FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » We Jumped Out of a Plane!

Author Topic: We Jumped Out of a Plane!
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
For my birthday, my wonderful significant other is taking me skydiving. It is something I have wanted to do since I was twelve (according to my mother). It's also on the list of things I want to do before I die.

Has anyone here ever done it? Tell me about your experiences and what sort of dive was it (tandem or Accelerated Free Fall), and would you do it again given the chance? For those of you who haven't done it, why not? ( [Angst] ?) Are you still debating or is it something you'd never consider.

[ July 15, 2007, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I made about a dozen jumps back when I first graduated high school. Back then you could either do tandem or many jumps to work up to solo jumps. I thought I would make a sport of it. I had a blast but ran out of money. If you are going to jump once, I would do the accelerated free fall. You are the most free there.

You are in for an experience.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
It is on my list, as well, but I haven't done it yet.

My friends who have tried it have usually done the tandem first. Someone else, with experience, is in control that way. Then after that, they felt more willing to try it on their own.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

I really debated on that. I want to do the AFF but it is twice as much and the class is twice as long. Xavier (the wonderful significant other) will also be jumping, so the cost may just be too much.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm envious! I love high up places, and I've always wanted to sky dive. The only thing that really keeps me from pursuing that is I figure that I'm fairly likely to break a limb doing it. And I have too many people depending on me intact to risk breaking a limb.

This also keeps me off motorcycles. I have been gliding, though (in a little airplane without a motor), and parasailing (strapped onto a giant kite). And to all those high-up-in-the-air rides at the amusement park. Especially the ones where they drop you quickly.

Maybe someday, I'll get to skydive. Report back on how that goes.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Farmgirl, would you like to jump with us? I feel a Con coming on....
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't done it because the thrill of moving quickly, for me, is soon replaced by the inconvenience of breathing shallowly -- which means that the cost/benefit analysis breaks down as follows: on one hand, I could die; on the other hand, I could truthfully tell people I did something specific that could have killed me.

If I ever need to benefit from the latter, there's nothing stopping me from telling people that I have in fact been skydiving.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I did it tandem in college, I didn't want to sit through the all day class and pay the extra cost to do it otherwise. I would take it over bungie jumping any day, but I don't know if I would do it again. It was an experience I will never forget, and I am glad I did once.

My one word of advice is that if you have any type of sinus problems, take an over the counter sudafed about 30 minutes before the plane goes up. I didn't, forgetting my SCUBA training, and suffered a squeeze that really hurt.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to, too, but haven't gotten around to it yet. [Smile] Have fun, you guys! (A skydive con isn't in the cash or vacation budget for me this summer, I'm afraid, although it's tempting.)
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yeah - what ElJay said is my situation too - no extra money or vacation time to be able to do it this year.

Stephan - I'm curious about what you said, and hadn't thought about that part of it. I'm a mouth breather because my sinus are much too small to work properly (this has been all my life). So if you have sinus issues, this causes problems with the jump?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I found it loud and cold. And actually kinda dull. I much prefer a roller coaster.

Still, I'm glad I did it (tandem. Didn't want to sit through the long course) and I would consider doing it again, just to see if it was more fun the second time.

It's checked off my list of things I have to do before I die though.

Oh, and eat a (small) breakfast. I hadn't had anything to eat all day. They wanted to wait till the plane was full to take us up and the other group of people were way way way late. So by the time we went up I was pretty light headed and when the shoot opened, all my blood rushed to my feet and I almost passed out.

But don't eat too much because you don't want to spray it everywhere either. (some people get sick, they said)

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
This is also on my list of things to do. I'll probably end up doing it tandemn since I took cannot afford nor have the time to work up to solo.

Let me know how it goes!

I might convince my dad to go do it with me this august.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduffer
Member # 10469

- posted      Profile for baduffer   Email baduffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Great! It is on my list to do but my butt puckers even when I see a scene in a movie depicting a high place, though I have made it a point to go to all the high points in spite of it. Funny though, the fear of heights didn't seem to bother me when I was taking flying lessons.

There is the thought about why you would want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. [Smile]

Go for it and have a blast, I will envy you.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm Going to Jump Out of a Plane
Why? Are there snakes on board? [Angst]
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My cousin got a certificate for skydiving for his 18th birthday, (which was September of 04) but was unable to jump until June of 05, during his high school graduation party because of athletic coaches and his parents being concerned. He had planned to jump alone, but because of the weather that day, he jumped tandem. He completely loved it and it added a nice touch to a grad party (we all met at the airport then drove back to his house). Later that summer he did jump alone, I'm not sure if he has since then.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:

Stephan - I'm curious about what you said, and hadn't thought about that part of it. I'm a mouth breather because my sinus are much too small to work properly (this has been all my life). So if you have sinus issues, this causes problems with the jump?

FG

It can. You know how when a plane climbs you feel the pressure change in your head? You have to clear your ears by yawning, chewing, or holding your nose and lightly pushing air to your ears. Jumping out of a plane you are going through those pressure changes a lot more quickly, without the benefit of a pressurized cabin. It shouldn't be dangerous, but if you don't take precautions it could make the fall a tad uncomfortable. I suffered what in the SCUBA diving world is called a reverse squeeze. I don't know how my problems are similar to your small sinuses, so if it is a concern definitely talk to a doctor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosinusitis

Like I said, I forgot to take Sudafed, or I would have been perfectly comfortable. When SCUBA diving I always take it 30-60 minutes before going under. Just make sure you get the stuff that actually has pseudophedrine in it from behind the pharmacist counter.

edit: don't take medicine to early or it could wear off in the middle of the dive, take it to late and it may not kick-in in time.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember: Gravity doesn't exist... the Earth just sucks.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
valentine, tahts awesome that u are going skydiving. im actually going for my first time July 15th with a big group of friends. you're definitely going to have to tell us what u thought of it. i think for ours we get just over a minute of free fall and then a 7 minute canopy parachute ride down. i really want to get one of those cameramen with the helmet-cam to jump with us so we can make a dvd of it all.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's also on the list of things I want to do before I die.

[Angst]

Seriously, though, I wanted to for a long time, but then I decided it was too dangerous. You better do it before you get old like me and stop dreaming. Also, I went on a free fall ride at a theme park last year and was surprised by how frightening that turned out to be. I'd always been a daredevil in the past, so I don't know what happened.

Someday I may get to a point where I decide it would be okay to dream about again, after my kids are grown maybe. My husband and I also want to tour the nation on motorcycles when we're older.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

from stephan's link:
quote:
Squeeze is produced on descent when trapped air in the sinuses contracts and produces negative pressure. The pressure differentials are directed to the center of the sinuses producing mucosal edema, transudation, and mucosal-or submucosal-hematoma, leading to further occlusion of the sinus ostium. The sinus will fill with fluid or blood unless the pressure differential is neutralized.
If the outlet is blocked during ascent, the situation is reversed and "reverse squeeze" appears. Pressure inside the sinus increases, affecting the walls of the sinus and producing pain or epistaxis.

Geez! Whoever wrote that particular Wikipedia page needs to learn how to translate Medical-ese into some layman's language the average person and parse and understand!

FG

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
"If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not for you." [Big Grin]

Also why not make skydiving the LAST item on your, "Things to do before I die" list? Then it does not matter how dangerous it is.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom did this on her 50th birthday and said it was a great time. I hope you like it as much as she did.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
"If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not for you." [Big Grin]

Also why not make skydiving the LAST item on your, "Things to do before I die" list? Then it does not matter how dangerous it is.

I'll do anything at least once that has less of a chance of injuring me then driving my car to and from work on a daily basis.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, sounds exciting. What's the difference between tandem and accelerated free-fall? Is the latter the same as the former, except you're not attached to someone else?

Regarding the medical jargon...I'll take a crack at it. When an actual medical-type person comes along, she can correct me.

quote:
Squeeze is produced on descent when trapped air in the sinuses contracts and produces negative pressure.
When you go from an area of lower pressure to higher pressure, the air in your sinuses becomes smaller in volume, which causes the pressure in the sinuses to be lower than the outside pressure.

quote:
The pressure differentials are directed to the center of the sinuses producing mucosal edema, transudation, and mucosal-or submucosal-hematoma,
The change in pressure sucks at the membranes in the sinuses. This can cause the tissues to fill with fluid and become swollen (edema). The fluid might even ooze from the tissue into the sinus cavity (transudation). Additionally, blood vessels might burst, causing blood to collect in the membranes of the sinus (hematoma).

quote:
leading to further occlusion of the sinus ostium.
So all that swelling and fluid blocks the connection leading from the sinuses to the nose even more than it already was, thus perpetuating the problem.

quote:
...Pressure inside the sinus increases, affecting the walls of the sinus and producing pain or epistaxis.
Pressure inside the sinus increases, affecting the walls of the sinus and producing pain or nosebleed.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
pooka: I will jump out of a perfectly good airplane, but I will NOT ride a motorcycle. I know too many dead/maimed people to even consider it.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Here explains the difference between tandem and AFF. This is also the place that will instruct me. Both Xavier and I are students so it will only cost $145 each. I also thought it was much more expensive, thinking that deterred me.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan to do this someday.

And this is from someone who used to be terrified of the drops on roller coasters!

(and who has really sensitive ears...all the links to info on the pressure has been freaking me out!)

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, wish us luck. We're going to give this a try!
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! Have fun! Let us know how it goes!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the airport to watch a friend's brother and his friends do it once. It was very exciting. I've wanted to try it ever since.

Full disclosure: my first cousin once removed was a skydiving enthusiast and died when he was 21 on a skydiving trip. The plane crashed. [Frown]

Be careful and choose your venue wisely. Have fun!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
So*, how was it?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
It was great! However, Niki had a hard time breathing during free-fall, and was struggling to keep her goggles on. She also had a tandem instructor who would not stop hitting on her in that sleezy "I am just joking around, so can say offensive things all I want" sort of way.

Anyway, here are some pics!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/valentine014/sets/72157600828752070/detail/

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad it was fun, but I am sorry about the sleazeball. [Smile]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
The first (and probably only) time someone at my workplace went skydiving, she broke both of her ankles because of a bad landing. That was I think, a year ago, and she still doesn't walk normally (though she's gotten rid of her crutches).
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeesh, that instructor is a sleaze! I can't believe he kissed her on the cheek!

Your pictures look awesome, though. [Smile] Nice shots!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.