FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Adventures in the ICU - Well, hopefully not this time! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Adventures in the ICU - Well, hopefully not this time!
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I have a big favour to ask.

I took my mother to the hospital today. She's been sick for a while, and finally let me take her in. I'm not comfortable with the details being posted online, but she went in for emergency surgery early this afternoon. I'm not a doctor, but I recognised the words they were using, and they were not good words - not horrible, panic-inducing words, but scary ones.

I'm being the strong one right now. My siblings don't recognise how serious things are, and my dad is having enough trouble himself and I can't make that worse. I just want to talk to someone. One of the nurses this morning was excellent and I couldn't ask for better, but since she went off shift, people have been more close. If I could email, I'd really appreciate it.

[ January 17, 2008, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
Ali! I'm so sorry! I can't really help, but I just wanted to give you a *hug!*

I'll be thinking about you and your Mother will be in my prayers.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really help with medical advice, but I'm free to talk by e-mail if you want. Address in the profile. (((EL)))
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys. I managed to get hold of a medico-in-training friend in real life (my oldest and best friend, too boot), and being the wonderful person she is, she dropped everything and we had a long talk. I also had a cry, which helped a bit.

I'm a bit more comfortable now. What she thought was a really bad flu was actually a double-perforated bowel which had gone necrotic and then she went septic. This was unrecognised and thus untreated for 10-11 days, which didn't help. The surgery was long, but went as well as could be expected, and while she was in rough shape coming out of the OR, by the time they let us see her in ICU, her kidneys had stabilised, at least.

I'm scared, so very scared. My mom is not old at all. She's got tubes all everywhere. She's very, very sick. I finally came home, and I'll be going back in tomorrow to make sure nothing in her med history got overlooked in the shuffle. I hope she's more responsive then, because that will help both her and us.

She's tough. She's a fighter. But I am still a little girl who's terrified for her mommy.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you are! *HUG*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man. Prayers and hugs here, too.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Hugs and prayers.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

The morning report is that she's stabilising further, is awake and alert. She can't talk because of tubes, but she wrote my dad a note to pay the credit card bill, so really, that's excellent.

I'm being pretty optimistic. This is gonna be rough, but at least we can breathe some. I've been told that if I hadn't taken her in yesterday, it likely would have been too late. That scares me a lot, but I'm SO relieved I did take her in.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad for the improving news. You took good care of her when she needed you.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

So... blood pressure stabilised just in time for her to get pneumonia. Still scary, sadly. Things like this happen on tv, not to real people, not to my mom.
rivka
Member # 4859

[Frown] More hugs and prayers heading your way.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
{{{{{EL and family}}}}} Lots of healing thoughts headed your direction.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
*Another big hug*
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Well, she's still in ICU. They've been hoping for days to get her off the breathing tube and onto her trusty old CPAP, but no luck. She's mostly breathing on her own now, but the CPAP wasn't getting her enough oxygen when they tried yesterday.

I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed. My mom has always been the rudder and sail of the house. We're all pitching in, but we're just muddling along as best we can. My grandma comes tomorrow night, so everything is going to go up another gear for two weeks or so. Hopefully we can manage it.

I'm going to be a bit more assertive, for my own sanity's sake. My dad is doing his best, but he does things in a very different style, and doesn't even realise it's not the style everyone's used to. I know my own methods aren't, either, but I've got to have something familiar, some sort of rhythm I recognise, or I will get less and less functional. Step one, tomorrow: grocery shopping.

rivka
Member # 4859

*hug*

Grocery shopping is a good thing. A little normality -- plus having food around is generally a good thing.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

BREATHING TUBE OUT!

It's a wonderful day. [The Wave]

divaesefani
Member # 3763

I told you over at pweb, but I'm happy to hear it, babe. It's been a long, tough road for you. I'm sure it's nice to see some progress.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Yay!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
What ElJay said.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Sending prayers for her continued improvement.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Wonderful! [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Thanks, all. I went in to see her today and it was so great to see her smile and mouth "Love you." The breathing tube (and suction thingy) was definitely the scariest-looking thing and the thing she hated the most. She's so much more comfortable just having a mask. Hopefully things will move a little bit quicker now, but even if we continue to just plod along, having the tube out is amazing. She's also free to move her arms around more, since she doesn't have any tube to try to rip out. She can also communicate her needs more easily - all in all, her comfort level has gotten so much greater.

[Smile]

RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic!
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Big Grin]
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear it, EL. [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Well, today my mom called.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

She's out of the ICU!!

She's pretty cranky because her muscles have atrophied quite a bit in the nearly three weeks she's been in the hospital, and the week and a half bedridden before that. But the important thing is she is going to be okay. Everything else can be worked on, but she is alive and on the mend.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Yay!!! That is great news!! May she continue to improve as quickly as possible!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*high fives*

And she's well enough to be making phone calls! Excellent! [Big Grin]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear, Eaquae. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Terrific! [Smile] <celebrates>
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Yay!
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Smile]
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Today I visited after work and ended up staying to talk for more than four hours. It was pure awesomeness. I really, really miss her hugs. We talked about pretty much everything, and she can't wait to finish getting better and get home. She figures as soon as she can walk again they'll let her go home. In pursuit of that, she's doing her physio exercises devotedly, and today she stood up! We'll be getting a home care nurse for her for a while when she comes home, till everything settles properly.

Thank you everyone who offered prayers or well-wishes. Thank you so very much.

rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile]
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
That is awesome! I'm glad she's doing better.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

If there are any late-night prayers here, we're now taking my grandma to ER.
rivka
Member # 4859

!

*hugs* and prayers, headed your way. What a week!

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Grandma's in ICU. Fortunately, no surgery (yet). Unfortunately, kidneys, heart rate, and blood pressure: not good. I'm really tired of this.

Edit: I just ate a bowl of Cool Whip. It doesn't help anything, but it makes me feel a little happier. Whatever that means. What a year. DEFINITELY the most dramatic year I've ever had. It can stop now, please.

[ July 13, 2007, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

imogen
Member # 5485

Oh no. I'm really sorry, Eaquae Legit.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no. I'm so sorry.

I hope the bad year does stop. You've definitely had enough for one person lately.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

{{{EL}}}
Prayers headed your way.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

<prayers for EL's grandmother>
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, when it rains, it pours. Your family will be in my prayers.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

So the update on grandma is no update. She's a little more stable, but in horrible full-body pain. She's pretty much morphine-ated, because whenever she comes to, she is moaning with pain. They're hoping tomorrow her kidneys are stable enough to do a CT scan. We're playing a waiting game.

The last thing that happened before she got really sick was we went out to the thrift store together and had a great evening. I hope that's not my last memory of spending time with her, but if it is, it's a very good memory. I want her to stick around, though. She's my very last grandparent, and I love her.

rivka
Member # 4859

*hug*
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Another grandma update.

She's doing better-ish, it seems. She can talk again and she's more alert and in a lot less pain. They've moved her to a regular ward. It looks like she's going to be in for a few more days, and then she is going back to her nursing home. We're all kind of bummed because she's missed the surgery she was going to have to get her sight back. But, that can be rescheduled, and she's alive, which is the most important thing.

On the plus side, it seems that ambulance transport is available from one medical place to another, and grandma's nursing home seems to count. She'll be more comfortable travelling that way, to be sure.

So my family is intact, no one else shows any signs of needing emergency medical attention, and hopefully I can retire this thread in a couple weeks when my mom gets home (she is now walking a few feet at a time!).

Tatiana
Member # 6776

I'm so glad. =) That's awesome!
rivka
Member # 4859

*relieved*
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Mum's now come down with a hospital-variety staph infection. Treatable, and she's not in any huge danger, but annoying. She's not fond of all the vomiting. Just one more step, I guess. Despite that, she's getting stronger, and can now walk a little more.

Grandma is doing well-ish. She's not great, but then her health never really is. She's getting a ride on helicopter-ambulance back to her home tomorrow. I'm really glad we had the evening out together that we did, and I'm looking forward to seeing her later this summer when I'm in her area.

Life is slowly, slowly approaching normality.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.