FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I just applied to Bioware - Positive thoughts and prayers needed!

Author Topic: I just applied to Bioware - Positive thoughts and prayers needed!
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

I know I'm kind of a lurker, but I still feel like part of the community here and would appreciate any positive vibes/prayers you could send my way. I'm just finishing my BFA degree, and applied today for a Real-Time Visual Effects Artist position with Bioware Edmonton. I think I have a good chance of landing the job, but would still like any good vibrations you can spare.

Also, if you're interested, you can look at my portfolio that I submitted for the job.

allenbevans.com

Thanks!

Wonder Dog

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't there been articles lately about not posting information that could identify you to potential employers as an online personality?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Oh, but good luck.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Fred Thompson tells me Jesus hates video games.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that looked pretty good. Make sure you update this once you've found out if you get the job.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, just that if they can figure out your online personality, they might not like what it has said at some point in time, if they, say, search all your posts ever.

Or, you know, your nekkid pictures on MySpace and your obscene drunk videos on You Tube. [Wink]

Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

(to ketchupqueen) Do I apply as an online personality? And if I do, I don't think I need to worry - I've always tried behaved online like I do in RL - polite, respectful, sometimes a bit wierd. [Big Grin] Or am I missing your point? (Oh, and I always post my drunken/nekkid/terrorist youtube vids under another name - throws 'em off the trail, you know [Wink] .)

(to Zeugma) My walk cycle and lifting are pretty shoddy, huh? I really hope one day I'll have the time and money to focus on really learning character animation.

(to All) Thanks for the quick positive feedback! I'll definetly keep you posted as (and if) the situation progresses.

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
What position, exactly, is it you're applying for?
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, good luck. Did you go to school learn your stuff? Where at?
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

I'm applying for a Real-Time Visual Effects Artist position - my understanding is that it consists mostly of designing effects for in-engine playback, as opposed to pre-rendered (like a cut scene).

Earendil18 - I've taught myself a lot of the practical stuff, but it's all based on the thoery I've learned doing my BFA in New Media at U of Lethbridge.

Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

Zeugma - I really wish I could go to Siggraph, but the funds are a bit tight. I've thought about going as a volunteer (free entry, some arranged accomidations), but I can't even afford the plane ticket. [Frown] Are you going?
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Primal, don't you mean Jack Thompson?

Wonder Dog, good luck! I wish I could work there myself, but I don't think I could change countries at the moment ... [Smile]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd wish you luck, but I'm too busy being envious. Bioware! Man!

(Ah, heck- good luck anyway. [Smile] )

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
You do realize, if we give you support, you must give us inside information on the games that are being made, right? [Wink]

Seriously though, good luck! I've always liked their games, and am totally psyched for Mass Effect.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. Kotor is getting old after the nth time through. Kotor 2 was only good for 3-4 plays.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a hard time playing KOTOR or Jade Empire (KOTOR2 was by Obsidian, wasn't it? I don't count that one in this discussion) more than twice: one very good, one very evil.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Me too. Kotor is getting old after the nth time through. Kotor 2 was only good for 3-4 plays.

Maybe that means it's time to go back for another couple plays through the Baldur's Gate games. Especially if you throw in some new mods this time around.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Nighthawk, it was, but it was still based on BioWare's original kotor engine.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Nighthawk, it was, but it was still based on BioWare's original kotor engine.

Yeah, but the first one was nicely done, and the second one, at least from a development standpoint... well... I can't think of a better way of putting it: sucked.

I'm not blaming the storyline. You can clearly see how Obsidian basically dropped the ball and pushed the thing out the door well before it was done. At least Bioware doesn't leave any loose ends to speak of.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.