FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Golden Compass: Official Trailer (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Golden Compass: Official Trailer
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, Iorek is still voiced by McKellen.

Which is a stupid bit of 11th hour stunt-casting by New Line. [Mad]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jhai, I'll take a look.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny... I was talking with Havah earlier tonight about the "choose your daemon" thing. I thought fox might be a good choice. Sure enough, I came up with Eamon the Daemon. He's a fox. Though I think I probably should have gotten a female daemon, if I read the books correctly.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Eamon the Daemon? Heh.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Daemons have the opposite gender from their human, so unless there's something you're not telling us, yours should be male. [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa has already told. It's a fascinating tale. She's...pretty unique.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
Daemons have the opposite gender from their human, so unless there's something you're not telling us, yours should be male. [Wink]

As I recall, there is a peripheral character in the first book with a same-gender daemon. Pullman has said that having a same-gender daemon was not meant to indicate said character was attracted to the same gender, though that's the conclusion many readers drew.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:

I thought it was clear that people who are gay have daemons of the same sex.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:

As I recall, there is a peripheral character in the first book with a same-gender daemon. Pullman has said that having a same-gender daemon was not meant to indicate said character was attracted to the same gender, though that's the conclusion many readers drew.
That was the conclusion I drew.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I forgot that. My bad.

(ETA: The book thing, that is. [Smile] )

[ November 27, 2007, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Carrie ]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The narration about that character implied that he was notably gentle and kind, and that he suffered some social stigma from having a daemon of the same gender.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought all the Daemons were busy enabling UNIX to run.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Asprasa the tiger; although I wouldn't personally describe myself as "modest, solitary, shy, a leader, and assertive." But there it is and who am I to argue.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
The narration about that character implied that he was notably gentle and kind, and that he suffered some social stigma from having a daemon of the same gender.

I do not think he had a social stigma. He was a solitary man though.

But... if that indicated gayness, I don't think he had much opportunities to do something about that.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.