FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Reading Rainbow" question

Author Topic: "Reading Rainbow" question
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody remember the guy at the end of the show who painted scenes from a story as he narrated the book, simultaneously? I really can't remember his name, and my lackluster Google-fu skillz don't seem to find it. I was singing the theme song and praising the show to high heaven (the old theme song, of course) to someone I am currently seeing.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't find out here, you could ask at IMDB and/or browse through all the links at the Wikipedia article.

Wish I could help myself, but I don't remember.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It might have been a one-shot deal, I don't recall that and I watched RR through most of my childhood.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved that show.

Sorry, but I do not recall that either.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly
Member # 9576

- posted      Profile for Kelly   Email Kelly         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, but I don't think it was on Reading Rainbow.

It's a little hard to remember, so I might be wrong.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly, I was also thinking it might be a different show.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Maybe it was. I clearly remember that it was about 5 minutes long, and it came at the end of some Public Television show. The guy had a mustache, and was a gripping storyteller. He always left me wanting to hear more.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:
Maybe it was. I clearly remember that it was about 5 minutes long, and it came at the end of some Public Television show. The guy had a mustache, and was a gripping storyteller. He always left me wanting to hear more.

That can't possibly be Reading Rainbow. Wouldn't have fit into the format at all.

OH! But I do know exactly who you are talking about! I might even come up with a name eventually . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Brown hair and mustache. Chalk, used to rapidly sketch pictures. He did "Island of the Blue Dolphins" once.

Jim Something? Or maybe John Something?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this show!

It was on PBS, but it wasn't Reading Rainbow.

Arrrgh. What was it?!? [Frown]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I have just spent almost an hour chasing down leads. No real luck, though.

*growl* Thanks, steven. Because I really needed to be obsessing about this! >_<

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. That was seriously the most epic google-fu I've ever pulled. But I finally found a likely candidate.

quote:
Storytime is here; let's gather 'round

And travel in our minds so far and free

To once upon a time

That's where things happen

Come along with me and see.

Come on, everybody… Gather 'Round.

Paul Lally and Rae Owings, both legends of ITV for their work on The Word Shop and Cover To Cover, gained their own children's series in 1978. In "Gather 'Round", Lally narrated well-known fairy tales and folk tales. Rae Owings made chalk drawings that complimented Lally's narrations.

Alternately, it could be "Storybound"

quote:

This was the last series John Robbins hosted for the renamed Children's Television International (CTI). Its format was tapped directly from Cover To Cover: Robbins introduced a book and drew a scene from it, while a narrator read a passage from the book. Virtually every show had the narration end at a "cliffhanger" moment. Robbins told viewers to read the book to find out the whole story.

For John Robbins, Storybound was one of his last efforts produced for the late Ray Gladfelter.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
You're thinking of Mark Kistler's Imagination Station.

Not that painting was involved. He used pencils and markers, mostly.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I think Storybound was how I found out about The Dark is Rising. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:

Nope. Found that yesterday, and ruled it out. And I had also ruled out "Gather Round."

However, it WAS "Cover to Cover"/"Storybound"!!! I told you it was either a Jim or a John! And he did do Island of the Blue Dolphins!

Thanks, Puffy! [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

He also did a similar show called ReadIt!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Thank Samprimary. He's the one who found it. [Smile]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:

Nope. Found that yesterday, and ruled it out. And I had also ruled out "Gather Round."
What? Did you suddenly become the person who started the thread or are you an alt for steven?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Thank Samprimary. He's the one who found it. [Smile]

Oops! [Blushing] Thanks, Samp! [Big Grin]

PC, go stuff it. steven wasn't the only one looking.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
PC, go stuff it. steven wasn't the only one looking.

Think about it. Why would I reply to your posts? You weren't the one asking the question. You can't possibly know if steven was looking for the link I posted or not. The fact that you acted so dismissively to the suggestion really pissed me off. How did you expect me to reply? I don't care what you're looking for. Believe it or not, I wanted to give steven the information and see if that's what he was looking for, as it seemed most likely.

The old Imagination Station show WAS a short and not a half-hour program. Mark's moustache was always a prominent feature.

Seriously, sometimes I don't think you know how your posts come across. You generally have a know-it-all tone that really gets under my skin. I'd suggest knocking it off yourself.

steven
Member # 8099

I appreciate the Google-fu on all counts. Keep it up.
steven
Member # 8099

Actually, upon further looking, it appears to probably be John Robbins, of "Cover to Cover" and "readit". However, I can't find a picture of him anywhere.

Ha, I used Google Images (bless Google Images, all hail its power) to find a picture .

rivka
Member # 4859

Glynn, I apologize. You are absolutely correct; there was no reason to assume that the show I was thinking of was the one steven had in mind, and I was wrong to do so.

My frustration from yesterday's unsuccessful hunt and excitement at finding the answer to something that had been gnawing at my brain all night is my only defense -- and it certainly isn't much of one.

I apologize again for both my words and my tone. (And I would have posted this earlier if I had had even a few minutes of not-strictly-work-related online time all day.)

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

And I'm sorry for being snarky back. It's not like you're on my list or anything. [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

You know I'm really tired when my initial reaction was, "Well, why am I not on it?" [Wink]
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, if it makes you feel better, I'll put you on my list. [Evil]
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, she's already on my list. *leers*

Oh, wait. I promised not to start that again. Sorry! [Taunt]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The only list I've got.

I keep telling him to cut an album for goodness' sake.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
Rivka, if it makes you feel better, I'll put you on my list. [Evil]

I was a teacher for 10+ years. I know better than to get on any teacher's list! [Angst]
steven
Member # 8099

Rivka, did you teach gifted kids? I only ask because your personality reminds me somewhat of my AG English teacher's, who taught me and my merry cohorts for 3 years from 7th-9th grade.

We haven't recovered yet. However, we gave as good as we got. I don't think she'll ever forget our class.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
Rivka, did you teach gifted kids?

Nope. I did teach the upper-track science classes.
steven
Member # 8099

Right now, I'm singing the "Reading Rainbow" theme in my head.

"I...can...go anywhere.." Ba-Bum-Bum...

For no great reason, since John Robbins was apparently never on the show.

I had fun with most of my science teachers. The more committed they were to the job, the better we got along.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.