FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » xbox live

Author Topic: xbox live
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
my gamertag is ronaldinho10ajc
any friend of this site is a friend of mine. post your tag

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

please?
im gonna fall asleep soon

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
uh, dude, how many people do you thing are reading this at 1 am on a Saturday?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
i have a 360, but not xbox live. i do want to get it tho, but im looking for ppl to play with and a game i think i can get good enough at to play online.

what games to do play?

i havent even turned my 360 on in months, but im open to persuasion.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

i play fifa, halo, and lost planet. playing online is how i got good, but if you dont play much live is a waste of money
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
My gamertag: Seandor

I'm not on much lately, and I usually play sports games as far as xbox live is concerned. Anyone down for some NHL 2K7? MLB 2K7? Rockstar table tennis? Tetris Evolution? I have some shooters, and would play some coop campaigns if anyone is interested. Gears of War or Rainbow Six: Vegas. I had Lost Planet, but other than the graphics I thought it sucked, so I traded it in for credit at EB.

I've been playing Guitar Hero 2 when I turn on my XBox these days. I don't think it has any online multiplayer yet.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get my Xbox Live to work. The way my internet is setup is kinda screwy. How much does the stupid Xbox wireless usb adaptor cost?

I might be forced to buy it if I cannot find another way [Frown]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

The adapter costs 100 dollars. you might wanna call 18004myxbox(xbox support #)
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Tuna, my gamertag is Jumbowumbo, and I'm on halo 2 all the time (though recently I've been playing the halo 3 beta).
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

Cool!
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 360 and Live Gold, but don't play most of the games you guys are talking about. Online I still play a bit of Gears of War and Catan, and very occasionally some Chromehounds. I also co-op Doom with friends. My tag is Chemander Keen.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently got an xbox360, but I'm not much good at the shooters yet. I'm more used to playing FPS on PC, so while I am good at single player, I get killed on live. Using a controler to aim is a lot different than a mouse.

One thing that annoyed me is the fact that live claimed to match you up with people of your ability level...yet I listed myself in the "recreational" zone and have a rep of like 80 and they matched me with people in pro and underground with reps of 2,000-4,000 in the Gears of War games I played. Rainbow 6 vegas wasn't quite as bad...while I wasn't near the best I wasn't the worse in the games I played either.

It is sort of depressing since back in the days of quake I played a lot of Team Fortress and was one of the best players in most games I played.

I think I will also be getting topspin 2 since I really liked the first one.

My tag is AthalusUF

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LargeTuna:
The adapter costs 100 dollars. you might wanna call 18004myxbox(xbox support #)

$100?! Please tell me you are kidding! Also I was told that if you purchase an Xbox 360 you can get an Xbox live account free, is there any truth to this?

What recourse do I have then? My cable/internet comes down a window via the roof, which has to plug into some sort of router. The router then has AV/Audio out slots for the TV, but no cat9 slot for high speed internet. It does have a cable slot, I assume for a cable modem which then goes to your computer, but I can't just go out and buy just any cable modem for the Xbox to work can I?

Currently in my computer I have a USB wireless adapter plugged in, which for some reason cannot find the internet my landlord supplies and since he has been no help I currently just leech off somebody's unsecure ISP in the neighborhood.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

You can get A MONTH FREE of xbox live. it costs 60 dollars a year. Mabe live isnt for everyone. i split it with my brother, but he's going to college soon. soon i'll have to pay for it all. [Wall Bash] p.s. Blade, mabe you could get a nice wired router for less money?
twinky
Member # 693

You get Live Silver free. If you want to play online multiplayer then you have to get Live Gold, which in Canada is CDN$60 annually. I think Silver basically gives you access to the Marketplace.

The list price of the 360 USB wireless adapter is indeed US$99.99.

What's a "cable slot?" And do you mean Cat5?

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Well I am certainly not shelling out $150 so I can start playing online with my xbox. If anybody gets my $50 a year it will be Nintendo when Smash Bros: Brawl comes out.

Twinky: Do you have cable TV? Those long black cables where the head of the plug is circular in shape with a protruding metal point in the center.

I've always heard of high speed internet cable referred to as Cat9, I could be wrong I am by no means a professional in the area.

Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

I've always heard of high speed internet cable referred to as Cat9, I could be wrong I am by no means a professional in the area.

Ethernet cable is Cat5. If it's new, maybe Cat5e.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Wouldn't you be shelling out $150 a year to play online using someone else's internet? [Razz] I'm not opposed to leeching on an open wireless network at times, but as an example I frequently download 1GB+ game demos via Xbox Live, and I don't think I'd want to do that on someone else's connection.

In any event, you ought to be able to get both your 360 and Wii online using your own connection for way less than that. My wireless router was about CDN$60 well over a year ago.

I have cable TV and cable internet. Coaxial cable (with the screw-on plug you describe, an RF connector) comes in through the wall and goes into the cable modem that my cable company supplied me with. Then I run ethernet cable (Cat5) to my router, and another coaxial cable to my cable box. My router has a wireless antenna, but I don't use it; the 360 and my desktop are plugged directly into the router with ethernet cable.

So I guess what I don't understand is whether this box that your cable goes into is a cable box (which likely has no ethernet port) or a cable modem (which should definitely have an ethernet port). It sounds like a cable box, from your description of the ports. I don't even know if you can just buy cable modems in stores, I got mine from my cable provider and I'll return it along with my cable box if I ever discontinue service.

Is your landlord supposed to be providing you with internet access? If so, the setup seems weird to me.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Cable/Internet are included in my rent. My wireless router does not work with my Xbox as the plug is shapped funny on the back of the Xbox, I am sure precicely so you are obligated to buy their official wireless router.

See I think its digital cable though which is why the cable that comes down from the roof is cat5 wire, but it has to be plugged into the box for the internet or cable to work. But it has a coaxial cable out slot on the box. It definately does not have an ethernet cable port.

Yeah when I had comcast they simply provided a cable modem which solved all these problems, but I have never encountered this setup before.

The internet my landlord supposedly provides is wireless, the cable modem I believe is located upstairs. So even if I could use that I'd need an exceptionally long cord. Ill have to go upstairs and talk to him and see how things are setup. I could figure it out if I could just see it I suppose.

My wife just yesterday asked if she could get a gym membership and I felt that supporting her in getting in shape was important, and thats $15 a month. Thats about 4 times as expensive as Xbox Live Gold. So I dunno if I can afford it even if I work it all out. I'm sure some other day Ill just wake up and grunt, "MUST GAME ONLINE!!! RARG!!!"

twinky
Member # 693

I have digital cable with some high-definition channels in addition to the standard def lineup. It still comes in as regular coax.

You have a wireless router? Or do you mean your wireless USB adapter? The 360's USB ports are on the front, I have no idea if any wireless USB adapters other than the one Microsoft makes would work with it, though.

I agree that gym membership > online gaming subscription, though. [Smile]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I believe there is likely a wireless router in the upstairs apartment. Again when I had comcast it was the usual coaxial cables. There is a place in the box where coaxial cables could plug in but I am pretty sure that's assuming you want to plug axial cables into your TV for cable instead of Video/Audio cables. I'm assuming that axial port is also possibly internet related but without a router and possibly something to split the cable from the internet I am not sure if I'll get it to work.
twinky
Member # 693

So the mystery box has ethernet cable going in and then coax (and a regular red/white/yellow AV connection) going out? That's really weird. I have no idea how I'd go about trying to make that work with either a computer or a console. [Frown]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
T383 Blayne (or Bradley I forget which). Halo ftw baby. [Cool]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lupus:

One thing that annoyed me is the fact that live claimed to match you up with people of your ability level...yet I listed myself in the "recreational" zone

The zone that you choose to be a part of doesn't exactly match you with other players of your skill level. What it does do is match you with other players who, in this case, are more layed back. There's also an "underground zone" (I think) where there's more trash talking, and then there's a competitive zone that I can't remember the name of at this moment. What xbox live does is match you up with players of similar attitudes, while it's the game publisher's job to match you with gamers of a similar skill level (and of course, every player is skilled differently from one game to another).
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
So the mystery box has ethernet cable going in and then coax (and a regular red/white/yellow AV connection) going out? That's really weird. I have no idea how I'd go about trying to make that work with either a computer or a console. [Frown]

Ill take pictures and post them, I know it sounds confusing.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Gamertag: mattztt

I enjoy shooters but I haven't played much online in a while. My brother recently got a 360 and GoW so I guess I'll be spending more time there in the near future.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.