FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm ba-ack...

Author Topic: I'm ba-ack...
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
For the last year or so I've been at a place called Buffyworld forums. For the most part I've been avoiding political discussion, which I'm simply exhausted with. It's not as though the arguments change much of anything, especially considering how unpersuasive I am. Still, I find I can't entirely stay away.

For several months now I've been writing Buffyverse fanfic and am currently in the middle of an epic tale ("DeadWar"). (Speaking of which, I could use a beta-reader, if anyone around here is willing.) It's astonishing that I've managed to begin writing again at all, to tell the truth.

Unfortunately, BWF has begun suffering serious outages due to an unconcerned proprietor--he does temporary repairs from time to time but seems unable or unwilling to make a permanent fix to the database. Therefore I'm searching for somewhere else to natter on.

I don't know who, if anyone, still remembers me around here...but here I am.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
You formerly posted as Maccabeus, right? We met at the 2004(?) WenchCon. Has it been that long?

I'm glad you're back, and I hope you're doing well. [Smile]

Buffyverse fanfic? <shudders>

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Yeah. I was here for a while as Mabus, too. We've spoken since then, or so I thought.

Sorry to make you shudder.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. I remember you fondly, for what it's worth.

Welcome back. [Smile]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Hi, Eaquae Legit....I recall your name, but not who you are. [Smile]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Mabus. Hope you and yours are doing well.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Hey, Claudia! :hug: I'm suffering from some monetary problems following the massive hit I took from taxes, but other than that I'm good.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Taxes suck. But they make the government go 'round. (They still suck.)

*hug

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Taxes suck. But they make the government go 'round.

Never have I heard a better reason to stop paying taxes. Thanks CT! [Wink]

Oh, and welcome back Mabus.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Well, you know, send me a letter with your new address when you move out to where you aren't relying on government assistance anymore. No, wait ...

Email?

No, wait ...

[Wink]

---

Edited to add: tongue-in-cheek, just joshin' you back. Also "government assistance" = "roads, police protection, schools for kids in the community, public sanitation, etc." not specifically financial assistance. I reread the post and cringed -- I wasn't meaning to insult, really. *anxious

Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, no offense taken, really. I'm just a young punk who is growing to like the idea of small government more and more.

Oh yeah...and I'll contact you by carrier pigeon. Or smoke signal. [Wink]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Hello, Javert. And Myr! [Smile] How's it going with you folks?

And I didn't mean to start a dispute about taxation! But why someone with my income should have to pay about $500 is beyond me. (It was all that I had in the bank at the time. I just can't manage to save anything.)

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

<- practically lives at work, and loves it! There's my life in a nutshell [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

What have you been doing, Myr? I practically live at work too, but I hate it. [Frown]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
What pairings do you write or like in the buffyverse? What time frame do you write? Spike or Angel, who is better?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Breyer, I write any and all pairings but care for none (except that I have a soft spot for Tillow--strange, I know). I'm not really much of a shipper, period. I tend toward darkfic, though I've also written some silly or "hopeful" pieces.

So far I've written quite a few different time frames, although I don't believe I've done anything really early yet. The most ambitious, in terms solely of time frame, were two fics in which Buffy was 90 (possibly will make it a trilogy in future).

Spike and Angel are both fairly ambigous to me. I don't have any clear affection for either of them. In a marginal sort of way, I suppose I favor Spike, who chose to move toward redemption on his own--though admittedly with suspect motives.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. Of course I'm entirely opposite, like Spuffy and Xanya (though I've never seen it written that way [Wink] ), usually I like stuff written to be around the time "season 8" is starting. I'd really like to read your buffy being 90 stuff though.

And I do remember your names, but I think you were leaving when I registered.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

The Djinni Asked Me How I Wanted to Die is the first (for short I just call it "Djinni"). It wasn't originally meant to have a sequel; it was inspired by a recent Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter collaboration.

Sometime later I wrote Two Boats and a Helicopter, set in the same time frame but with a very different emphasis. If you hunt around my LJ, you can find most of my other fic, too.

I remember talking with you from time to time, but I've been in and out more than once--it's my pattern online. So I may in fact have left, then met you again later.

I also have a very dark epic fic in progress, "DeadWar", which is set about 2 years after S7's end--close but not exactly the time frame you like.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Two years is close enough, just being post Angel ending makes me happy. I hadn't really seen anything that much later than that (other than stuff where buffy happily marries a man, never tells him anything about her vampire past and never deals with it again, essencially a story with the name buffy in it).
Mabus
Member # 6320

Yeah, that sounds very "Buffy" [/snark]. Buffy is a vampire in DeadWar, if a peculiar one...I'm trying to explore the nature of evil in the Buffyverse.
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Mabus I remember you like you never left...
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

That's good to hear, Phanto. [Smile] I somewhat remember you, but not that well, I'm afraid.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

To answer your question - I'm a landscape architect. So it changes week to week and sometimes day to day, hour to hour... I would die without the variety in activities!
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Raaaarhhgh!

*bites Mabus on the kneecap*

Rememeaabh me nowww??

[Wink]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Phanto! Arggh!! OWW! Yeah, I think I remember that...

Myr, you lucky girl...Unbelievably jealous here.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.