FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Ender's Game" rave in Scalzi's "The Ghost Brigades"

Author Topic: "Ender's Game" rave in Scalzi's "The Ghost Brigades"
Chris_Johnston
Member # 10582

- posted      Profile for Chris_Johnston   Email Chris_Johnston         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just reading John Scalzi's The Ghost Brigades, in which a squad of Special Forces soldiers (grown in vitro like the "tanks" in Space: Above and Beyond) are going through their first days of training after being decanted...

quote:
On the fifth day, during which the afternoon was spent in an informational session about the disposition of the human colonies and their relationship with other intelligent species (which was to say, bad all the time), the 8th critically evaluated pre-Colonial era speculative fiction and entertainments about interstellar wars with aliens. The verdicts were reasonably consistent. The War of the Worlds met with approval until the ending, which struck the 8th as a cheap trick. Starship Troopers had some good action scenes but required too much unpacking of philosophical ideas; they liked the movie better, even though they recognized it was dumber. The Forever War made most of the 8th unaccountably sad; the idea that a war could go on that long was almost unfathomable to a group of people who were a week old. After watching Star Wars everyone wanted a lightsaber and was irritated that the technology for them didn't really exist. Everyone also agreed the Ewoks should all die.
Two classics stuck with them. Ender's Game delighted them all; here were soldiers who were just like them, except smaller. The main character was even bred to fight alien species like they were. The next day the members of the 8th greeted each other with the salutation ::Ho, Ender,:: until Brahe told them to knock it off and pay attention.
The other was...

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
What was the other one?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris_Johnston
Member # 10582

- posted      Profile for Chris_Johnston   Email Chris_Johnston         Edit/Delete Post 
A fictitious title, "written" closer to the year depicted in the book.
Here's the rest of the paragraph...
quote:
The other was Charlie's Homecoming, one of the last books before the Colonial era began, and one of the last books, therefore, to be able to imagine a universe other than what it was—one where the alien species humanity would meet greeted them with a welcome instead of a weapon. The book was eventually adapted into a film; by that time it was clear it wasn't science fiction, but fantasy, and a bitter one at that. It was a flop. The members of the 8th were transfixed by both the book and film, captivated by a universe they could never have, and one which would never have had them, because they wouldn't be needed.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
They turned down Starship Troopers!!!!

Did the author even read the book?!

AAAAAAAUGGHHH!!!!

Maybe I should consider that this is not reality.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have little problems imagining somebody from a drastically different culture having troubles wading through and disliking Heinlein's soapboxes in that book.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that is true.

I guess I don't consider them as such because I agree with more than a few of them.

I suppose a lot of people from this culture have problems with his beliefs.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised Star Trek didn't get a nod.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.