FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rootbeers all around!

Author Topic: Rootbeers all around!
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been trying to decide what to do until I get my degree in September. I had considered odd jobs, temp jobs, etc...well, today I received a full-time offer!

I will be working as a Tax consultant for a large tax firm that has clients worldwide. I get to do what I love doing, gain experience, and get paid for it! I am really excited that they offered me a position before I graduate.

The benefits are great and I am getting paid the same amount as my last job. The best part is that when I get my EA license, my salary will increase another $10,000 and I will be allowed to take every other Friday off!

The only downside is that tax season will be pretty rough and I will be working from 85-100 hours a week from January through April, but I thought it called for a celebration anyway!

[Party]

Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! [Party] Sounds like a great job.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

For those who don't know what an EA license is:

quote:
An Enrolled Agent (EA) is a federally-authorized tax practitioner who has technical expertise in the field of taxation and who is empowered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before all administrative levels of the Internal Revenue Service for audits, collections, and appeals.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
You think tax season is going to be rough? Try working for the IRS!

Congratulations.

Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Allow me to be the first to wish you Mazel Tov!

Mmmm...root beer! I'd like mine with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, please.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Horaay. Congratulations. My baby got a job today too. She was a mid-year grad and has been on an unsuccessful job search for a while now. Today must be the "job offer day". Sometimes the good guys win one.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, KPC!!!!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool] Congratulations.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mmmm...root beer! I'd like mine with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, please.
Ha! I KNEW Tante was a closet Mormon!

Also... 100 hours a week?? Are there even 100 hours IN a week?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are billable hours. I'm sure my attorney bills for that many hours every week. My phone call is fifteen minutes minimum even if I'm a wrong number.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, KPC! [Party]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! [Big Grin]

Make mine a cream soda instead, please.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also... 100 hours a week?? Are there even 100 hours IN a week?
Actually, they plan on having us work 6 days a week working from early in the morning until midnight on some nights. In January - March 15, it will probably be 85 hours, but the last month will be 100 (or so they say).
Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
...which is fairly typical of accounting offices...
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie:
[QUOTE]Also... 100 hours a week?? Are there even 100 hours IN a week?

168, to be exact. [Wink]

Congratulations! I had root beer with my burger today, so I feel like I've celebrated already. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning on being on vacation while he's working 100 hours a week (or I'd go crazy.) Maybe the girls and I will take a trip with multiple stops and visit lots of Jatraqueros. Since he'll be getting overtime and huge bonuses, we'll be able to afford that...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[Smile] Even better. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. [Smile] He'd been trying to decide whether he wanted to get a CPA, EA, or nothing for a while after he finished his degree. The fact that they'll pay for his EA (including any prep he needs and the testing and licensing) and then immediately give him a $10,000/yr raise and every other Friday off (well, not during tax season, but the rest of the year) kind of made that decision easy. He may later decide to go for his CPA but for now being an EA is very valuable in itself, and since taxes is all he really wants to do this is kind of the perfect job for him...

Also, they promised that he will never have to to work on Sunday. [Cool]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a great job, Congrats! [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done KPC. I raise my suitably non-alcoholic glass to you!

(not sure what root beer is...)

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:

(not sure what root beer is...)

It's a carbonated soft drink with a fairly high sugar content and a slightly herbal, somewhat medicinal taste. Some brands taste slightly spicy, rather like a mild ginger beer with additional herbs, and some taste more like a cream soda.

Wikipedia on root beer (I didn't know there was an alcoholic version! Learn something new every day!)

anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks KQ - you are now my GoTo Girl for all things condimentary and beverage related. [Wink] I've learned my new thing for today - can I go home now?

Mind you, I think I'll stick to ginger beer if you don't mind, it has equally good celebratory properties, but doesn'taste of medicine!

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, KetchupPrinceConsort! [Hat]
It's great that you have a job in your field before graduation. Your hard work has paid off. [Smile]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Congraturlations, Ketchup Prince Consort. That's great news.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
"It's vile."
"I know. It's so bubbly and cloying and happy."
"Just like the Federation."
"But you know what's really frightening? If you drink enough of it, you start to like it."
"It's insidious."
"Just like the Federation."

- Garak and Quark, on root beer

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
As the wife of a CPA I can tell you that anyone who might be interesed in seeing you during busy season should pursue other interests. I don't think it is possible to work 100 hours a week without working on Sunday. In June my husband is gone from 6 AM to midnight Mon-Sat and usually puts in about 85 hours. I don't know how you'd fit in fifteen more hours without giving up sleep completely.

Congrats on the job, though. Especially if it's a big firm, opportunities for advancement come quickly as do salary increases, usually. If you can pay your dues now you'll have a healthy career down the line.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
Thanks KQ - you are now my GoTo Girl for all things condimentary and beverage related. [Wink] I've learned my new thing for today - can I go home now?

Mind you, I think I'll stick to ginger beer if you don't mind, it has equally good celebratory properties, but doesn'taste of medicine!

The word medicine did not even enter my mind when I thought of root beer. You really ought to try it, its quite a bit different then ginger beer/ale. If you can find it in Europe, IBC root beer is my favorite brand. But A&W root beer is widely considered the quintessential root beer manufacturer. If you have ever had sasperella its quite close to that taste, but much better IMO.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm, root beer.

Congrats, Ketchups!!! [Smile]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
The word medicine did not even enter my mind when I thought of root beer.
Well, Alton Brown says it's a slightly medicinal taste, and ever since I heard that, I have to agree when I drink it. But in a good way. [Smile]

Of course, both the brands you mentioned are more on the "cream soda" side of the scale than the "medicinal/ginger beer" side. So maybe you automatically think of the milder ones when you think of root beer. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I don't know how you'd fit in fifteen more hours without giving up sleep completely.

Well, 168 hours/week, -100 hours of work, 68 hours left; -24 hours for midnight Sat. to midnight Sun.; 44 hours; /6 days in a week that are not Sun.= 7 1/3 hours/day when it's not Sunday that he's not working. So if he works through meals and snacks at his desk (pretty much assumed), and works from 6 to 11 or 12, then comes home and crashes immediately, he could still get almost 6 hours of rest per night and have Sunday off on a week where he puts in 100 hours.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Someone tell me if my math is faulty there.)
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

Congrats on the new job, KPC and Ketchup family!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
[Smile] Even better. [Smile]

I wouldn't get too excited, I doubt she's going to Sri Lanka . . . [Evil]
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! That sounds wonderful, except during tax season. Way to go!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Way to pop my balloon, Uprooted. [Frown]

[Wink]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic, KPC!

[Big Grin]

Congratulations!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
w00t! That sounds like a great job, congrats!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister in law is a CPA who puts in 100 hours a week during tax season. She hates to get up early, though, so she does work on Sunday. They come home after church, she eats lunch with the family, then goes to the office until around 10.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Smile] See, considering that church for us is from 11-2 and then Jeff has an after-church calling that usually takes an hour or so (while I'm in choir), that wouldn't work very well for us even if Jeff was willing to work Sundays, which he's not except under pretty extreme circumstances (since it's not like he's a doctor or anything. He did occasionally use to when he was a vet tech; on holidays they each took turns having kennel duty and taking care of the animals. But since it was only once or twice a year and the animals needed to be fed and walked, and he could work it around church, he was okay with that.) (Of course next year we will probably switch to 9-12, although no guarantees, but still wouldn't work well.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.