FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rival Factions

Author Topic: Rival Factions
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Project 86 recently released a new album. I reviewed it here. But it's a lot to read without spaces, so I'll copy and paste.

quote:
Dance Metal Never Sounded So Good...

I love Project 86. I own all of their albums except for their first one. They rock. And roll. All day long. Whenever I bought a Project album, I knew I could expect powerful lyrics, driving bass, and clinically insane guitar. Stephen Dail, Randy Torres, Andrew Schwab, and (until recently) Alex Albert know how to rock. They really evolved with each album. Two days ago, I would have told you that their most recent album "...And the Rest Will Follow" was their best. But I had no idea what was in store. At only 35 minutes, their newest effort is a brisk piece of musical genius. Sure, it's different. They have added a lot more melody to their metal and hardcore punk fused music. It works. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

The lyrics are more poetic now than ever. They go from really saying something "in "Molotov"" to just talking about their fans "in "Caveman Jam"". The first single "Evil (A Chorus of Resistance)" offers up some of the most mature lyrics of the band's career. The vocals are, as always, a highlight of the album. Andrew can really sing. He can really scream. And you can tell he's having fun on this CD. The vocals on this album are their most diverse to date. Hardcore on "The Forces of Radio Have Dropped a Viper Into the Rythym Section" and melodic and eerie on "Normandy."

The music is also very diverse throughout the whole album. They play a much more dramatic and etheral guitar almost as a call back to the song "Chimes" from their album Drawing Black Lines. Torres is an amazing guitar player. He can play something that is incredibly complex and mind numbingly catchy at the same time. His performance is the kind of thing that'll get stuck in your head. I've always loved Stephen Dail's bass. It's not a simple background beat. It's actually meaty, loud, and musically compelling. I listened to this album in my car. The bass was on the normal setting, but my stereo was still pulsing like I was listening to some sort of rap/dance song. Hard-hitting and amazing live.

Their stand-in drummer Gerkin does quite a job of filling some pretty large shoes. Alex Albert was a dream come true for a rock band. He could play any sort of rythym. He could play it well. And he could get a crowd going with a metal beat or a punk beat. Gerkin does well. Listen to the drumming on "Put Your Lips to the TV" or "The Forces of Radio Have Dropped a Viper Into the Rythym Section" and you won't have any doubts.

The songs are catchy and memorable. They are melodic. And still maintain the band's incredible energy. Anyone who's seen this band live knows what I'm talking about, Project 86 is a force to reckon with. They command so much attention. They control the club and can really get a crowd going. And they should really have a good time playing these songs live. They should translate very well into a live performance.

The artwork on the album case is amazing as well. It's very unique and interesting. Depending on the light you look at it, you may see different things. There are pictures under the pictures that you can only see after some careful experimentation with the case itself. They offer hidden messages that are fragments of songs or messages that the band has presented on this album.

Metal fans need to keep an open mind on this one. After a few listens, they may find their foot tapping and their head bobbing despite themselves. It may not be the Project we are all used to, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. They have matured. And the final product is definitely worth the cash.

Don't miss this amazing sixth album by an amazing band. You won't be disappointed.

Check them out here. Check out the album website here. And watch the hilarious music video for their first single "Evil (A Chorus of Resistance)" here.

Check them out.

[ June 20, 2007, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
And their MySpace is here.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.