FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Eudora, Outlook, Thunderbird

Author Topic: Eudora, Outlook, Thunderbird
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Which do you prefer?

I use Outlook 2003 on my laptop. It gets the job done and isn't a bad software package, but it can freeze up sometimes and has a few minor annoyances that I could do without. I'm told it's full of holes, but that hasn't been a problem for me.

I absolutely cannot take that computer to work, but I have to set up an email client on my workstation there, so now is as good a time as any to consider switching one of the other two on both computers.

I need some time of scheduling software. As far as I'm aware the other two programs don't have a feature like Outlook's calendar, which I use regularly. I'm fairly certain method exists to synchronize calenders, should I choose to use Outlook. If I switched I'd probably run over to Google Calendar anyway.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Of the three, Outlook is the clear winner.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any others out there?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the IMAP support in Outlook 2k3 and up better than the support in Outlook XP?

Cause, frankly its not all that good in Outlook XP.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Outlook is the worst. Because it is so tightly integrated into the operating system, it is usually the gateway to all the computer viruses and spyware that enter your computer, as is Internet Explorer.

I much prefer the Mozilla products. Thunderbird is a straight forward email program that resists the common entryway for most viruses and spyware. It is reliable, automatically updates, and has decent Spam blocker and filters; easy to organize and easy to back up.

Use Outlook and you are just begging for trouble.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know, I've used Outlook for six years, now, and have never had a virus on my machine. A lot of those concerns are ridiculously exaggerated.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
You know, I've used Outlook for six years, now, and have never had a virus on my machine. A lot of those concerns are ridiculously exaggerated.
Ditto. (Well, it's less than 6 years for me, but otherwise.) Assuming you're running a firewall and a virus-checker (and if you're not, you're nuts -- there are plenty of good free ones available), expecting problems is paranoid.

And Outlook is awesome! (And I'd say that even if my dad hadn't written a book about it. [Wink] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.