FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mormons "support Hamas and treat women like the Taliban" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Mormons "support Hamas and treat women like the Taliban"
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an interesting article about Senator John Mccain's county chairman Chad Workman's comments about Mormons.

Romney's Religion

I have a feeling the Mormons are going to get slandered a lot more as the elections get nearer.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...

Small fish with big mouths. It's not a big deal.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure why you brought this up, but it is hardly worthy of news. From what I gather, he didn't impress a lot of those in attendants. He came off as a biggot of the most lowly of kinds. It can't do much more than help Romney.

More and more I believe that McCain's run for Pres. is finished. The reason his poll numbers are still up (they continue to fall) is mere name recognition. Now why Gilliani is national poll front runner I just don't understand. He isn't special or hold to the important social stances (although he is trying to at least sound moderate on those) that Republicans hold in large numbers. As for the Thompson that isn't in the race yet? He is a contender because many undecided Repubs are grasping for straws, but his actual record is very similar to Romney in past and present policy statements.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey at least he accused Mormonism of things I had yet to hear before.

I'd actually be interested in hearing why he'd think that the church supports Hamas.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere the other day that accused Romney of expecting a cadre of virgins in the next life. Now that's just sad.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackB, because the official Church actually doesn't hate Muslims and often works with some Islamic governments. Therefore, because the Church holds no political postions on Islam they support Hamas. I don't know if that is the excuse he used, but it is something that I could easily hear someone say. Never mind that the Church has had a relationship with some in Israel as well, and like may Christians holds Jews in high religious respect.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Well, sure - if you're not officially against the enemy, then you're for the enemy. If you want to be friends, you have to hate everyone they hate.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, the Hamas accusation is linked to Mormon efforts with Islamic Relief Worldwide to help earthquake victims - an IRW operative was accused of helping Hamas, and the attempt is to tie that incident to the Mormon Church.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus "Mormon" and "Muslim" are both six letter words that start with "M." How should anyone be expected to distinguish between them!?!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Well, sure - if you're not officially against the enemy, then you're for the enemy. If you want to be friends, you have to hate everyone they hate.

You've got to be carefully taught!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Occasional: I could have probably guessed that, I am tired this morning and didn't really commit any thought to the solution, thanks for doing my work for me. [Wink] It just seemed sort of funny to have a church school in Jerusalem (dedicated to Jewish studies) but support Hamas. Though I suppose incompetance has authored stranger contradictions then that.

Dag: I think I remember that now that you mention it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
You evil Mormons can't fool me. I read Burned, man, I know -all- the facts! *huff huff*

On my mission, one of my areas had a -very- interesting cassette called "Mormonism on Islam" in the Ward library. It made for fascinating listening.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon...Mormons, Muslims...Moroni, Muhammed...all start with an M.

Coincidence? I think not!

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Well you know Those Mormons just want Money- Look at what they've done to Salt Lake City!

They're in league with the FreeMasons to take over the world, along with the Muslims, just so they can destroy good Christian values.

This whole conspiracy is around the letter M- the symbol of Mary, the virgin Mother of Jesus that the Holy Roman Catholics worship!

See how it fits all in there!

Hmm... McCain... I wonder....

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

On a serious note- McCain's talk was utterly ridiculous, absurd, and despicable. I think that's the worst one I've heard about the LDS church. (Of course I'm not LDS- the only ones I've heard is not much in real life, but mostly from the 'rack)
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I bet McCain is a closet Mormon. That's going to cause a scandal when that comes to light! The Inquirer is going to run pictures of McCain sneaking out the back of the Temple in Salt Lake City... in a speedo.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
A Florida televangelist, Bill Keller, told followers recently that a vote for Romney is a vote for Satan.
quote:
ent from Providence, the mailing alleged that church members believe in multiple gods, likened its founder, Joseph Smith, to the Islamic prophet Mohammed, and raised alarm about future directives Mormons may be required to follow.
Oh. My. Stars. Future directives that Mormons may be required to follow? For the record, every one of the bolded words is objectionable in and of itself.

*sigh* People are idiots.
quote:
One note sent to South Carolina voters warned of the "dark suspicions" about Mormonism, telling recipients to "trust your instincts" because "Mitt Romney has a family secret he doesn't want you to know," Salon, the online magazine, reported recently. The "secret" was the long-acknowledged fact that Romney has polygamous ancestors, Salon reported.
Oh yeah - we should definitely disqualify everyone who had is related to anyone who did anything shocking our time (never mind if it was legal at the time) any time within the past 150 years.

On the upside, the only "scandal" in Romney's life isn't even from his life.

I am not particularly fond of Romney as a candidate, but attacking him for his religion is ticking me off.

RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I am waiting for the baby eating tabloids.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
On a serious note- McCain's talk was utterly ridiculous, absurd, and despicable. I think that's the worst one I've heard about the LDS church. (Of course I'm not LDS- the only ones I've heard is not much in real life, but mostly from the 'rack)

"McCain's talk"? What talk? The article was about a county campaign chairman who made comments at a meeting he was attending.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

OKay- sorry. Didn't read the article- just was reading the thread!

Oops!

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by RunningBear:
I am waiting for the baby eating tabloids.

Oh I've got the lowdown on that. Romney does not eat babies, nope, he can't stand the taste.

He does however feed babies to other babies.

Occasional
Member # 5860

The thing is, this was much worse that the other comments of the other candidates' representatives. Yet McCain has been the only one NOT to apologize; ever. The others I can shake my head with amusement. McCain just makes me think he holds the same or hopes they will at least do damage.

As for treating women like the Taliban? Well, sure. By the same criteria, so do Catholics and Baptists.

[ June 22, 2007, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Occasional ]

Scott R
Member # 567

The article mentioned that McCain's campaign apologized.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wouldn't this require some kind of baby processor? Unless, of course, "baby formula" is actually its own recipe!
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ?:
This is an interesting article about Senator John Mccain's county chairman Chad Workman's comments about Mormons.
Romney's Religion

That's disgusting.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Wouldn't this require some kind of baby processor? Unless, of course, "baby formula" is actually its own recipe!"

Now I'm going to hurl. Spew chunks! Blow my cookies! Chunder!

pick the word/phrase of your choice.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Wouldn't this require some kind of baby processor? Unless, of course, "baby formula" is actually its own recipe!
Whats more gross then three dead babies in a garbage sac?

One dead baby in three garbage sacks.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little surprised this guy isn't off the campaign.

But, I mean, I am starting to wonder how they got hold of the top-secret members-only tithing slips that they keep in the locked drawer of the clerk's office, with "Hamas" instead of "Humanitarian Fund" on that line. I was assured my donations would remain confidential...

Oh, well. *goes to put on her burka*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh good grief. [Frown]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Was that at the dead baby joke or me?)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

Yes, to be fair he did apologize. I didn't read that until after my comments. Still, I am not a fan of McCain at all as a candidate or as a public figure. He gets too spiteful and angry too easily.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
(*grin

Occasional, there is just a tad of irony in that last bit.)

Thank goodness for men like Romney who are willing to take it on the chin. If it doesn't work out for him, then at least it will (hopefully) be better for the next Mormon with a presidential bid in the US.

Religious bigotry is ugly.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't decided if I like Romney yet. His change on abortion is convenient to his new political ambitions. This doesn't mean it's not honest, but it does make me more suspicious of it than I would be if it was politically inconvenient for him to have done so.

I've only seen second-hand stuff about his changes on abortion and civil same sex marriage, mostly from detractors, so I need to dig into primary source material before the Virginia primary.

And that's on top of all the other research I need to do about all the other issues and all the other candidates.

I feel like I'm behind in political research, but we're still more than 6 months from the first primary. It's the pace of the campaign that's out of sync, not me.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It was at the baby thing - not you, KQ. [Smile]
Occasional
Member # 5860

"there is just a tad of irony in that last bit." How so?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, good, I didn't think my humorometer was off that much.

I did have to restrain myself to keep from telling my favorite dead baby joke, though. [Wink] (When my dad got sick of elephant jokes he taught us the dead baby jokes that were popular when he was in school-- and promptly regretted it.)

Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, this doesn't change my opinion of McCain or Romney. I don't like either of their political positions on almost everything.

So, if they want to level silly attacks at eachother, I say let them!

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

According to the link he "discussed an article" that made the allegation that the LDS church supports Hamas. While still kind of tacky, "Did you see such-and-such in XYZ magazine" is not quite the same as "Hey, did you know that Mormons do ___."
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, given how popular polygamous marriage was (and in some parts, still is) across the world, it would be hard to find anyone running for president who doesn't have polygamy in their family tree. I mean, good grief - what a ridiculous "family secret" to expose.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

According to the link he "discussed an article" that made the allegation that the LDS church supports Hamas. While still kind of tacky, "Did you see such-and-such in XYZ magazine" is not quite the same as "Hey, did you know that Mormons do ___."
quote:
Workman questioned whether Mormons were Christians, discussed an article alleging that the Mormon Church helps fund Hamas, and likened the Mormons' treatment of women to the Taliban's, said participants, who requested anonymity to discuss the meeting freely.

One participant summed up Workman's argument this way: "The fundamental flaw of Mitt Romney . . . was that he was Mormon, not because he thinks this way or that way on one issue."

To me, that says he discussed the article, and then likened the treatment of women to the Taliban's, and people came away with a message that Mormon=bad president.

It's the kind of thing that many candidates would immediately want someone off the campaign for. I've seen people resign public office, lose jobs, and resign from organizations for remarks of similar quality.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:

But in the context of the other things he said, it seems likely that he brought up the article because he agreed with the message and wanted to promulgate the idea. But this is just based on my interpretation of the summary of the account of some people who were there, so I admit I could be off.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
if they want to level silly attacks at eachother, I say let them!
The first issue I have with this is that McCain and Romney aren't attacking each other in these examples.

The attack seems to be entirely one-directional, and it not coming from McCain, but from those who support his campaign.

Second: The attacks are not attacks on Romney himself, but on Romney's religion. Further, the attacks are fueled by a misunderstanding (or misinterpretation) of Mormon theology. Even further, some of the attacks are on Mormons themselves-- claims that we treat women like the Taliban, or that we intentionally fund Hamas.

Third: Attack campaigns do harm to political discourse and civility in America, no matter who participates in them. Attack campaigns erect barriers to solutions, by casting the opponent in such an irrational light, that no work can be done with them.

It's not just a matter of them taking each other out-- if it is an attack campaign, it damages ALL political discourse to a degree.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, Scott.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

That said-- I'm not concerned that there will be an outpouring of hatred against Mormons, even if the attacks continue.
Occasional
Member # 5860

Well I finally found a place, I am loath to link to because of its overly anti-Mormon (heck, anti-anything-but-my-brand-of-Christian) attacks, that discusses the relationship. It's a blog called "Independant Conservative" if you want to try and find it.

Basically, it says because Mormons (and others) gave to a relief agency where some of its members have questionable ties to Hamas then they are all in evil bed together. I can just hear what this person would say about Mormons because they also give to Catholic charities. What is really unnerving is he claims the only Christian thing to do is to give to Christians only. If you give to non-Christians, it should only be as part of evangilizing those heathens you are apparently helping - although its questionable that you should be helping them at all.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Occasional, do you still believe that Mormon bigotry is worse from the left than from the right? I grant that we'd only be absolutely sure if Romney were chosen as the Republican candidate, and saw what the Democrat opponent did, but I have to think that the two incidents here (the supporter speech, and the mailing) are worse than anything the left has done thus far.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

Over time I have come to the conclusion they are both just as bad. The only difference is that the Left attack Mormons as a foil against all religious people. Often times there is no distinction between what the Left says and what the Right says. They often agree with each other in ways that are really suprising. So, the best that can be said is that they are equally as bigotted and questionable.

Just remember, the guy who wouldn't shake Romney's hand because he was a Mormon was on the left.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough. Just was interested, given your prior threads. I hope you didn't feel it was a trap (it wasn't). Thanks for the answer!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
"there is just a tad of irony in that last bit." How so?

The juxtaposition of the following:

quote:
The thing is, this was much worse that the other comments of the other candidates' representatives. Yet McCain has been the only one NOT to apologize; ever.

followed shortly by this:
quote:
Yes, to be fair he did apologize. I didn't read that until after my comments.

and, in the same post,

quote:
He [McCain] gets too spiteful and angry too easily.
Whereas you had just gotten angry with McCain for something which you then had just acknowledged that he hadn't done, and that you realized this because you actually posted before you read the piece.

No biggie. [Smile] Just kinda cute.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

Bokon, the disconnect you see with my past opinions is the kinds of attacks. The Right has always been very vocal anti-Mormon, but it hasn't been political. Whenever the Left has said anything it has always been political. From that perspective I still think the Left is worse; although recent examples have put a question on that premise.

For instance, the MSM has quoted right leaning people they interview, but very few actual public statements come directly from the right anti-mormons. Therefore, it comes off as more of the news making a story rather than a story actually existing. Those who have actually printed anti-mormon comments have been the left without reporter interference. Now, these right leaning comments are disturbing, but they are basically below the radar internal. I don't belief they would have the effect of going beyond the regional area they started with. With the MSM broadcasting these things as if a messanger, I wonder if they extend farther or length of time than they otherwise would have.

Now, as far as the amount of them recently uncovered that brings up an equalization. The Right is going low key, where the Left is going open and direct. The Right has also starting becoming more political rather than just religious. Like you said, time will tell.

[ June 22, 2007, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Occasional ]

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.