FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Honor student sentenced to 10 years in prison (Page 8)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Honor student sentenced to 10 years in prison
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Um... isn't this a recommendation then to fix the prison system rather then not use prisons?
It's pointing out just what he's so blithely handing out, BlackBlade. For a nonviolent consentual sex act.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the opinions.

The meat of the decision starts on page 15. The principle issue was whether the punishment was disproportional to the offense. The primary deciding factor was the legislature's change in the law to make this offense a misdemeanor, which, according to the Court, indicated a change in the evolving standards of decency. The court called the legislature's acts the best evidence of such changes.

I'm skeptical of this reasoning, because the legislature explicitly chose to not make the reduction in sentence retroactive. In other words, the best evidence of the changing standards of decency explicitly decided that this person's punishment should be 10 years.

I think the outcome is the just one - 10 years was way too long a sentence. But the reasoning seems counter-intuitive to me.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.