FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HIPAA - Is It Worth It? Not for Me. (Happy Resolution) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: HIPAA - Is It Worth It? Not for Me. (Happy Resolution)
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Aerin has been scheduled for an MRI in preparation for her upcoming surgery. Since she's so young, she'll be sedated. Because of HIPAA, there are now 2 recovery rooms at the hospital. One is a regular recovery room and one is a step-down recovery room. Family members are not allowed in the first recovery room to protect patients' privacy. This is the room where the patients wake up. They are transferred when they are alert.

So my poor little baby has to wake up from anesthesia, scared, woozy, and in pain, without her mother. I'm so sad and furious and just beside myself. I would gladly trade away all of my privacy rights to spare Aerin the additional fear and pain of waking up without me. She should not have to go through that - she's going to suffer enough. I have calls in to my surgeon, pediatrician, and the anesthesiologist to see if an exception can be made somehow (maybe they'll take her straight to step-down). The nurses were as nice as could be and very sympathetic, so I think there's a good chance.

It makes me sick to think of all the children who have to wake up without their parents after they've already been through an ordeal. Is protecting patient privacy worth this? Not to me. Not today.

[ August 03, 2007, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Mrs.M ]

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
would gladly trade away all of my privacy rights to spare Aerin the additional fear and pain of waking up without me.
But the question is, would you really give up all of your daughter's medical privacy rights just so she doesn't have to wake up without you in this one instance?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Note the username: that's Tres's devil's advocate face.

I hope you find a resolution - it's essential that you be there when your baby wakes up.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
would you really give up all of your daughter's medical privacy rights just so she doesn't have to wake up without you in this one instance?
Absolutely. And my husband's and my mother's and anyone else's if it would let me ease her pain and fear.

And since this is the same hospital, it will likely be the same situation with her surgery.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Both times I've been under general anesthesia I've been way too out of it when I've come to to really be aware of who was and wasn't around me, if that's any consolation.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here...but then, I was a teenager, not a baby. I bet they'll make an exception in your case, Mrs. M. I think they should make a policy where mothers can be in the first recovery room if the child is under a certain age!
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, that's the same for me, but Mrs.M says patients are transferred "when they are alert," which means there will be some time when Aerin could benefit from her mother's presence but won't be able to.

I doubt it's actually a choice between HIPAA and the ability for babies to wake up with their mothers so much as a choice between this particular way of complying with HIPAA and the ability for babies to wake up with their mothers. Which isn't very comforting in this situation, but means it's likely that they can do something about it if they choose to do so.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a sad misinterpretation of HIPAA, to me; I think that parents should have the right to be with minor children evey step of the way that's not in a sterile environment (and you might look into that; there may be a way they can put her in a private room or something.)

But I have to say that I am glad that my children's medical records are private, so when DCFS decides to snoop into them, the doctor and clinic and hospital refuse to give them up without a court order.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
If hospitals were really serious about patient privacy, then they would not keep medical charts still out in the hallways where any passerby could take one and read it, and they would not still have semi-private rooms. Unless it's changed since I was last admitted - but I kinda doubt it.

So, they instead enforce silly rules like this one but don't make a change on something so blatantly obvious as actually ensuring patients have private rooms because that will hit them on the bottom line.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(And I know it won't give you any comfort to know that you are right, but when I came out of anesthesia I WAS aware of who was there, and that my mom was holding my hand. I was 12. I think it would be beneficial for both of you for you to be there.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

quote:
Absolutely. And my husband's and my mother's and anyone else's if it would let me ease her pain and fear.
What if it would ease her pain and fear right now, but would cause her far greater pain and fear later in life?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Maybe this isn't the best time to engage in a philosophical interrogation of a mother who's upset about not being able to be with her baby after surgery.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Maybe this isn't the best time to engage in a philosophical interrogation of a mother who's upset about not being able to be with her baby after surgery.

This man speaks the truth.

I pray that if ulimately you are not allowed to be with your daughter, that she will come to with her wits about her and her bravery intact.

I was extremely loopy when I came out of general anesthesia, I took on the characteristics of a broken record and kept asking my mother "Why wasn't the surgery done?" She assured me it had been and almost immedietly I fell asleep again. I did that 3 times before I was deemed alert enought to be taken home.

I probably slept another 4-5 hours after being taken home.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry...that seems wrong. Poor little Aerin.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember a time when Tres picked a "good" time to engage in philosophical interrogation.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

Hmmm... neither can I, for that matter.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
This makes me sick. This was not how HIPAA was supposed to be. It was meant to protect private information from nosy people who have no right to it, not to keep a mother from her toddler post-surgery. I am really angry about this. I hope you fight them on this. Personally, I'd threaten to contact a lawyer (or actually do it) and see if this isn't really poor interpretation of the act. Have they forgotten about your daughter's other rights? Doesn't she have the right to be with her mother as soon as possible after the surgery is over?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Mrs. M's husband a lawyer?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dood, it's a child. A toddler. Aren't the parents already aware of the child's medical issues?
I say push them to let you have the right to be with your baby when she wakes up.
There should be exceptions to these sort of rules.

quote:
What if it would ease her pain and fear right now, but would cause her far greater pain and fear later in life?
I doubt this would be the case.
The opposite would be true.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Synthesia, they're almost certainly worried about the privacy of other patients in the room.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, that makes sense...
But a child shouldn't wake up alone after surgery though...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I totally agree.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
She wouldn't wake up alone. She'd wake up with nurses instead of her mother.

Still not good, but the way you phrased it makes it sound much worse than it is.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I know babies for whom that would be worse - they handle being alone better than being near strangers. So it's better than a baby with no one to care for her, but it's not comforting to the baby, which is what MrsM is worried about.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah. My kids would FREAK OUT if a parent was not in the room when they woke up from surgery.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
This was not the case when my daughter had surgery a couple months or so ago. I mean, I didn't see her until she was in the step-down room, not the recovery room, but she was still asleep when she got to the step-down room. (And she also awoke asking why the surgery had not been done yet!) She was not alert for a good-sized while after she was brought to me.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This makes me sick. This was not how HIPAA was supposed to be. It was meant to protect private information from nosy people who have no right to it,
It's even worse than that. The "LAW" was written to prevent an employeer from using medical information when making an employment decision. All the rest of the mess is the bureaucratic "interpretation" of the law. The cost of compliance is phenomenal and as it is unfunded, represents a tax on everyone of us.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(And she also awoke asking why the surgery had not been done yet!)
Glad to see its a trend of some sort and not solely a result of my wiring.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
This has always been the policy in all hospitals I have worked (or been cared for as a patient) in, even before HIPAA came into being. That includes my open heart surgery as a child -- only medical professionals were permitted in the immediate recovery room, with parents in the step-down room. I believe this was because many things need to be done in immediate recovery which are often upsetting to non-professionals (removal of various tubes, etc.) and there is more of a potential for emergent cardiac resuscitation, etc.

I know it seems like parents should be there even through that, if you love your child, but many many people react in unexpected ways and make it difficult to access and care for all the patients. I think this was what has driven hospital policy where I worked prior to HIPAA.

I wonder if it has just become easier to blame it on "federal law" than on "hospital policy"?

Regardless, you and Aerin will be in my thoughts, Mrs. M. I hope she does well and that it is over quickly for all of you.

---

Edited to add: It seems to be rare to remember anything of substance from immediate recovery. The patients are still usually very groggy by the time they get to stepdown. I remember two things: one was having my feet hurt where they were flat on the bed, and I pointed to them; the other was taking a gasp after they pulled out the breathing tube. Both of these memories are for less than two seconds or so.

[For context: I have been under general anesthesia for 6 procedures in my life, but two were only cardiac catheterizations. The others were actual surgeries.]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I work with HIPAA restrictions quite a bit. My advice on this is to argue it with them. As others have said, the letter of the law is not anywhere nearly as restrictive as what many in health care interpret it to be. That's because they all live in fear of the dreaded "fines and penalties." But, HIPAA is not a reason for them to set up situations where a minor child is not accessible to her parents.

There may be medical or liability reasons, but those can be either understood or argued on their own merits.

What I find is a lot of institutions and government agencies hiding their restrictions under a blanket known as HIPAA so they don't have to explain them or have them make logical sense to the people involved. "Sorry, it's a Federal offense if we do x."

Well...no, often it isn't

I don't really know why they would exclude parents from the 1st stage of recovery. I can guess at reasons, some of them actually pretty reasonable from a hospital's perspective. But ultimately, I don't think HIPAA has any bearing on this policy, despite what they're telling you.

You might want to get a copy of the law from the Federal Register. It's an interesting read in spots, but mostly very boring.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I did part of my chaplaincy internship in a children's hospital (pre-
HIPAA). That hospital had recently changed their policy to allow parents to be with their children immediately following surgery, in the ER trauma rooms, and during attempted resuscitations. The only rule was that someone from the hospital but not part of the medical team needed to be with the parent if it was a "code" situation in case they needed assistence. Generally that would be the chaplain or a social worker.

This was considered quite a progressive policy -- my understanding was that it was more usual for parents to be removed from the room during any "scary" stuff.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, hospitals like to do that-- the first hospital I delivered a baby at (Presbyterian of Dallas) even made my husband leave the room while I had my epidural put in. (Despite promising me that he could be there through the whole thing, and would never have to leave me.)

I was not a happy camper. (The hospital I delivered my second at just had a policy that husbands must be sitting in a chair if they remained in the room, in case they fainted.)

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen: I insisted that my husband leave the room during the administration of my epidural during my first labor - and he didn't. Then when the anaethesiologist (sp?) hit a nerve and I screamed, it was his own fault he was there. I tried to warn him.

It's odd to me that one hospital insists that no nonmedical personnel be present in the recovery room so that other patients' privacy is not compromised, while another hospital (the one in our area) has no problem with me accompanying my husband into the presurgery waiting room where I could see other patients waiting for surgery, and their relatives could see my husband and me. I've also accompanied my husband and each of my children, as well as my mom (twice) in the ER and seen other patients and overheard what was being discussed in those cases.

Mrs. M: It seems to me that it would be common sense to let you be with Aerin after she wakes up from her MRI for her comfort.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
This has always been the policy in all hospitals I have worked (or been cared for as a patient) in, even before HIPAA came into being. That includes my open heart surgery as a child -- only medical professionals were permitted in the immediate recovery room, with parents in the step-down room. I believe this was because many things need to be done in immediate recovery which are often upsetting to non-professionals (removal of various tubes, etc.) and there is more of a potential for emergent cardiac resuscitation, etc.

It certainly was the case when I had my appendix out, and that was over 20 years ago. Then again, I don't really remember much of either room, although I do have a vague memory of wanting my mother, and then she was there. (I think it is far more likely that I had been moved than she had, although that's not how it seemed to fuzzy me at the time.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

See, my mom was a nurse who worked for Kaiser (where I was having my procedure done.) They were going to let her be in the operating room, too, but they didn't get her the correct form and at the last minute she was not allowed.

So maybe that's why it was different for me. But I do remember being in one recovery room, and my mom standing behind the nurses who were checking my vitals (they were probably getting ready to move me), then the next time I opened my eyes, I thought it had only been a few seconds, but two hours had passed and I was in a different room-- then I closed my eyes just for a second and the next time I opened them ANOTHER two hours had passed.

But I'll agree, I was only conscious for about half a second of being in the first room, and I only have one memory from when I was Aerin's age-- so I doubt she would remember that split second for long.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
This has always been the policy in all hospitals I have worked (or been cared for as a patient) in, even before HIPAA came into being. That includes my open heart surgery as a child -- only medical professionals were permitted in the immediate recovery room, with parents in the step-down room.
This has been the policy at both the surgeries I've had and the ones I've waited for others at, but in all 4 cases the patient was in the step-down room (assuming that's the room people are allowed to be in) well before alertness.

Does that vary from hospital to hospital?

JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Yeah, hospitals like to do that-- the first hospital I delivered a baby at (Presbyterian of Dallas) even made my husband leave the room while I had my epidural put in. (Despite promising me that he could be there through the whole thing, and would never have to leave me.)

I was not a happy camper. (The hospital I delivered my second at just had a policy that husbands must be sitting in a chair if they remained in the room, in case they fainted.)

Yeah, I can see why they'd need that policy. [Wink] Hubby was holding me up while they put the epidural in, and he saw a tube with a drop of blood on the end of it, and told the nurse: "You'll have to hold her!" and just barely made it to a chair. After that I sent him out of the room when I had epidurals, and let my mom help me. She's tough.

Hubby's great in every other way, but he's not good with blood.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
... in all 4 cases the patient was in the step-down room (assuming that's the room people are allowed to be in) well before alertness.

Does that vary from hospital to hospital?

I think there may a difference between medical and non-medical persons' use of the word "alert," as well.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
The "LAW" was written to prevent an employeer from using medical information when making an employment decision. All the rest of the mess is the bureaucratic "interpretation" of the law.

There is actually much more to the Act itself than this. I'm not sure if this is the time and place to go into it, though.
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read ALL of it, but from everything I can gather, it was meant to protect private medical information. Not to keep parents from knowing about their child's medical condition or being able to be with them if they're not awake.

I'm of the camp that believes there may be other legitimate reasons for them to not want non-medical people in that first recovery room, but it's not prohibited by HIPAA. It may be just easier for them to blame it on "gov't regulations".

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Aerin has been scheduled for an MRI in preparation for her upcoming surgery. Since she's so young, she'll be sedated. Because of HIPAA, there are now 2 recovery rooms at the hospital. One is a regular recovery room and one is a step-down recovery room. Family members are not allowed in the first recovery room to protect patients' privacy. This is the room where the patients wake up. They are transferred when they are alert.

This policy almost killed a friend of ours. She has post-polio syndrome and uses a ventilator at night - she will suffocate in her sleep without it.

She went into a local hospital for some surgery. In the recovery room - against the orders the attending physician allegedly left - our friend was disconnected from the vent because she was "coming out" of anesthesia. Breathing while reclining is difficult. She can't move her arms much and she was unable to speak.

So she spent a lot of time in that bed, struggling for air, knowing if she lost consciousness she'd never wake up. Finally, she got *someone's* attention who seemed to be on the ball.

I expect that if she has to go in for surgery again, she'll *demand* a family member be present in the recovery room, considering what happened last time.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs M:

Good luck to you and your daughter.

All:

This is what I like about Hatrack.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Jenna, that's funny.

My husband was a vet tech for 7 years, he used to assist in surgery and all kinds of things. A big needle doesn't scare him.

I was in too much pain (being on 12 units of pitocin at the time) to argue with them. (Much.)

He tried but he tends to be pretty non-confrontational. (After it was all there we had a talk about how he was there to be my advocate since I couldn't do it myself, and what I would like to happen if the situation ever arises again.)

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I think there may a difference between medical and non-medical persons' use of the word "alert," as well.
Very possible.

Artemisia, there's much, much, much more to HIPAA than that. There's even much more to just the portion of HIPAA that covers privacy.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, are you still checking your PMs over at Sakeriver?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M, I wish Aerin and your family the best with her MRI and surgery. I hope you're able to find a way to be with her when she wakes up.

I found this thread very interesting, and now I've got some good things to keep in mind if I ever undergo surgery.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M, I am wishing the very best for Aerin throughout her MRI and her surgery.

I hope they do allow you to be with her as she wakes up. She is a tough little girl, and I am sure she will do fine, but nothing compares to having a loved one be there when you wake up from something like that.

Is it possible that a nurse that Aerin is very familiar with can be there when she wakes up if they end up not letting you be there? It isn't much of a solution, but perhaps it would ease some anxieties.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs.M continue pushing to be with your child. We have never been denied being by Stephen's side after any sedation or surgery since he was born. Different hospitals have different policies. Does your doc work with a different hospital that will allow you to be there?

Prayers for you and your family.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
CT, are you still checking your PMs over at Sakeriver?

I haven't checked in over there in some time. Did you need to reach me about something?

---

Edited to add: email sent

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the camp that says keep pushing, of course, but if it turns out that you can't be there, don't let it get to you so much that you pass along unneeded anxiety to Aerin. More than likely, she will remember nothing of the first recovery room - heck, after my major surgery when I diagnosed with cancer I lost two whole days.

Aerin knows her Mom and Dad love her, and will be there for her. A few minutes in a recovery room without them won't affect that.

If it makes you feel any better, my oldest two both had to have tubes in their ears for chronic ear infections. They were carried away from me by a nurse while I stayed in a waiting area, put to sleep, the procedure done, then brought back to me by the same nurse. They were both awake when the nurse brought them back, but neither was crying or upset. Rather, they were groggily looking around, and slipping in and out of consciousness. I'm certain they had no memory of waking without me.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.