FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Comical Wikipedia Finds

Author Topic: Comical Wikipedia Finds
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
So there i was watching the latest AskANinja episode where someone asks what Scene Kids are, and i wonder what they really are. oh, and btw, i was pretty bored to be watching AskANinja. i think it's not nearly as funny anymore. ANYWAY, so i head over to Wikipedia.org and search 'scene kids.' no results. but here are someof the matches it found for me:

* Don't Sweat the Technics
Relevance: 1.4% - -

* The Comeback Kid

* List of Barbie's friends and family
Relevance: 1.3% - -

* PS I Love You
Relevance: 1.3% - -

* Resilience (album)
Relevance: 1.2% - -

* Masters of the Universe (song)
Relevance: 1.2% - -

* Teenage Trash
Relevance: 1.0% - -

* Towncraft (film)

* The Kid (2000 film)

* Disco Bloodbath

pretty funny list no? scene kids leads to things like List of Barbie's friends, Master of the Universe, and Disco Bloodbath. its this type of thing that makes me wish there was a search engine that never finds stuff on what u want, but random topics that have to have between .5% - 2% Relevance.

Anyone else find humor in this, or have their own funny search results for wikipedia?

EDIT: i still dont know what the term Scene Kids refers to.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vyrus
Member # 10525

- posted      Profile for Vyrus   Email Vyrus         Edit/Delete Post 
If you were wondering, Scene Kids is a term for a new type, or rather genre of teenagers. It falls somewhere roughly along the lines of "emo" or "punk," but has several very distinguishing characteristics. First of all scene kids are very openly proud of and obsessed with their appearance. They have very un-traditional hair, often involving svere straightening, radical colors, being spiky on top with sever straight lengths down the sides, and horizontal stripes.

They change their hair often so they keep their natural hair short and are aided greatly by the use of extensions.

They are open about such things as cursing, and joking about sexual inuendos. They generally wear the same type of clothes as "emos," such as footwear including Vans and Converses, skinny jeans, and any number of tee shirts or modern fashion.

There is also a strong strata among them to be dangerously skinny, and to have flawless makeup if you are a girl,a nd sometimes eyeliner if you are a guy.

MANY facial piercings are encouraged. (nose, septum, bridge, snake bites, lips, etc.)

Music is a big part of the culture, with certain independent rock stars being part of it.

Myspace is a big life of a scene child as pictures further prove their vanity and "whore trains" in which pictures of the most "elite, beautiful people" are showcased.

Many places in the UK, California and Texas have a growing scene underground.

Many of the top "scene kids" are quite young, most falling in between the thirteen to twenty-one range. One of the top scene "idols" is Kiki Kannibal. (myspace.com/kikikannibal.)

I hope that helped I can't tell you everything but if you need more help looking at Myspace directly at the culture is one of your best bets.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Urban Dictionary helps where Wikipedia fails, and so I've learned something new today!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like something out of a William Gibson novel.

I'm glad I was a teen in the 80s. Things were simpler then.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow.

Poor misguided kids...

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
This kind of thing makes me glad I had a relatively normal childhood.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Simpler in the 80s?

Afros.

Bell-bottoms.

Hair Metal, Glam Metal, etc.

Reaganomics.

Star Wars sattelite ideas.

Space Shuttle Discovery (right? Or was that one Challenger?)

Simpler? Naw.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madb
Member # 10532

- posted      Profile for Madb   Email Madb         Edit/Delete Post 
Then there the clinically insane.

Lurking, learning, reading & writing. Earning the precious credibility & money which means so much to this society.

We show no external signs of distress but are deeply disturbed.

We start with small animal such as insects, birds & small pets.

Eventually that gets boring.

Lock your doors at night.

- MaSTERdb

[ June 06, 2007, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Madb ]

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard the term 'scene kids'; it sounds like your describing what I know of as 'hipsters', 'scenesters' or 'indie kids'.

Urban dictionary used the following sentences to epitomize "scenester." It amused me greatly and I shall share:

quote:
" Jennifer is a true disgusting little scenester now that she dyed her hair burgundy when she saw me doing it. I did it, because some girl on the Joan of Arc album had it that way, but that's because she copied the girl from Rainer Maria, and I told her after one of their shows that she should color it, so she did,and I thought'what the ****? That was my idea.' So I'm boycotting them."

" If you don't like Spoon, you should die."

" If I had shaggy hair and wore eyeliner like your last boyfriend, you would love me more."

" The way these people look is the way I feel inside. They understand. I want to be part of their scene."

"That oddly placed blonde patch on the side of your head is just pure sex!"
"Sonny Moore is just so rad"
"Rawr! I'm a rad wannabe DiNoSaUr scenester with an eye patch and robotic limbs!"
"omfgXiXamXjustXsoXh ardXcore"

[ June 06, 2007, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Simpler in the 80s?
Bell-bottoms.

Bell-bottoms in the 80s? You're obviously remembering a different decade than I am.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Space Shuttle Discovery (right? Or was that one Challenger?)
Challenger, I believe. Both shuttles involved in tragedies begin with C. (Colombia is the other). Discovery, Atlantis and Endeavour, the latter built as a replacement for Challenger, still fly. Enterprise never flew except in tests, if it flew at all.

And as for life being simpler for teens in other eras, I think ever since we started having a teenage culture the rules and styles have been similarly complicated for those that chose to live within them.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
0Megabyte: Substitute bell bottoms with disco and Ill agree with you.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It was the Challenger that exploded in '86. [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
I think ever since we started having a teenage culture the rules and styles have been similarly complicated for those that chose to live within them.

Yep. Exactly what I was thinking about posting.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

so the Teenage Trash link might have been appropriate then eh? i wonder how come its relevance is so low. hehehe
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
vonk, the term scenesters and scene kids are interchangeable, mostly.

Richmond, Virginia is one of the scene-est places in the world, with very specific looks and cultures. Somewhere between Bike Courier, Outsiders, Heroin Glam and First Mate.

Cuffed pants, sleeve tats, coiffed herr, timbuk2 bag, vegan groceries. I loved that kids that bought expensive clothing that made them look poor. They were the best.

Parts of the scene were pretty terrible, everyone slept with eachother and last I heard the nonxXx'rs went from meth and booze to cocaine and heroin.

In other news, I would like to see more surprising Wiki Results.
I think Friends of Barbie fit quite nicely.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Boys wearing girls jeans and eyeliner, studded belts, fitted designer tshirts featuring 80s household product labels, the reverse mullet. It's all a product of post-punk. When DIY became too much of a pain in the arse and Hot Topic sells the same thing anyways.

Heh heh, it makes me giggle.

Maybe someone can help with an conflict I'm involved in: is post-punk defined by the period produced (mid 70s to mid 80s) and particular band thusly labeled by the media, or is it any music that uses strong punk influence to create a new(ish) sound (which would include all of emo, alternative, grunge, etc)?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

OK, heres a fun idea for a game. lets take the hits that wikipedia gave me and turn them into 'Scene Kids' related topics.

Here's an example:

* Don't Sweat the Technics
Relevance: 1.4% -

This is a guide for the beginner Scene Kid to help perfect is style and to inform him/her what to believe in and take stands for / against. Available with large, simple pictures and small words so that any potential kid or young adult will find it helpful. On the inside of the back cover there is a mirror, so that it will still look like you are reading, but in actuality can covertly check your face/hair and still appear to be learned. Appropriate for ages 8+. USA $14.00, Canada $17.00.

Vyrus
Member # 10525

- posted      Profile for Vyrus   Email Vyrus         Edit/Delete Post 
* The Comeback Kid

The Autobiography of Kiki Kannibal, famed "Queen of the Scene". From her devastating period of being grounded from eyeliner and hair dye, to her resurgence to fame after she purchased her OMG TOTALLY AWWSUME CMRA PHONE!!~!11shift+1. Comes complete with several thousand Myspace pictures, a case of Loreal hair dye and size 00 unisex jeans. $24.99 U.S., $29.99 Canada, $337.99 Mexico.

(As Kiki Kannibal says "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap.")

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.