FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 2007 Quill awards nominees

Author Topic: 2007 Quill awards nominees
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
link

SF/fantasy/horror category nominees =

-- Farthing, Jo Walton
-- The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One), Patrick Rothfuss
-- Getting to Know You, David Marusek
-- Brasyl, Ian McDonald
-- The Execution Channel, Ken MacLeod

Anyone read any of 'em? I've heard of the Rothfuss book (Randy Holland gave a shout out to it at the Something Positive website), but none of the others.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
i ordered the name of the wind, but amazon cancelled it. it's supposed to be really good though.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam_S
Member # 9695

- posted      Profile for Adam_S   Email Adam_S         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got Ian McDonald's prior work out from the library, River of Gods. Name of the Wind has been getting raves. Curious why the Road isn't nominated here, I guess it was too 'good' to be segregated into the scifi/fantasy/horror subsection and the lack of Lies of Locke Lamora in this category is flat out shameful.

That Special Topics in Calamity Physics is up for best general fiction is nauseating.

though this book sounded interesting, another one not in the scifi/fantasy section:

Jamestown
Written by Matthew Sharpe
Published by Soft Skull Press
#
Description: Jamestown chronicles a group of "settlers" (more like survivors) from the ravaged island of Manhattan, departing just as the Chrysler Building has mysteriously plummeted to the earth. This ragged band is heading down what's left of I-95 in a half-school bus, half-Millennium Falcon. Their goal is to establish an outpost in southern Virginia, find oil, and exploit the Indians controlling the area. Based on actual accounts of the Jamestown settlement from 1607 to 1617, Jamestown features historical characters including John Smith, Pocahontas, and others enacting an imaginative re-version of life in the pioneer colony. In this retelling, Pocahontas's father Powhatan is half-Falstaff, half-Henry V, while his consigliere is a psychiatrist named Sidney Feingold. John Martin gradually loses body parts in a series of violent encounters, and John Smith is a ruthless and pragmatic redhead continually undermining the aristocratic leadership. Communication is by text-messaging, IMing, and, ultimately, telepathy. Punctuated by jokes, rhymes, rim shot dialogue, and bloody black-comic tableaux, Jamestown is a trenchant commentary on America's past and present that confirms Matthew Sharpe's status as a major talent in contemporary fiction.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, that description sounds more like a pretentious, garbled mess. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm missing Lies of Locke Lamora on there, too.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to start a new thread, but this one seems to fit. I started The Name of the Wind yesterday because of OSC's killer review of it a couple weeks ago.

I'm only about 60 pages in (and it's over 600 long).

Holy crap. What's sad is that it's so hard for me to describe how original and amazing this book is (so far) without resorting to very unoriginal and tired-sounding cliches. But crap! I'm in, I'm convinced, I'm excited, and I'm so glad it's the first of a trilogy. I wouldn't mind another 1200-1500 pages after I'm through with these 660. And this is his debut!!!

anyway, sorry to crash your thread. I haven't read anything else on that list, but I had to find an outlet for my current state of "Holy Crap." [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.