FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » To avoid potential, future confusion

Author Topic: To avoid potential, future confusion
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
The appendix is on the lower, right side of the abdomen. Not the lower left side like I thought. So yeah. I was in the hospital overnight after my appendix ruptured. I'm okay now, just thought I'd let everyone in on this little bit of trivia, since it's not going to be a problem for me any more [Big Grin]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear you're doing better. Maybe I'll get a tattoo with an arrow, so I know if the need arises.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you're better, and they caught it in time to, you know, have you not die.

And yeah, it's on the right. Didn't you learn that when your tummy hurt as a kid? Or was I the only one? (My mom is a nurse, my dad is a doctor, when I had severe abdominal pains, which was frequently as I have IBS, they'd make me lie down and palpate my abdomen to make sure I didn't have appendicitis-- but only if the RIGHT lower part hurt.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Yeah. But for some reason it had stuck in my head that it was on the left side. I have no idea why. Maybe it was a TV show that convinced me of this. I'm not sure. But yeah. I was actually planning on waiting another day before visiting the doctor, but some friends convinced me to err on the side of caution. Good thing too [Big Grin]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I had pain on my lower left side right before I had my appendix out. Course, that might just have been the pain from a cyst overriding the pain signals from my appendix. Though it was covered in scar tissue which meant chronic infections that had gone unnoticed and without any pain in that area.

Glad you're okay! Are you already out of the hospital? I guess they don't do surgery is the darn thing explodes itself. Atleast its something that can only happen once!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Boris!

Heavens, I'm glad you are okay.

The appendix is usually on the lower right, but the guts are a weird and marvelous thing, and you can get the appendix on the left or even in back behind the colon. (What a pain in the butt.)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My appendix is behind my colon (but on my right.) How do I know? Loooong story...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
I had pain on my lower left side right before I had my appendix out. Course, that might just have been the pain from a cyst overriding the pain signals from my appendix. Though it was covered in scar tissue which meant chronic infections that had gone unnoticed and without any pain in that area.

Glad you're okay! Are you already out of the hospital? I guess they don't do surgery is the darn thing explodes itself. Atleast its something that can only happen once!

They did laproscopic surgery to take out what was left of it. I got out of the hospital friday morning and have been getting steadily better since.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Just be glad they do laparoscopic surgery now. [Razz] 11 years ago, they mostly didn't.

Shanna, surgery is MORE important when the appendix ruptures, not less.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I thought but when I first read the post I noticed the "overnight" part and thought like that seemed like an awfully short time in the hospital following surgery (I was in for atleast three nights and even then, left earlier than my doctors had wanted.)
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The wonders of laparoscopic surgery, I guess. I spent a week in the hospital, plus another two weeks mostly in bed at home when I had my appendix out. Not to mention the huge scar.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. The scar from my appendix removal is about 2" long. The operation was 5 years ago (I was 21 at the time). Although the scar was pretty nasty at first, it has healed to where it's only a small thin white line on the surface.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't have surgery when it bursts, usually you die.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch, that would stink!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:

Yep. Can we all say Harry Houdini?

Surgery and antibiotics are necessary with a burst (or highly inflamed) appendix.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for getting your exploding appendix removed quickly and fairly easily!

quote:
I guess they don't do surgery is the darn thing explodes itself. At least its something that can only happen once!
quote:
Unless you're really weird and have an undersized appendix that when infected looks to be normal sized so doctors only discover you've had a constantly infected and exploding appendix (over the course of like a year) when it blows up in their face during surgery. That will do all kinds of nasty things to your body. [Smile]

And no, this did not happen to me, but to my mother.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't people be made backwards? Would it really make a difference?
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Burst appendices can also (rarely) get walled off by the body, and the person survives. Don't count on it, though.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.