FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kidnapped BBC reporter Alan Johnston freed after 4 months

Author Topic: Kidnapped BBC reporter Alan Johnston freed after 4 months
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070704/ap_on_re_mi_ea/palestinians_kidnapped_journalist

quote:
British reporter Alan Johnston, looking gaunt and walking stiffly, was released Wednesday after nearly four months in captivity in the Gaza Strip, saying it was "fantastic" to be free after an "appalling" ordeal in which his life was threatened.

The British Broadcasting Corp. correspondent was freed under murky terms after the Hamas militant group that controls Gaza stepped up the pressure on his captors, a shadowy group called the Army of Islam.

At a news conference with Hamas officials, Johnston — who was held in captivity far longer than any other foreign reporter in Gaza — described his experience as "occasionally terrifying."

I'm of two minds about this. I'm very happy he's been released of course, it's great news. I'm just very suspect of Hamas's reasons for pushing for it. Does this act do anything to make up for the fact that one of their basic tenets is the destruction of another nation and group of people? I don't think so.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I really didn't think he'd be released. It's fantastic he was.

I'm not sure about Hamas. (In that, no, I don't think it makes up for their view in regards to Israel. But I am not convinced that Hamas trying for legitimacy is a bad thing - perhaps it may even result in a alteration of their goals which would be accepted by their electors.)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really didn't think he'd be released. It's fantastic he was.
yeah, I had seriously given up on any likelihood of him living. I was shocked when I saw the news.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desu
Member # 5941

- posted      Profile for Desu           Edit/Delete Post 
"occasionally terrifying."

Well, I guess it wasn't all bad then.

From what I gathered he was treated decently whilst in captivity. That and the fact that his release comes without bloodshed to me suggests that there is something else going on...

Posts: 139 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't understand why they'd kidnapped him, and am thrilled to see him released.

I'm going to continue to leave the other stuff alone, though.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad he's been released.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
The best part was the Hamas assertion that they would not tolerate militias and extra-legal armed groups.

I called the irony police but they couldn't stop laughing.

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I am disappointed that I can't work in my Alan Freed's Johnson dobie.

[ July 05, 2007, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: orlox ]

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.