FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any DOTA Allstars players?

Author Topic: Any DOTA Allstars players?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The Starcraft thread gave me the idea that there's some custom mods players around. Anyone play DOTA Allstars? It's a custom game that uses Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, and it's legitimately more fun and probably more popular than the game proper.

It might be fun to do some private games or sommat, yeah?

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play it, but I need to reinstall Warcraft on my computer. But yeah, I play a beast Panda [Big Grin] .
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll like what they've done with drunken haze!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember he was really strong late game, like after I got level 15 or so it was impossible to kill the Panda, you had to like quadruple team him, and even then with his ultimate he could escape.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I play from time to time. But I don't really have time to keep up with it any more and someone recently got a hold of my cd key. So yeah...

I used to love casters. I think Necro was my favorite, but I could play almost any of them.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
DOTA is highly overrated, in my opinion. Tides of Blood had a much higher focus on teamwork and coordinated strategy, and less on really dumb things like denial.

I am also skeptical of game balance on any game with *that* many heroes.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I play from time to time. I almost always -random, though I tend to dislike most of the casters due to the dropoff of spell effectiveness due to high late game HP. I'm mathmavin on (I think) Lordaeron. Or whichever one is US West.

In terms of killing Panda, I've found that manta style is an effective counter, especially with Siren (or perhaps the Phantom Lancer), if you're willing to sacrifice having a different orb effect. The brewmaster has a fairly low mana pool and the ultimate has a fairly high mana cost. The fun thing is that images also do mana burn damage, which can deplete Panda's mana pool such that he cannot activate his ultimate in just a few attacks (or fewer if he's already cast some spells).

This tactic is also amusing to use vs. Skeleton King, who gets very confused as to why he didn't resurrect.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
I played all the time in Mongolia. It's a legitimate craze there and all the gaming cafes carry it. I haven't seen or heard anybody here who has, and I'd be down to play if the software is available for download somewhere.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I never really got into any of the big mods for War3, though I still play the game itself from time to time.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
This tactic is also amusing to use vs. Skeleton King, who gets very confused as to why he didn't resurrect. [/QB]
SK is such a mixed bag. His passives allow for legit ownage, but he does indeed have that terrible intelligence score and super-low super-important mana pool.

There's times when throwing his hammer is willful suicide.

And I'm glad someone else likes it so much that images have mana burn. Manta on Naga or the Phantom Lancer is very very nice.

quote:
I'd be down to play if the software is available for download somewhere.
www.getdota.com
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
DotA isn't really a mod, at least not in my understanding of the word. It's essentially a map with customized settings.

Though, you quite possibly already knew that, and just use the word "mod" differently than I do.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.