FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How to deal with spam posts

Author Topic: How to deal with spam posts
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Floods of spam have recently caused the "new member" function to be briefly turned off. This may be happening again.

If you suspect you may be experiencing spam, don't panic. Although spam is contagious, its effects on you are generally cosmetic rather than debilitating -- at least, if the infection is contained quickly.

Steps to take:
1. Don't touch it!
2. Wash your hands well, anyway. Handwashing is good.
3. But don't click on the link.
4. Use the "report post" function (the whistle icon at the bottom of the post) to alert your local sanitation professional.
5. Let your friends know you are unclean and have sought professional advice. You can do this by ringing a bell or by posting that you have contacted PapaJanitor. Otherwise, your friendly sanitation engineer may be overloaded with reams of paperwork from all your friends scrambling to distance themselves from you and your filthy, perverted ways.
6. Wash your hands again. It's good for you.

[Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I'M STILL DIRTY! [Angst]
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Do I have to sleep in my own tent for 7 days?
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I whistled this thread.

Oh, wait. You didn't mean posts about spam?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Yes, you are.

Yes.

Yes, that too. But now you touched it! *points
"Unclean, unclean!"

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Burn 'em!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
<bathes soaks soaps scrubs>
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you bathe your soaks and soap your scrubs won't you be kind of soggy?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a witch, I'm NOT a witch! And this isn't my nose, it's a false one.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
*Points at Goody Scrivener*

She turned me into a newt!

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
A newt?
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(He got better.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I got better.

(Gah! She beat me to it!)

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Spam Man!
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I <3 CT. [Big Grin]

I only have one addition.

7. When relevant, write negative review at Amazon.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh didja? {resists urge to search for threads to get book names}
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yep. [Big Grin] I don't think it's up yet, though.

I take that back. It is. [Evil]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*marks rivka's review "helpful"*

Well, it is.

*marks all the spam reviews "unhelpful"*

rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, I already marked the single negative review (well, the only one before mine) "helpful."

I just noticed how long the book has been out. Wow, talk about beating a dead horse!

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I just noticed how long the book has been out. Wow, talk about beating a dead horse!

The book is self-published, so he probably has a huge stack of them in his garage to get rid of. Clearly the poor guy is desperate, but any sympathy I have is buried under annoyance with the spamming.

Today's take-home lesson: If you can't get your fiction published by someone else, it probably won't sell if you publish it yourself.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, I realize it's self-published. But it's one of those print-on-demand outfits. There is no stack of books in his garage.

Just a stack of ego desperately trying not to deflate. [Razz]

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Although, looking at their prices, he might almost be better off with the stack in his garage.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Heh. Probably so. But it's clear his hope is to get enough buzz that the book gets picked up by a real publisher . . . [Roll Eyes]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Well done, JT.
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
All this talk of hand washing...

It smacks of obsessive compulsion if you ask me.

[Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
But it goes so well with eggs and hashbrowns!

You can even add it to a fried rice recipe for added deliciousness!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
Today's take-home lesson: If you can't get your fiction published by someone else, it probably won't sell if you publish it yourself.

Conspiracy theorists have an easy time self-publishing their fiction.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

But do they have an easy time selling it?

Well, one of the exceptions to the "no self-publishing rule" is if you have a ready audience that is not served by an existing publisher (such as a motivational speaker). This is usually not the case with fiction, but in very specific sub-genres (such as conspiracy theories, I suppose) it might be true.

Plus, note that I said "it probably won't sell."

--Mel

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Well done, pH.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to spam-fighting, we're all winners.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I admit I posted before whistling 'cause I thought my post would be funny and wanted to be sure I got it in first. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.