlighting of an actual Dragonriders movie.

Still, it's better than nothing.

The link Steve gave to Diane Duane's blog makes some very good points about the hopes and pitfalls of the option to a series being purchased.

For every Harry Potter or Chronicles of Narnia there's an Eragon.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I read her blog regularly -- well, as regularly as I read any blog, which means not in the past few weeks. She was posting snippets of the in-process screenplay for a while.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.