FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fantasy Football last call for 2008 players! Check last page! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Fantasy Football last call for 2008 players! Check last page!
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried....all I could find was the button to chage our status. I thought there would be an actual place to click :draft now", or a date I could change to today, but if there is I can't find it.

[Frown]

Keep your eyes peeled, though....the draft could happen at any time, if I read it right.

If anyone else knows anything about how to actually kick the draft off in Auto-Pick, I would be glad to hear it. [Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
From the site:

quote:
Once draft status is set to Ready, the results will be posted by the following day.
Sounds like we will be ok... [Smile]
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I found statements on the same site that said 1-2 days, and the info in the league itself says between now and the 9th. [Confused]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

yahoo!
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the site also says that we can draft as late as the 8th and still play week 1, which is weird.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

As commish I can retro the week 1 scores, but I think it will use the default starting rosters. It is better than nothing, but I wish I had processed this three days earlier to make sure. [Frown]

Oh well...live and learn. [Smile]

orlox
Member # 2392

We are drafted!

[The Wave]

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering I drafted far enough down to miss the top level backs, I LOVE my team.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
... I've never picked first before. I've never even had a top-level back.

Too bad I'll wind up blowing it anyway. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

So you are my first game, eh Carrie? (The Bombs?)

I am thrilled with my team. I expect Demarcus Ware to win me a couple of games on his own [Wink]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I should give up at this point....there really isn't any point to even playing ...

Then again, I do have Willie Parker and Reggie Bush. I have Romo as well, but I am not convinced he will continue to perform at the level he did before.

I ended up with the entire Patriot receiving corps, which sucks when they have a bye week.

Still, Stallworth, Welker and Moss are not bad choices overall, although they aren't top tier receivers. I got screwed on WR's, I guess.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in a fantasy football league (a Yahoo! one) this year. It's the first time I've ever done it so I didn't want to add another one and do the Hatrack one. Sadly, my home computer wasn't able to handle a live draft so I got a bunch of automatic picks (I only had the patience to rank the top 160 or so players).

I ended up with Frank Gore, Willie Parker and Antonio Gates. Which made me reasonably happy. But my QB's are Chad Pennington and Jay Cutler -- although we get 3 QBs in the league I'm in and my third is Jason Campbell so if Pennington gets replaced and/or Campbell blossoms, I might be in a decent position. And Yahoo! automatically drafted me a kicker in the 10th round -- and then drafted me another kicker and two defenses. Ugh.

Still. I'm excited about my first foray into fantasy sports.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I forgot I have not finished my pre-rankings as well. I would not have picked a kicker, even Mr. Wonderful, in the early rounds deliberately.

Welker wouldn't have gone so high either. [Smile]

Still...I have Isaaic Bruce as well, and I got him in the 17th round, so he was a bargain.

TheTick
Member # 2883

Yahoo does that to everyone in the auto draft - you HAVE to have a player at every position before it goes for depth picks...in a draft where everyone autopicks, it works fine. Not so much if you are the only one missing from a live draft, though. I've heard that if you exclude all kickers and defenses from your draft list you can get it to stack up on skill players but I didn't test it.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I was picking 8th, IIRC, so I really like the guys I got. I imagine Maroney will have another good year, and Westbrook (if healthy) should be his normal productive self. Nervous about the Eli effect on Plax, but solid WRs overall. Should be some great defensive contributors. I am ready to rock this.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I am cursed though...last year I had the #1 pick, and took Alexander, who didn't play for most of the season. I tied someone else in points for the last playoff spot, and I had beat him head to head so I thought I was in, but he beat me out on points...and Alexander had a good post season. [Frown]

This year I picked 10th.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

The way I figure it, I'm looking at a mediocre team -- unless my QBs do better than expected and Randy Moss has a great year.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Um...I have Randy Moss.
TheTick
Member # 2883

Zal's talking about a different league.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

It'd be great if all of fantasy football was condensed into tonight for me.

I'm in two leagues. I have Deuce McAllister on both teams. One team has Drew Brees, the other has Peyton Manning.

Given that the Colts are notroiously bad on run defense and the Saints are kinda rough on defense, period, I may have a pretty good night.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Yeah, sorry for the confusion there Kwea. I joined a different league before I knew there was this one.

---
Jim-Me: Somehow a dude in my league managed to get *both* Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. Next year, I'm either going to go with a non-live-draft league or make sure I can do the live draft.

Anyway. I have Miami's defense. Yahoo! is telling me I should pick up Philadelphia instead. Anybody willing to toss out some advice?

I'm not totally pathetic when it comes to football knowledge -- but my knowledge is more that of a casual but interested fan. That is, focused on individual players and a few teams that I follow.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Miami has a defense? Who knew? [Wink]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Miami has a very good defense. Philly has one as well, and one that is more geared to the big play.

I'd lean towards Philly in a fantasy league, myself.... but this is my first fantasy foray, so we'll see how much I know, I s'pose.

Is Oakland available? this is from Bill Simmons on ESPN:
quote:
Sleeper No. 7: The Oakland defense
They were a top-five defense last season (secretly) and now they have a real coaching staff and the following QBs on their schedule: Jon Kitna, Jay Cutler (twice), Charlie Frye/Derek Anderson, Trent Green, Damon Huard (twice), Vince Young, Matt Schaub, Rex Grossman. Tavaris Jackson, Brett Favre, Byron Leftwich[substitute David Garrard for this one]. That's a lot of potential turnovers, no? I just made your second-to-last round pick for you.

Kwea, when do I find out about my attempted Undrafted Free Agent acquisitions?
Kwea
Member # 2199

I will look now, but the game said on Sunday the 8th when I tried to get some as well. [Smile]

I changed the wavier time to 1 day for this week, as we got a late start, but it will be going back up to 2 days after this week.

Sound fair?

Kwea
Member # 2199

Also, since we were short teams, I probably should have chaged the team setups. We could have used two QB's, 4 WR, and 3 RB to make each pick count. As it stands now, I am not sure it did.

We have more talented players than chances to play this year.

Once again, live and learn. [Smile]

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in a 12 team league (I dropped out of this one, sorry guys but I hate having two teams) with friends for money and my RB duo is Larry Johnson and Joseph Addai. On the Big Board on Yahoo LJ is ranked 3 overrall and Addai 5 overrall. I think I may have the best RB duo in a money league out of any team in all of Yahoo. [Big Grin]

LJ dropped to 9 in my draft because we drafted when he didn't sign yet and nobody knew if he would play this year and people were scared to touch him. And Addai somehow managed to drop to 16 for my 2nd round pick. Major steal, IMO.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

especially after tonight-- 118 yds and a TD.

I'm a bit disappointed in Sean Payton's play calling... went away from the run too soon, leaving my Deuce with 10 carries and going one-dimensional putting an enormous pressure on Brees.

I expected Indy to win, but I thought Payton would call a smarter game than that.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I am not happy with Bush either. My kicker got more points than he did. [Frown]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

The good news (for me) is I have Peyton Manning on my other fantasy team...
Kwea
Member # 2199

That works....for you. [Smile]
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not too disappointed in my team to have been picking that low. Also, I absolutely hate auto-drafts, there is simply no way to accurately predict how things will go.

Anyway, I am a bit leary about the Defensive player stuff. I had forgot we were doing that, and I just imported my rankings from my other non-idp league. So the autodraft really sucked for me on Defense. I'm hoping my waiver wire stuff goes through to improve that a little bit.

Funny enough, I got the same 2 starting RB's in each league! Can't complain about that, helps to root for less players on the weekend.

Looking forward to beating you guys!

Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Yeah, I don't know what the heck Yahoo does with the IDP rankings...I got nailed by those last year, this year I was obsessive enough I went down the list and added a few to my rankings. I still ended up with Tony Beckham (?) as a backup.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Yahoo's defensive rankings had Steven Bowen (backup DE), Remi Ayodele (released DT), Jay Ratliff (backup DE) and Joey Thomas (released CB) all ranked ahead of Demarcus Ware.

That was about as silly as I've seen.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I had a good week, other than my RB's not running well. Parker ran well, but didn't score, and Bush was a disaster.

But Romo and Moss made up for it. [Smile]

TheTick
Member # 2883

Yes, I need a huge night from Carson Palmer (and Adrian Wilson) if I want to beat ya. Stupid Tony Romo. Should've started Lynch too, that was an awesome TD run he had.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Having Brees and McAllister both no-show was a pretty big blow. I think Frank Gore has to out-do Larry Fitzgerald and Neil Rackers by 20 points for me to win.

Unlikely.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Jim-Me: Yeah, Yahho's defensive rankings are all messed up. They kept suggesting I take Ty Law. Great corner and I almost pulled the trigger but then I realized that the last thing you want on a fantasy team is a shut-down corner. He's not going to earn any points if no one throws in his direction.

Week 1:

Jay Cutler came up big for me. I hope he's the real deal because he's my only hope at QB. I also had Moss -- amazing what he can do with an actual QB to throw to him (mutter, mutter Raiders mutter). Parker was solid. So was Javon Walker. Pennington was okay (even though he got cheered when he walked off the field injured). Antonio Gates was his usual solid self. The only mistake I made was having Fred Taylor in my 3rd RB/WR slot.

I'm in second place in my league and I still have Frank Gore to go.

Okay so I got lucky. But I'm beginning to think that this is less about "name" players and more about getting solid production up and down the roster.

<---fantasy football noobie

calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stop watching.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I was up against Minnesota's defense. Ouch. They had more points than Peyton Manning. Two picks returned for TDs. And held Atlanta to 3 points. They went nuts.

That combined with Reggie Brown and Chris Cooley doing absolutely nothing cost me the game by a small amount. [Grumble]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

The Civic Minded Five put up a tough fight, but ultimately we fell. Looks like a solid team though, so we should rebound for next week.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

No offense, but I hope you don't...

Yeah, it does look like a solid team, though.

TheTick
Member # 2883

I might have to rethink starting Marshawn Lynch. With the new WR toys in New England, Maroney may not see the field as much. Lynch, at least, is getting the call and shows the strength to drive through tacklers.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Same here with Peterson... I might have had a chance this week if I had played him.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I was would have been within striking distance of the leader in my league even though Frank Gore didn't have the best game -- but somehow the guy in the number one spot picked up 356 points from the Baltimore defense even though they lost the game and gave up 27 points. I think it was the blocked kick, turnovers and that our Yahoo! settings are set up to add return yardage to the defense. I only got 118 points out of the Miami defense.

Meanwhile my first rookie mistake: I didn't read all of the rules/settings so I didn't know that we are only allowed 50 moves. I've made 12 already so far -- had to get rid of quite a bit of baggage from the auto-draft.

Kwea
Member # 2199

That was a hell of a game, Tick! I really wish I had formatted this different...is everyone happy with the starting positions we have?

I really think this would have been better if we had started 2 QB's, 3 RB's and 4 WR's....with so few people playing this year we all have more talent than we can play, and I hate to see some fo the guys sitting out this week, both on my team and on others.

There is too much talent sitting out there unused, which makes making fixes easier, I guess, but if you can't play them then what is the point?

striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm totally against making changes to how many we can start. First, I just hate the idea of starting more than 1 QB, 2 RB, etc... Been playing that way for 10 years, wouldn't know what to do now. Second, it doesn't make sense to change after the season has started. It'd be like Week 1 didn't count.
Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Plus, I think it makes the management aspect more important... it's easy to decide who to start when you have diluted talent... not so much so when you know you have to leave a stud player on the bench... deciding *which* stud player becomes of paramount importance.

I think if I had started Peterson instead of McAllister (I'm doing the math in my head and half from memory) I would have won my game. I called it wrong, and I lost. And that is, IMO, how it should be.

orlox
Member # 2392

I don't know yahoo, because I hate it so, but most sites like ESPN don't allow roster position changes after the draft.

The best way to think about the roster positions is how deep into the NFL they take you.

For instance, 10 teams starting 2 qbs with 1 on the bench goes 30 qbs deep in the league. There are only 32 starting qbs so that is pretty much all of them.

In an autodraft it is near impossible to ensure that your 3 qbs don't have a bye conflict.

Not to mention the difficulties that injuries, game-time decisions and the Browns will present.

Also, the "don't drop list" then becomes a problem combined with roster maximums when a big name goes down, so IR roster slots become vital.

If people can't field a competitive team, can't fill all their roster slots even by following the rules, they become frustrated and often abandon the team to the whole league's detriment.

The only thing I would have done differently from the slots you already have, is that 3rd wr slot, which I would have made a wr/rb flex position. But I think what we have is fine. [Smile]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

ok... advice everyone

in my other league, I have Randy Moss, Lauvernius Coles, and Darrell Jackson as my primary WRs.

My backups are Bernard Berrian and Mushin Muhammad.

Grossman tends to run very hot or very cold. Pennington may be out, and they are playing Baltimore while Chicago is playing KC.

Do I start one of the Chi-town WRs in place of Coles? Whatdya think?

Kwea
Member # 2199

I don't know, that is a tough one. Coles is a darn good receiver, and will probably be the primary target for whoever is throwing the ball for the Jets.

I might sit him, based on the matchup.

Speaking about OUR league, there are some GREAT matchups this week. BB and Whipsmarts should be tough, and Vash and Civic...hell, ALL of them should be fairly close.

Should be a fun week!

I have some tough choices to make as well....I will keep my 2 best RB in this week, s the matchups seem to be in their favor, but I could possibly start all 3 of the Patriots WR....Moss, Stallworth, and Welker (who had a very good week while I sat him)...but that means sitting out Holmes, which I don't want to do. I also picked up Curry, Toomer, and MacDonald...all of whom would be good level 2-3 WR choices in any other league.

[Frown]

Stallworth had a bad week, but I don't want to repalce him because now that people realize Moss is back (at least for now) they will double team him, opeing up lanes for Stallworth, who is blazingly fast.

I probably will stand pat, but......

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.