FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An interesting number/time.

Author Topic: An interesting number/time.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Bored out of my skull and watching the clock the other day I realized something interesting.

Well, interesting to any number nerds out there.

I am thinking of a number.

Its 1/5 less than 1/2 an hour.
Its 1/5 more than 1/3 an hour.
Its 3/5 more than 1/4 an hour.
and
Its 2/5 of 1 hour.

And the number has no 5 in it.

What is the number.

(and if any of my math is wrong, feel free to scream and point)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
24?
Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
/time and space continuum asplodes
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and its a descent TV show as well.

1/2 hour = 30 minutes. 1/5 of 30 is 6. 30-6=24.
1/3 hour = 20 minutes. 1/5 of 20 is 4. 20+4=24.

etc. etc.

ok. When I'm bored I go into nerd zone.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason that 60 was picked as the number of minutes in an hour is that it's divisible by 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, and 15.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
It also ends in a cliffhanger every week.

Edit: now that I see the other comments I retract my anticipated joke.

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
720, your credit score.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:
720, your credit score.

The FIRST time I saw that commercial and the guy asked me if I knew what number he was thinking of I honestly said in my head, "720!" It was kinda creepy when he corroberated that I had just read his mind.

It was just alittle stranger to get a new license plate and see 720 emblazoned on the plate when I asked for a random number. I'm too afraid to look up my credit score for fear of being attacked again by the number seven hundred and twenty.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
720! is a very large number. I wish 720! was my credit score.

OK, here we go, my favorite number sequence puzzle: what comes next in this sequence?

0, 1, 2, 720!, ...

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, google doesn't seem to acknowledge punctuation, which is a problem when you're trying to make a distinction between n and n!.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
How about 620448401733239439360000!

To express it in the same manner as 720!

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
24!!!
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Close, HollowEarth, but 0! = 1. Qaz has it.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
So its:
code:
n |  0  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4   |  5
| 0 | 1! | 2!!| 3!!!| 4!!!!| 5!!!!!

then?

edit:

Incidently I can't find your sequence in here. They have one that's close but its obviously not what you've got in mind.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Yup.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awfully cool, I think! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by HollowEarth:
Incidently I can't find your sequence in here. They have one that's close but its obviously not what you've got in mind.

Wow... that site's useful... and useless... at the same time!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.