FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone play 'YuGiOh!' ?

Author Topic: Anyone play 'YuGiOh!' ?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from a willingness to play online (theres the equivilent of Magic Work Station for YGO) I'm looking for a card that can bring back cards removed from play back onto field/hand/deck. Any idea's? I'll try google after I post this.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
O_O
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
"Look, you're really cute, but I can't understand what you're saying. Say the first thing again."
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Either that, or the Janitor was using a scented bowl.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I'm not into Pokemon.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
When you say "removed from play," what do you mean? Several cards bring cards back from the graveyard -- Monster Reborn, Backup Soldier and Magician of Faith spring immediately to mind -- but none bring cards back that have been removed from play. (In fact, Soul Release, which takes five cards of your choice from someone's graveyard and puts them out of play, is an explicit counter to Magician of Faith.)
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else think of Hook whenever they see the word/phrase "Yu-Gi-Oh?"

Ruf-i-OOOOOOOOOH!!!

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll try google after I post this.
:|

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:

[Big Grin]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Pokemon was so 8 years ago.

By removed from play I meant removed from the game, luckily the Virtual Desktop program I found had a nifty search feature that allowed me to search descriptions.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately for you, you have yet to realize that Magic: The Gathering is the best game of that genre you will ever play.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
xkcd is indeed the awesomeness,

And BB is not aware of said item, rendering his opinions and thoughts null and void.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Magic is indeed pretty good and I have a red/black dragon reanimator deck in it, as I love Dragons, however YuGiOh is a nice break from Magic's inherent complexities. YuGiOh and Magic are so inherently different from each other that they are both fun to play inter changeably. And besides I like the TV show(s).
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RunningBear:
xkcd is indeed the awesomeness,

And BB is not aware of said item, rendering his opinions and thoughts null and void.

xkcd or yu hi oh? I am WELL aware of the former and am a big fan, I am hostile and filled with unrestrained rancor at the later.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play, back when I was pulling packs to make money on eBay. Can't remember a darn thing about it, though.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there is a card that does that... at least not one I ever saw, y'see... It would seem rather silly to make a card that takes cards that have been removed from play and brings them back in play. Then again, I haven't played in years.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
When you say "removed from play," what do you mean? Several cards bring cards back from the graveyard -- Monster Reborn, Backup Soldier and Magician of Faith spring immediately to mind -- but none bring cards back that have been removed from play. (In fact, Soul Release, which takes five cards of your choice from someone's graveyard and puts them out of play, is an explicit counter to Magician of Faith.)

Honestly, Tom. Are you an expert on every subject known to man?
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
then did you merely ignore the reference???

and fascination with yoo gee ho maintains the second portion as fact.

SMILE!

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
Does anyone else think of Hook whenever they see the word/phrase "Yu-Gi-Oh?"

Ruf-i-OOOOOOOOOH!!!

YES! I totally thought of Hook. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Yu-Gi-Oh is possibly the dumbest crap I have ever ever known.

It is the providence of neckbeards who don't mind being seen with second rate card games more associated with twelve year olds who still probably wear DBZ t-shirts.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
Honestly, Tom. Are you an expert on every subject known to man?

Oh, man. His ego wasn't big enough before? [Wink]

But when it comes to gaming- and computer-related things, the answer is probably yes.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
[stuff about Yu-Gi-Oh rules]

While you're here, I have a tangential question: how is Yu-Gi-Oh? I like Magic and love Netrunner; Vampire intrigued me but I never played it. I'm looking for a card game to play on my DS, and apparently the DS version of Yu-Gi-Oh is a fairly faithful electronic representation of the game (without the need for additional funds to collect cards, of course)... but I know very little about the game beyond having seen a few episodes of the show.

The show made the mechanics seem extremely simplistic and it didn't seem like there was much strategy to the gameplay or to deckbuilding. Is there any depth to it? If not, I suppose I'll have to look into the Prince of Persia and Capcom vs. SNK card fighters on the DS.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually played this card game for a little while with Jim, and we had a very good time with it. There's more strategy to the game that the show displays, I think (I've seen an episode or two, but didn't care for it). Though I never got into Magic, I would say it's not as complex as Magic, as it does seemed to be geared toward a slightly younger age group.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by RunningBear:
then did you merely ignore the reference???

and fascination with yoo gee ho maintains the second portion as fact.

SMILE!

I'm gonna go with, "Completely missed the reference and still cannot see it."
Icarus
Member # 3162

RB, are you mixing up BlackBlade and Blayne Bradley?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yu-Gi-Oh is slightly more complex than Pokemon, and consequently like a very simplified Magic. Both Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh use ridiculously inflated numbers when they don't need to, and combos are usually pretty obvious, but they're okay for kids' games.

My favorite CCG is still Vampire -- but it's hard to find players who've purchased enough of the cards to be a serious threat.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I've never played Pokemon, but that still gives me a good idea. I think I'll pass on YGO DS; I like a little more tactical complexity in my CCGs.

I solve your Vampire problem in two ways: with Netrunner, I just let whoever I'm playing with use my cards (I have enough to make three or four passable decks); with Magic, I almost always play in a Limited environment, so everyone gets a random assortment of cards.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

It is the providence of neckbeards who don't mind being seen with second rate card games more associated with twelve year olds who still probably wear DBZ t-shirts.

[Roll Eyes]

And your reasoning for this is....? Were you playing Pokemon or something as a kid and the 'bigger kids' made fun of you for it forever tarnishing your inner child? For shame for shame!

YuGiOh is meant for a younger audience but whoever was in charge of translating the game screwed up both the rarity system, the card translations, etc making the game seem simpler or less gritty then it actually is.

I love the card game as a very fun game to play and I pretty much got my perfect Konigsdragon deck made, I might dole out the money to adjust it for advanced rules, (where pretty much every "stable" card that was a 'must have' (reikeki, monster reborn, etc) where banned in advanced tournament play). I'm a casual player of the game I like to play but I'm just not into tournament play really anymore.

As for magic I just don't have the income to update my deck every year to maintain type 2-ness. I play with my deck semi type one with the spirit of type 2.

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
As for magic I just don't have the income to update my deck every year to maintain type 2-ness. I play with my deck semi type one with the spirit of type 2.
This is what the Extended and Legacy formats for, in part. [Smile]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I almost posted the same thing, but I wasn't sure I was prepared to handle that much irony.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Irony is good for you. I actually take a supplement.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
link
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've spent the last few years building up an immunity to irony.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I love xkcd. Here's the comic that was being referenced, for those who haven't seen it or just need a refresher.

link

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slim
Member # 2334

- posted      Profile for Slim   Email Slim         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a deck devoted to removing stuff from play. (P.S. I haven't posted here forever, but my sister told me about this topic.)

Return From the Different Dimension I don't use this one because of it's high cost and limited effect, but I hear it's popular. I prefer Dimension Fusion If you have the Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning, you can use Primal Seed It's been a hard combo to make for me, though. Dimension Distortion works good if you don't have a graveyard. Easier cards to use is Miricle Dig and D.D.M. - The Different Dimension Master Of the above, I've used Dimension Fusion and D.D.M. successfully the most.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

thanks slim, I liked Return/Dimension fusion with regards to my XYZ Dragon Cannon. I'm trying to create a cambo where ill remove all my big baddies from the graveyard from the game and bring them back at just the right moment to insta win the game.

Like when Kaiba beat the crap of Shroeder.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

[Roll Eyes]

And your reasoning for this is....? Were you playing Pokemon or something as a kid and the 'bigger kids' made fun of you for it forever tarnishing your inner child? For shame for shame!

YuGiOh is meant for a younger audience but whoever was in charge of translating the game screwed up both the rarity system, the card translations, etc making the game seem simpler or less gritty then it actually is.

I love the card game as a very fun game to play and I pretty much got my perfect Konigsdragon deck made, I might dole out the money to adjust it for advanced rules, (where pretty much every "stable" card that was a 'must have' (reikeki, monster reborn, etc) where banned in advanced tournament play). I'm a casual player of the game I like to play but I'm just not into tournament play really anymore.

Sorry to butt in with the meta-conversation, but Blayne, you deserve a "Right On!" for this post (and the most recent one). The improvement and clarity of your posts here are noted and appreciated.

I only played Magic from Revised (3rd edition?) to Ice Age.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.