FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Women, have you ever done this to stop unwanted male attention? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Women, have you ever done this to stop unwanted male attention?
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:

Javert, not the case with me. It's usually loose capris or possibly normal decent-length shorts, my regular tanks, socks, and shoes. It's happened when I had khaki green capris, bright red sweater, and a lilac toque (under my helmet, kinda).

Maybe riding a bike tightens your leg muscles, thereby making your legs more shapely. At least that's what I've noticed (not in your case specifically, of course). [Wink]
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
Seriously, what IS it? I'm sweaty and dishevelled, and I have my work clothes on, which means old and probably stained somehow. I'm about as far from attractive as I get, short of first-thing-in-the-too-early-morning. I never get catcalled when I'm walking, or out somewhere. Just on my bike. Usually at night. I'd be flattered, MAYBE, if I knew it was because I'm attractive. As it is, I'm bewildered. Maybe I should get a shirt with "Whistling Not Appreciated" on the back.

quote:
To some guys, "hot and sweaty" is sexy, I gather.
DING DING DING!

--------

Hot and sweaty is indeed hot. Why should the end results of exercise, i.e a hot body, be attractive, while the act that actually produces the result itself not?

It's like saying a guy who prepares a meal for you is hot, especially if the food tastes good, but the image of the guy actually artifully preparing the food is not.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hot and sweaty is indeed hot. Why should the end results of exercise, i.e a hot body, be attractive, while the act that actually produces the result itself not?
Because hot and sweaty is icky. On anyone.

A guy who cooks for me: hot.

A guy who is red and dishevelled from the heat of the kitchen and decorated with food stains and whatnot: well, not so much. (Not that I'd care, given that he cooked for me. But I wouldn't have the same visceral reaction.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
To quote Ratatouille, "See, clean sleeves and cuffs, the mark of a true chef."

Incidentally Rivka, when I come in August would there be any problems if I made chicken curry for you folks? I might need kosher chicken breasts but I am not sure if there is such a thing (or even need) for kosher curry powder.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Because hot and sweaty is icky. On anyone.

SECONDED!!!!

Oh how I hate sweat! ick Ick ICK!

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. I kinda like seeing sweat on certain people. From a distance.
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Incidentally Rivka, when I come in August would there be any problems if I made chicken curry for you folks? I might need kosher chicken breasts but I am not sure if there is such a thing (or even need) for kosher curry powder.

Most of the large brands of spices are kosher. I even have some curry powder.

However, unless you are willing to do all the prep and cooking in my kitchen, making it kosher will be impractical.

But I appreciate the thought. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

Most of the large brands of spices are kosher. I even have some curry powder.

However, unless you are willing to do all the prep and cooking in my kitchen, making it kosher will be impractical.

But I appreciate the thought. [Smile]

Now when you say preping/cooking in your kitchen does that mean I would have to actually make the curry powder myself so that you could give it the OK or that the curry simply has to be prepared and cooked at your house?

If its the later thats eazy peezy, curry takes about 1 hour to prepare.

edit: Or were you saying making it kosher is more or less impractical/impossible and thus curry is not a safe option?

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
She's saying that the spice is most likely kosher, but all the actual cooking/prep would need to take place at her house (and it probably doesn't matter if it's you who does the cooking, so long as it's her kitchen). I imagine it's because she already has all the different dishes/pans/cookware as required by Kashrut.

/shot in the dark
//is 'Kashrut' capitalized?

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

What, my curry powder isn't good enough? [Wink]

If you wanted to make the curry powder from scratch, then yeah, that'd need to be done under my eagle eye. And we'd have to discuss what you needed to make the powder.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
She's saying that the spice is most likely kosher, but all the actual cooking/prep would need to take place at her house (and it probably doesn't matter if it's you who does the cooking, so long as it's her kitchen). I imagine it's because she already has all the different dishes/pans/cookware as required by Kashrut.

Very good shot in the dark! Correct on all points. (Although it does matter if a non-Jew does the cooking, there are simple ways around that if a Jew is present. I would just have to help a little.)

Kashrut (or as I spell it, kashrus) is occasionally capitalized. Not usually by me, though. There is no such thing as a capital letter in Hebrew.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*ahem* If someone is cooking curry at rivka's house, I'm inviting myself over.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Oh, also, BB, I don't know if you're used to using ghee, yogurt, or milk in your curry sauces, but can't do that to chicken. I'm sure you knew that. But it's worth thinking about making sure you have thought about ALL the ingredients you need. [Smile] )
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
*ahem* If someone is cooking curry at rivka's house, I'm inviting myself over.

First of all, you'd be invited. [Smile]

Second of all, does Country Captain count as "curry"? If so, how much notification will you need the next time I make it? [Big Grin]

Third of all, excellent point on the dairy-ingredient issue.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, let me amend my statement.

*ahem* If someone is cooking any kind of good food at rivka's house, I'm inviting myself over. [Razz]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

KQ/Rivka: I was thinking about making Japanese curry this time around as my ability to cook good tasting Indian curry is severely limited. I'm sure Country Captain is great and all but I was thinking of bringing Vermont Curry.

All I'll need it rice, chicken breasts, carrots, potatoes, curry powder/paste. Multiply ingredients based on how many plan on eating.

You are more then welcome to help me Rivka [Smile]

You can even suggest improvements, it's pretty hard to mess up a good curry. Currently I am trying to find the best type of cheese to go with curry, but for the sake of having a guaranteed good meal we will forgo that experiment for another time.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, that and you can't eat cheese with [eta: chicken or other meat] curry at rivka's house. [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

Yup. BB, if you want a curry you can eat cheese with here, it'll have to be tofu- or vegetable-based. I wasn't suggesting that you make Country Captain. I already do, and I was taking kq literally.

Speaking of which, kq . . . are you intimating that most nights I don't make good food, or that I don't count as "someone"? Or are you planning to join us for supper tomorrow night?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, I'd be over there all the time if Jeff got home from work earlier. [Big Grin]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Well, that and you can't eat cheese with [eta: chicken or other meat] curry at rivka's house. [Wink]

There are actually plenty of meatless curries as well. Indians have it down to a science.

But Japanese curry sounds like it should be just fine, I almost wish it was past July and already August.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, I make meatless curries all the time. (Indian, specifically North Indian, that's what I know how to make, and I don't eat coconut, so no Thai curries for me. I've never had Japanese curry.) I was just sayin', can't eat it with chicken.

quote:
I almost wish it was past July and already August.
Bite your tongue! I'm taking my girls and going to visit Boon next week. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Actually, upon consideration, I'd say that curry is more of an art than a science.)
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Well, I'd be over there all the time if Jeff got home from work earlier. [Big Grin]

[Family-Feud-applause] Good answer! Good answer! [Wink]

BB, remind me about when in August is under discussion?

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

We are looking currently at driving from Utah to California on August 7th (I hate to say it but there is a SLIGHT chance we might drive to Vegas instead, spend the night, then complete the drive on the 8th). Plans are really kinda by ear and the days activities will probably be planned out the morning of. The drive back home should be on the 12th of August.

KQ sounded like she had the most flexible schedule, but it sounded like either the 8th or 9th was the best day for the most people. I can pretty much do whatever, but I'd like to line up a late afternoon-evening to visit.

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, it's on the calendar.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.