FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me shop for three great men!

Author Topic: Help me shop for three great men!
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Folks, I'm clueless and I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Man #1: My dad. He has his private pilot's license, just turned 60, doesn't really read much or watch movies, and I want to get him something zippy and thoughtful. He has all of the tools and zippy garage-y type things that he's wanted, and the others are out of my budget. My brain has completely turned off. What are you getting for your dad this father's day?

Man #2: My co-worker. He teaches band at the middle school and has been there for years. This is my first year at the middle school (teaching choir) and he has gone above and beyond the call to help me out. I've had some health problems to deal with this year, and it's been hard. He has substituted for my class several times, he's saved my butt when I've needed it, he's taken care of administrative things for me just to be nice, and I know he'll do that for me whenever I need it.

This gift should be less expensive, but i wanted to do more than a gift card or something. He's a jazz head and a computer and sound mixing whiz and the nicest guy ever. He has a wife and kids of all ages (college, jr. high, etc.)

Man #3: My other co-worker. This one is the band director at the high school, where I work most of the time. I've been with him for the two years I've worked at my job and he's leaving to take another job next year. This is the last week I'll work with him, and I'm rather heart-broken. He has also stepped in to help me many zillions of times and was my official 'new teacher mentor' last year.

He's a jazz head and plays a zillion instruments. He leads a quiet life with his wife (she makes him garden on the weekends) and his two sons are grown.

What do you think? Any ideas?

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I think a simple thank you note usually has the most sentimental value. It's short, sweet, and simple. And, yet, it somehow still shows the excess of gratitude. However, that's not really a gift.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't what to know how I first interpreted the title of this thread. [Wink]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
#2/3, jazz
#1, when you find out, post it -- I don't know what my dad's getting either

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

What kind of jazz? Is there any newer and hipper jazz that older jazz fans may not know about? I know Pink Martini has a new album out. Is that considered jazz?

I am going to write thank you notes, but I'd like to give them something else thoughtful and cool. [Smile]

Puffy Treat, it took me a minute to figure out what you meant. [Big Grin] I'm shopping for men in that respect as well, but I only need one when all is said and done.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Puffy, you aren't alone. Narnia, how 'bout you send one of *those* three my way? LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know jazz so much, but even if I did it might not be their kind of jazz. You'd have to inquire of someone I am sure.

I might get my dad 40's and 50's music, which he likes.

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
My father once told me "If you get me a novelty tie for this or any other holiday, you are merely giving yourself enough rope to hang yourself with."
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
My father always used to say, when asked what he wanted for Christmas, "oh, why don't you just get me a tie or a white shirt?" I, of course, thought that was a throwaway line, as did my brother. I eventually learned from my mother that he was disappointed not to get a tie or white shirt for Christmas!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Uprooted, that's funny. One of my brothers is that way too. He always says "Why doesn't anyone ever get me ties?" [Smile]

Goody, when I have an overabundance (i.e. 'more than zero') I'll be sure to send you his brother or cousin...but only if he's awesome and fantastic and would treat you like the queen that you are.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
My father is getting this calendar:

Men Count in the Lives of Children

[Smile]

Send one of those other three my way, would you Cecily? *grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw the thread title I was totally like "Where do you buy those?"
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband sometimes recieves gift certificates to a local restaurant from his students. I think this is something most high school teachers would appreciate since teacher salaries don't generally allow one to go out to dinner with ones wife at a nice restaurant very often. Since both your colleagues are Jazz heads, is there a Jazz/dinner club you could get tickets or a gift certificate for?

I'd recommend against getting recorded music for a band teacher for two reasons. 1. Professional musicians are generally very picky about the music they enjoy and 2. They rarely listen to music recreationally.

Dad's are harder. I'm considering writing my father a long sentimental letter thanking him for all the things he's done for me. Other than that, I know he likes nuts and sweets (although he probably shouldn't eat quite as many of either one.) If your father drinks alcohol, you could consider getting him a nice bottle of wine or scotch. (If your family is LDS, please ignore that suggestion.)

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad still commutes every day, so I'm getting him something from The Teaching Company to listen to on his commute.

He's getting the CDs for Science and Religion, which I think he'll like. He has a degree in geophysics and really to explain how he doesn't see any conflict between his faith and his knowledge of the world.

You can usually find something good on the Sale page, and they arrive within a couple of days.

Note: One caveat - you can now listen to samples of it before you buy. This is a good idea, because some of the professors, while wonderful scholars I'm sure, do not have a voice for radio. I got one on the history of ...buddhism, I think, or maybe Islam, and couldn't even make it through two CDs because the professor's voice was so grating.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
If you go to KTSUfm.org and donate $150 they'll give you a 5 disk jazz set that is pretty phenomenal, with compilations from all the greats. But that's kinda pricey.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
What an awesome dangling modifier.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.