FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is your Deathly Hallows theory? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: What is your Deathly Hallows theory?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
But it doesn't seem likely he'll have portraits in other places. Dilys had a portrait in St Mungos because she had worked there, and Phineas at Grimauld place as a relative. From what we know and is assumed, Dumbledore's other portrait could be at the hogs head [Wink]
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
But it doesn't seem likely he'll have portraits in other places. Dilys had a portrait in St Mungos because she had worked there, and Phineas at Grimauld place as a relative. From what we know and is assumed, Dumbledore's other portrait could be at the hogs head [Wink]

Don't forget all of those darn Chocolate Frog cards.

On a completely random tangent, I was watching the 2nd movie today since it was on TV and made the belated realization that Diagon Alley is very related to the word "diagonally". Yet another clever play on words by J.K. Rowling.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
D'oh!
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You're kidding me. Did you realize that Knockturn Alley was "nocturnally"?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa beat me.

One thing I'd really like to see is a Rowling Etymological dictionary of terms. What was she thinking of when she came up with some of her terms/names/spells?

Oh, and here's a question: What is your favorite Rowling term and why?

My favorites are:

"pensieve" because it's both a seive for sifting thoughts, and the fact that pensive refers to considering your own thoughts. It's also a pen in which thoughts are contained.

"Mudblood" in part because it seems to me that a really good insult was needed to convey the mentality of the pure-blood types. The dirty blood concept also fits here. It's like a really good example of method acting: Rowling getting into the mindset of her evil characters. Also because it rhymes, it feels like childish name calling. Very appropriate in a school setting.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
You're kidding me. Did you realize that Knockturn Alley was "nocturnally"?

I always thought Knockturn meant more like "wrong turn." Like knock was British way of saying bad, though not necessarily British because it's part of American parlance, to say someone was "knocked" could mean insulted. So I thought it meant if you went down there you'd made a wrong turn.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I never realized that about Knocturn Alley or Diagon Alley.

*hangs head in shame*

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand*

Neither did I. I knew Diagon was related to diagonally, but it never clicked that 'alley' was part of it.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the chocolate frog cards count, nor photographs. Just Portraits, real official portraits.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
One thing I'd really like to see is a Rowling Etymological dictionary of terms. What was she thinking of when she came up with some of her terms/names/spells?

While I am unaware of any official ones, there are several speculative ones on teh intarweb.

This one's not bad for people, although it looks like it hasn't been updated in a while.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the countdown now? I forget the release date, but isn't it getting close?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

It comes out the 21st, so 13 days.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
My Deathly Hallows theory is the same as it has been for years: the soul & memories of the James Potter we see in the pensieve memory are now in the body of the guy we know as Snape, somehow and some way, and that will be revealed in the 7th book. "Snape" (read: James) has been protecting his son Harry but is enraged by the arrogance of his own younger years when he sees it cropping up in his son. That's why he sneers at Harry and lashes out at his pridefulness.

I know, I know -- "Luke, I am your father." [Roll Eyes] But I'm pretty sure for myself that this revelation will mean everyone has to go back and reread all the books with the characters now straight to get a very different story.

As I said to Christine earlier, I'm willing to be wrong, but I await to be disproven. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I know Avada Kedavra is aramaic. The rest of her spell names look like a combination of latin/greek/aramaic ancient languages.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
But Harry really isn't that arrogant.
In fact, he's very humble considering all he's done...
Also, JKR said it wasn't so...

Also, it's so ironic that Snape hangs out with Malfoy. Malfoy is everything he hates. Arrogant, boastful, a bully. I don't get that guy.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Syn I haven't seen that on a debunked rumor site. Can you link me?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Are you kidding? Harry was loathsome in Order of the Phoenix. I wanted to tell him to shut up through half the book.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I know Avada Kedavra is aramaic. The rest of her spell names look like a combination of latin/greek/aramaic ancient languages.

It's definitely Aramaic-like. "Avada" could mean "perish", the prefix "ke" means "like", and "davra" could mean "thing", but it could also be related to a word meaning "plague" or "exterminate".
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you kidding? Harry was loathsome in Order of the Phoenix. I wanted to tell him to shut up through half the book.

Yeah, but considering what he had gone through, could you blame him for being angry? At least he has never really actively picked on other kids, usually he's the one everyone is looking at sideways.

Also, I think it was mentioned somewhere on the official site, but in some interview JKR said that there is no way James would have allowed his wife to die like that while he still was alive.
Also he'd need a lot of Polyjuice potion, and he tends to be crueler to kids than I think James would be.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Ummmmm he's never actively picked on other kids? What? He turned someone upside down once, and don't forget sectumsempra.

She's not saying polyjuice potion.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

He didn't do any of those things intensionally though, and when he did use sectumsempra he felt very guilty afterwards, quite scared.
I think Snape sneers at Harry because Harry looks like James and Snape hated james.
Or maybe to throw people off, as he did rescue him a lot in book 1. Snape's too mean to be James, who was a lot nicer once he became more mature.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
quote:

It's definitely Aramaic-like. "Avada" could mean "perish", the prefix "ke" means "like", and "davra" could mean "thing", but it could also be related to a word meaning "plague" or "exterminate".
I don't remember the exact article, but I read an interview with Rowling where she specifically said it was from Aramaic, and it means something like 'to make into nothing.' That's probably terribly off what it actually was, I'm just going off memory, but I'll try to find the article if I can. I want to say it was on the leaky cauldron.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Given that Rowling's not a linguist, I tend to take such claims as indicative more of her intent than actual translation.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
... he tends to be crueler to kids than I think James would be.

Which James? The James of the pensieve memory (adolescent) or the James of Harry's early childhood (adult)? Because, you see, I don't think they are the same James. (see below)
quote:
Snape's too mean to be James, who was a lot nicer once he became more mature.

I'd say James was a lot nicer once he "became" (i.e., was switched with) the young Snape.
quote:
... in some interview JKR said that there is no way James would have allowed his wife to die like that while he still was alive.
There are always ways of reinterpreting or intentionally interpreting words in a misleading way to make that true. JKR has done this before -- recall the "Half-Blood Prince."

----

Edited to add: For example, when she said something like "there is no way James would have allowed his wife to die like that while he was still alive," she could have been referring to the older James (i.e., formerly Snape). That James could be the referent. Certainly he was the James, at least in some sense, at that time.

For all I know, perhaps Lily thought of him as "James" because she never knew of the switch. It's one possibility. [Dont Know]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
JKR has done this before -- recall the "Half-Blood Prince."
What about the Half-Blood Prince should we recall?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't remember the exact article, but I read an interview with Rowling where she specifically said it was from Aramaic, and it means something like 'to make into nothing.' That's probably terribly off what it actually was, I'm just going off memory, but I'll try to find the article if I can. I want to say it was on the leaky cauldron.
I always jsut assumed that it was a play on the common magic words "Abra Cadabra". Naive muggles using wizards words without knowing their meaning.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Little_Doctor:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I always jsut assumed that it was a play on the common magic words "Abra Cadabra". Naive muggles using wizards words without knowing their meaning.
For me, the "Kedavra" always sounded like cadaver. Seemed obvious to me, but the other answers sound plausible, too.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
What about the Half-Blood Prince should we recall?

The words "Half-Blood Prince" ended up referring to a "half-blood prince" who was not a "half-blood prince."

That is to say, the words "half-blood prince" were taken (and -- I think obviously -- intended to be taken) to indicate someone who was actually a prince, not just someone named Prince. But she didn't lie -- just misdirected. She parses the words she uses in spoilers and anti-spoilers carefully, just as Clinton did with "There is no improper relationship."

Well, there isn't, even if there is in the most likely way the words were to be taken.
quote:
"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."

[ July 09, 2007, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
I think Snape sneers at Harry because Harry looks like James and Snape hated james.

I think he hates Harry because Lily died saving him. But he protects Harry because he's Lily's son. It all comes down to love.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Little_Doctor:

Abra Cadabra is also Aramaic.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

"Kedavra" is clearly related to "cadaver," which has Indo-European roots.

Based on what Lisa said, the phrase could mean something like "Perish, Corpse!" It could also be a pun on "avatar," I suppose.

The whole phrase is meant to recall "abracadabra."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Question:

When you're an animagus, and your animal form is an animal with magical properties, how do those properties affect you?

I ask, because what if Dumbledore is/was an unregistered animagus...perhaps a pheonix...and is able to rise from the dead?

Probably not, but fun to consider.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
I ask, because what if Dumbledore is/was an unregistered animagus...perhaps a pheonix...and is able to rise from the dead?

That's an interesting possibility.
Javert
Member # 3076

It only occurred to me because it would fit with what Rowling has said, that Dumbledore is really dead, while still giving him the possibility to return.
Lisa
Member # 8384

I thought Rowling said he's going to stay dead.

In fact (link):
quote:
Dumbledore is really dead. He is not in hiding and is not coming back.
Incidentally, shouldn't that page be rumours.shtml, and not rumors.shtml?

[ July 09, 2007, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:

"Kedavra" is clearly related to "cadaver," which has Indo-European roots.
I don't think it's clear at all. The form is clearly Aramaic.

I just checked out an Aramaic-English dictionary I have, and it turns out that the verb D-B-R in Aramaic doesn't mean the same thing that it does in Hebrew. In Aramaic, it means "take" or "bring". But the prefix "ke" still doesn't make sense there. Without it, it could mean something like "Destruction take you!"

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
The whole phrase is meant to recall "abracadabra."

That's probably true.
pooka
Member # 5003

I don't like to think about the etymology aspect much. It's like trying to make sense of the names in Star Trek.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
I don't like to think about the etymology aspect much. It's like trying to make sense of the names in Star Trek.

You don't get them all? **You do realize that every single name corresponds to an American congressman from the House as it existed in 1966.

The Next Generation is based in 1987's Senate,

Deep Space Nine is 1993's House

and Voyager follows 1995's Senate.

Enterprise broke this trend and hence is considered non canon. *

Speaking of, was anybody else surprised to see Sisko masquerading as an inept federal agent in Live Free or Die Hard?

*not actually true [Wink]

** The following is all a vicious lie.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Snape is useless as a spy now...
I agree with this statement, but I think that doesn't matter. The Order doesn't need him as a spy at this point. I think Snape is now in the position he needs to be in to play his part in Voldemort's downfall. He doesn't need any of the Order to know the truth. In fact, he needs all of them to believe he's evil. That's the only way he'll be able to get close enough to Voldemort to make it possible for Harry to kill him. I definitely think that Snape will end up sacrificing himself at the Crucial Moment and then Harry will be able to kill Voldemort.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Unless Snape sacrifices himself, I have a hard time imagining an unambiguous resolution to which side Snape is on. Maybe a magically unforgeable communication from Dumbledore explaining what happened would be convincing enough.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Maybe Snape is like Gollum -- on his own side.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Bump for Christine.
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Repost from the new thread I started for the sake of consistency:

So I watched an interview with JK Rowling (linked to via Mugglenet) and in it she said that while she did not cry at the end of the novel, there was a chapter that, when she finished, she bawled and grabbed a bottle of champaigne from the hotel mini-bar. As I was watching her recount that experience, I naturally wondered what on earth could have happened to make her cry like that, and the first thing that popped into my head was: Hermione dies.

I know we've been spouting off a lot of theories about this and that and I've been hoping the trio comes through this alive, but that may be unrealistic. Earlier in the interview, Rowling suggested that Hermione was the most like her and I think maybe that's why I thought Hermione died in the chapter that made her cry.

Here's the full interview in two parts..it's kind of long but pretty funny:

http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/1059

Anyone else have a theory about what made her cry?

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

I'd be willing to guess that whatever deaths there are would cause her to cry.

There will probably be deaths along the way, but there is almost certainly going to be some sort of final huge battle or confrontation that may very well come near a 'bloodbath'. This is probably where she cried.

pooka
Member # 5003

Maybe she cried when (insert inappropriate slash fanfic pairing) finally confess their true feelings. After all, she grabbed a bottle of champange. It could have been tears of joy.

Is there Umbridge/Grawp fanfic? Or the tension breaks between Trelawney and Firenze. That would be the worst dialogue ever.

Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Maybe she cried when (insert inappropriate slash fanfic pairing) finally confess their true feelings. After all, she grabbed a bottle of champange. It could have been tears of joy.

Is there Umbridge/Grawp fanfic?

We never did find out what really happened with Umbridge and the centaurs...
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

The universe ending in some way, either hogwarts falling down, magic ceasing to exist, or everyone knowing about magic.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I haven't gotten through the interview yet, but I do hope there is a part for Bob Hoskins.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Christine:

Snape. He's the most emotionally hurt and vulnerable person in the entire series, and his redemption and death is probably what made her break down.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
The name of this curse is related to the popular "mumbo-jumbo" magical phrase Abracadabra, which is actually of Aramaic origin: abhadda kedhabhra, meaning "disappear like this word".[1] Alternatively, the Aramaic words translate as "I create as I speak".[2]

A footnote in some editions of the Vietnamese translations of the Harry Potter books state a false etymology: "avatar cadaver": see [1].

Also, Romanian translations use Abracadabra as Avada Kedavra. The reasons for this is believed to be from the Latin word cadaver, which can mean corpse.

In the Hungarian translation of Harry Potter and the Goblet Of Fire and The Order Of The Phoenix, Avada Kedavra is mentioned and used many times as "Adava Kedavra". It is considered as a translating mistake because in the 6th book (The Half-Blood Prince) the curse is called Avada Kedavra.

During an audience interview at the Edinburgh Book Festival (15 August 2004) Rowling said:

"Does anyone know where avada kedavra came from? It is an ancient spell in Aramaic, and it is the original of abracadabra, which means “let the thing be destroyed”. Originally, it was used to cure illness and the “thing” was the illness, but I decided to make it the “thing” as in the person standing in front of me. I take a lot of liberties with things like that. I twist them round and make them mine."

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.