FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I just recieved Deathly Hallows (edit: false alarm) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I just recieved Deathly Hallows (edit: false alarm)
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
*resists*

*barely*

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...not into that whole resisting thing.

TL, email sent.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Also for the record, I just want to stress again I don't know if this is the real deal.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
When the book comes out can you tell us if it is the same? I'm curious now.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
We know TL- we just don't care. (At least I know, and I don't care.)
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Has this worked for anyone other than TL?

Yeah, I've got it. It sure looks legit to me.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we please not post spoilers in this thread? I'm interested in following this to find out if its a hoax or not (some friends of mine are interested) but I don't want to know what happens. I was scrolling to the bottom and read something I don't think I wanted to know.

Maybe a separate thread, please.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
Can we please not post spoilers in this thread? I'm interested in following this to find out if its a hoax or not (some friends of mine are interested) but I don't want to know what happens. I was scrolling to the bottom and read something I don't think I wanted to know.

Maybe a separate thread, please.

Yeah, I didn't like that too much either, as I'm kind of locked into this thread now.

*glares at Gaal*

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. I thought he was kidding. Like, you know, making something up for the heck of it. Humour value.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

I hope so. I didn't go back to re-read it because I was too busy trying to get my heart started again. haha.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I was asking if this is the same one as the hacker that claimed to have hacked into JK Rowling's account that was talked about on page 2 of the Deathly Hallows theory thread. It was the one that was said to be a hoax.

Don't worry, nothing was spoiled, the spoilers I wrote were the ones that the hacker said were true, but he's a hoax. Sorry. [Embarrassed]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

Oh okay. Totally understandable. Thanks for letting us know!
TL
Member # 8124

Okay, hold on, this might be fake. Came across a link, here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10177423@N06/832535719/

Which also purports to have photos of the pages the actual book. This seems to portray an entirely different Chapter Three, which means: we have two separate books. Which one is real? They both may be fake.

Still looking for further info. (Both books seem to have the same Chapter One.)

rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
But...it looks so real...
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

I know it does, mate.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The illustration for chapter 3 in the link you provided is the same illustration that they have for chapter seven in the version floating around out there.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Does anyone have the inclination to compare the illustrations in the supposedly-leaked version we're all talking about against illustrations in previous Harry Potter books?
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you really think OSC would approve of using his site to pirate books?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Well, I think we've been careful not to use his site to pirate books. I think there has been some link-sharing, all off-site, and hopefully that's okay. I also think that we're all rather unclear on whether or not the links we've shared contain the actual book. And I also think that even if it does, all of us who have shared those links fully intend to (and in some cases already have) give JK Rowling and Scholastic our money. I know I have already paid for my copy.

I think what we're doing here, is using OSC's site to talk about a book. And yes, there is a gray area.

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice to more completely compare the two books (am I correct that one of them only has three images?) The titles of the chapters, inasmuch as I can compare them, don't coincide at all.

I am wondering if one of them is real and if there is any way to tell for sure. Certainly at least one isn't, but someone went through a lot for an elaborate hoax!

________

OK, thus far they share the first chapter text, title, and artwork, and the artwork of another chapter, though a different chapter number, title, and text. I think it is safe to say that the artwork is the real stuff, as well as the first chapter (or at least the first page of the first chapter.)

They appear to be put in the order that best suited the fanfic author (whether one or two fanfic authors). I am noticing comparing the chapter names that even though we can't see the all the artwork of the second one, there are chapter titles that can be assumed came from the same artwork. Example: "A Hero's Fall" and "Fallen Warrior".

Now, remember, I can only look at the full artwork of one of them. But so far, it seems to me that the chapter titles shown in the book with only 3 pages more closely ties in with the artwork. That, to me, would be the sign of a fake. The titles in the one I can see all of have surprisingly little to do with the chapter artwork.

So, if I were to hazard a guess as to which is more likely to be the real book, I'd say it's the one we can see all of.

[ July 17, 2007, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Well, it would be a lot easier to fake three images than several hundred, but that's no guarantee.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, Rowling might have arranged for the three image version to confuse people, make them less likely to want to read it. It could be set up quickly and easily and could go a long way to discouraging people from reading this one.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Well, it would be a lot easier to fake three images than several hundred, but that's no guarantee.

I'm still a little impressed that someone decided to write a fanfiction that was hundreds of pages long.

Edit:

By the way, I'm referring to some of the other fakes that have been circulating, some of which are quite huge for fan fiction. I haven't seen the one TL is talking about yet.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
I'm still a little impressed that someone decided to write a fanfiction that was hundreds of pages long.

[Big Grin]

You clearly don't read nearly enough fanfic. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest red flag for this supposed "leaked page" for me is the chapter title. After six books of avoiding overt religious references beyond the singing of Christmas carols...why would Rowling quote the most famous line from the Book of Ruth?

Nah, this doesn't seem real. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
The biggest red flag for this supposed "leaked page" for me is the chapter title. After six books of avoiding overt religious references beyond the singing of Christmas carols...why would Rowling quote the most famous line from the Book of Ruth?

That was precisely my reaction.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

In the other version -- the version containing an entire book -- Chapter Three is "The Dursleys Departing". I'm halfway through the book. It's a well-written book. If it's fake I'll eat a hat and post pictures. Of myself. Eating a hat.
Judas
Member # 7355

- posted      Profile for Judas   Email Judas         Edit/Delete Post 
wait.. i'm confused.. do we have the real version or no?

Could someone please forward/send??

jackwiggin @ gmail. com

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:

[Big Grin]

You clearly don't read nearly enough fanfic. [Wink]

Yeah. I've read longer.

And an entire two seasons of Lois and Clark. [Big Grin] Which were very well done, thanks rivka for pointing them out. [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Judas, I seriously doubt anyone will know whether it's real or not until it comes out in print and that print version can be compared to it.

Also, if you read a little further up the page, he says to email him - he won't respond to requests from the thread itself.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judas
Member # 7355

- posted      Profile for Judas   Email Judas         Edit/Delete Post 
I caught that.. after I calmed down from my excitement, that is.

I hope this book is as dark as it could be..

..judas

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

The link I had is no more. Good luck with other sources. Check the usual places.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TL:
The word "scar" begins the second-to-last sentence. The leak is 759 pages. It consists of photographs of someone holding open every page so the book can be read. Looks real. Could be a hoax, but this would be a heck of a hoax.

I'm trying to think of a sentence -- any sentence -- that could reasonably begin with the word "scar". And I'm coming up blank (other than quotes from Heinlein's Glory Road, anyway).
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got the file through some torrent download.

All the images together is around 70 or so MB.

This is the real thing, I have no doubt.

The story is too well crafted to be put together by some fan. Anyone with this writing capability wouldn't be spending their time creating such an elaborate hoax.
It appears that some female got their hands on the book, found a secluded location, put the book on the floor and splashed through it with a camera with the pages, from time to time, not being very well opened.

Interested parties should google things like 'DH leak' if they want to find torrents and pdf files. I found at least three different sources just clicking around. One with the full book and the others separated in chunks, usually going from beginning to 490-ish, and the other chunk from there to the end.

I will not post any spoilers, but I would consider sending out an email with small passages that reveal nothing- yet are very intriguing and will make you die with curiousity..

email me if interested or if you have any questions.

PLUS : I didn't copy the links. So don't bother askin.

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Will the REAL version of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pleas stand up?

Saturday at 12:01 guys....we've got a little over 3_1/2 days. Then there's no guessing.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm downloading a pdf version of the book, I'm skipping out from work today to check on it once its done which should be in about an hour. I'll post whether its legitimate sometime in this thread soon.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

"some female"? And you're basing that on what, exactly?
Lisa
Member # 8384

So I'm downloading the one with the images. Luckily, I have a copy of CDisplay (which I use to read comics normally), so I'll be able to read it without it being a major pain.

Be interesting to see if it's the real deal. And since I paid for my copy already, I don't think there's any issue with my downloading it.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Subpeona issued to learn identity of the leaker .

So one version may very well be real.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TL:
If it's fake I'll eat a hat and post pictures. Of myself. Eating a hat.

*dips a hat in batter, begins fryin' it up.* [Big Grin]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Avert your eyes if you don't want to see the title of the first chapter on one of the supposed copies of the book...

Mugglenet put up the first couple of paragraphs of the one with the chapter heading "The Dark Lord Ascending." Is that the one you guys have downloaded? The indication was that the faker did a really good job if it was a fake, because they had pictures of the book and all the chapter headings, complete with artwork.

Muggle net has been ripping it apart and over-analyzing it. There is a punctuation error in the first paragraph which led many to think it's a fake -- but if they read the same copy of book 6 that I did then they should know to expect lots of typos and errors. I imagine they put this book out too quickly as well, without a proper copy edit.

Don't know...only read the bit they had on muggle net and don't want to read more whether it's a fake or real.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen anything, but I've heard there's a complete version of the book in photo form running around.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Subpeona issued to learn identity of the leaker.
Apparently, the Bush administration is citing executive privilege in saying that they don't have to give him or her up. However, sources say that Karl Rove, who is a hardcore Potter fan, has recently become inconsolably sad and appears to haven gotten a tattoo reading "R.I.P. -- HP" on his arm.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Christine -- the paragraph or so on mugglenet matches the full book that is available for download.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
quote:
Subpeona issued to learn identity of the leaker.
Apparently, the Bush administration is citing executive privilege in saying that they don't have to give him or her up. However, sources say that Karl Rove, who is a hardcore Potter fan, has recently become inconsolably sad and appears to haven gotten a tattoo reading "R.I.P. -- HP" on his arm.
[ROFL]
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.. I guess it's actually a guy.. the skin looked so smooth I thought it was a females, but the nails aren't taken care of very well.. that and there's an empty soda can knocked over in the pictures. -
The book ends on 759.
So far i'm in chapter eight and still impressed with this book. - I'd eat TL's hat, chop off my left leg and pull out my wisdom teeth with a fork without using numbing treatments if this isn't the real book.

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I'm on chapter six already, and I'm 95% convinced that this is the real thing. I'll be shocked if it isn't.

So far, there've been about two pages which were too blurry to read. So caveat reader.

Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Pepek:
Okay.. I guess it's actually a guy.. the skin looked so smooth I thought it was a females, but the nails aren't taken care of very well.. that and there's an empty soda can knocked over in the pictures. -
The book ends on 759.
So far i'm in chapter eight and still impressed with this book. - I'd eat TL's hat, chop off my left leg and pull out my wisdom teeth with a fork without using numbing treatments if this isn't the real book.

Wow...you'd better be right because I'm going to hold you to that! [Smile]

Please, those of you reading this potentially valid copy of the book -- NO SPOILERS!! I caught the first paragraph on mugglenet and admittedly, I found it convincing...but I don't want to know (or think I know) any more than that. Even the punctuation error helped convince me. [Smile] It also has the feel of the other books' openings and began in a way that I would have expected. I won't say anymore than that because I'm not doing spoilers, either...but you can go to www.mugglenet.com and highlight it to see if you're interested.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one bothered by the passing around of the leaked copy?

I mean, it's not just illegal, it's against the very emphastic wishes of the author. And, it's not like she's holding up the release to rake in more cash or pulling a Wheel of Time thing. She's been, as far as I can tell, very good to fans and also delivered an extremely good (so far) 7 volume series.

I don't know. To me, reading the book 3 days before it comes out isn't worth either participating in illegal activies or especially disrespecting the author like this.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know. To me, reading the book 3 days before it comes out isn't worth either participating in illegal activies or especially disrespecting the author like this.
I've never heard Rowling comment on reading leaked copies of her book, by people who have preordered or are still going to buy the book come release date. I hesitate to ask it, but do you have some sort of link where Rowling's opinions on the matter are laid out?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.