FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fantasy Football last call for 2008 players! Check last page! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Fantasy Football last call for 2008 players! Check last page!
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
that is wise (realizing that Stalworth will get a lot of single coverage)... also curse you for stealing Holmes before I could get him.

I was shocked he went undrafted.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
So was I. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Talk about a close game so far.....if my on-the-fly fantasy math is right, Whipsmarts is leading me by between 1 and 2 points....

...but I still have a guy playing tomorrow night, and last week he had 12 solo tackles.

[Big Grin]

Great game so far though!

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I hate the Bengals defense. If they don't let CLEVELAND run rough shod over them, Carson Palmer probably isn't chunking 6 TDs... and with one less TD pass from Palmer, I win my match up. GRRR!

It would help if Brees decides to wake up and play footballnext week.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I've discovered that in the way our league counts points (and also because of some wacky, sloppy play yesterday), defense is the difference between those on top and those at the bottom. In fact, I'd be at the top of my league if Baltimore hadn't racked up 250 more points than Miami.

I'm trying to figure out if I should keep Miami and be safe and solidly in the middle or gamble and go for another team defense. Baltimore, of course, is already taken. My current strategy was to drop the defensive player in my bench (because they don't get you many points and my current players are pretty solid) and add SF's defense. That way I have a choice.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Talk about a close game so far.....if my on-the-fly fantasy math is right, Whipsmarts is leading me by between 1 and 2 points....

...but I still have a guy playing tomorrow night, and last week he had 12 solo tackles.

[Big Grin]

Great game so far though!

I must have missed return yardage or something, because my matchup wasn't even close let alone within 2 points. [Frown]

That's nothing for two weeks in a row from Stallworth and Bush.....

Superstars my A$$.

[ September 17, 2007, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

We are using IDP's, and they had a HUGE effect on my match up this week. I picked up some good people, but my defense was outscored by about 12 points or so.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

If Jay Cutler and Jason Campbell continue to perform, I may just have a chance to finish in the top 3 in my league. If not, I'm sunk.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for putting up the history Kwea, it was interesting. Last year only 2 players I drafted made it to my final roster!

Speaking of which, my WR1 has gone down. Anyone who wants a RB for a good WR send trade proposals!

Also, Vilma and Bullock are available for anyone needing defensive help.

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

That is one of the problems with the league as it is set up right now...I have a very, very deep team. [Smile]

Most of us do.

I doubt we will see a lot of trades. [Frown]

I am giving Stallworth 1 more week....he has the speed, and Brady has the arm, but there are only so many passes a game, and Stallworth is wasted on short routes. Moss is doing so well tha there just isn't enough left over for Stallworth....but double teaming Randy HAS to open up some room for Dante, doesn't it? [Dont Know]

[ September 18, 2007, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

orlox
Member # 2392

In week 1, Stallworth only saw the field as flanker when Moss wanted a breather. I think it was 9 plays he was one the field. In week 2, the stats say was on the field for about 40 snaps (stats from memory but fairly close). For the most part, it seemed to come when Randy lines up in the slot, Stallworth takes flanker.

I never noticed him lining up at split end, although I can't say for sure he didn't. Of course, the Pats will move everyone around looking for mismatches, and it is a long season. I would expect Stallworth is going to have some big games, the problem will be figuring out when.

However, if Moss gets hurt, it seems plain that Stallworth with be the flanker. Until then, I suspect that Welker will be the second most productive wr coming out of the slot.

It is worth noting, that only Moss saw more snaps than Stallworth last weekend so that may point to a more prominent role in the future.

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

Well, don't blame me if he does go off. He is going have some big weeks. But I think Welker is the more consistent weekly play. All I can tell you is my take. Many FF sites like rotonews are suggesting to drop Stallworth. I only have him on 1 or 2 teams but I am keeping him on the bench.

Like I say, if Moss gets hurt or if Stallworth starts playing at split end, he turns into gold. I would assume the Pats will want to move him there once they are confident he knows the flanker position well enough. But who knows with Bill: plans within plans.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Do I go with Chris Brown or Fred Taylor as my flex back?

Taylor is likely to get more touches, but Jacksonville is playing in Denver which has a decent defense and a semi-potent offense which could lead to the Jags getting behind early and thus not much rushing.

Brown has to share touches with Lendale White, but NO has not shown to have much of a defense this season.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Do I go with Chad Pennington (Jets play Buffalo) or Jason Campbell (Redskins play New England)?

Pennington has been shaky, but from a fantasy perspective, he's been doing (slightly) better than Campbell.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Pennington, IMO, simply because he isn't playing the Pats. [Smile]

I have been playing Welker, and it is working out well for me. [Smile]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Actually Denver has been very run-weak, Jones-Drew is more banged up than Taylor is. I'd go with Taylor (and am, in fact, in my other league).

I'd also go with Pennington, but I'm biased-- I have Lavernius Coles on both my teams and I'd want double action on his catches.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I tried to get Griese, because he is playing Det, but I missed him by 2 seconds. [Smile]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, guys. Can anyone point to a good site for learning about FF? I know it's too late but I've always been interested in it.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Pennington it is. Thanks for the help. I promise not to whine if you all have steered me wrong. [Wink]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
Hey, guys. Can anyone point to a good site for learning about FF? I know it's too late but I've always been interested in it.

What do you want to know? There's not a whole lot to it...
Kwea
Member # 2199

FF is pretty easy, at least in concept. In a league like ours, just for bragging rights, there isn't much to it.

You pick a roster of players at the beginning of the season. You don't get everyone you want, because other players have to pick as well, so the league is limited in number of possible teams.....although the limit varies from league to league.

The rules are fluid from league to league as well. There are a number of ways a player can score points for you each week, based on how the league is set up. Right we are using a pretty standard set up.....1 point for every passing yard, 1 point for every 10 running yards. Touchdowns are worth 6 points, field goals are worth differeing amounts of points depending how long of a kick is was....

You draft more players than play each week, so every week you have to make decisions about who to play. We are playing 1 QB, 3 WR's, 2 RB's.....different leagues set different rules for positions that play weekly as well. There is a lot of info about players and teams at all the major websites...NFL.com, ESPN.com, Yahoo.com....so you can check on injuries and team information. You can also pick up undrafted players or players who have been dropped by other team owners (waivers), and add them to your team during the season to cover bye weeks or injuries.

Each week you are paired off against another players fantasy team. Whoever gets the most points from their players performances wins. [Smile]

Any questions? Remember, the computer sites do all the math for you, so all you do is root for your players, and hope their good individual performances don't ruin your home teams winning percent.

I would rather have the Patriots win another Superbowl than win this FF league.

Of course, with Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Watson, Bruschi, Hobbs, and Harrison on my fantasy team, if one happens I have a good shot at the other. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[Evil]

[ November 01, 2007, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Kwea. I think your shot at the Superbowl is good, considering the crap they stomped out of the Cowboys. [Frown]

So, do you take turns choosing players, then?

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

How to play fantasy football:
http://www.kffl.com/article.php/12449/294

It's a few years old but still a good overview.

Kwea
Member # 2199

This has been one weird season for me. I am 6-4, but have scored the most points of any team. [Frown]

I think I have just lost again this week despite playing against someone who bowed out weeks ago, all because Moss had a weak week and Owens had 4 touchdowns.

Weird.

orlox
Member # 2392

Scored more points than most teams perhaps, but not all. [Smile]

And Owens only got one TD this week.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I was # 1 in points at the beginning of the week, even ahead of you actually.

For the record....Reggie Bush sucks. Parker can't find an endzone. And I have no #3 WR, really.

I lost to a team that hasn't really played in 3 months today. [Frown]

orlox
Member # 2392

Actually you weren't (1323.18 to 1303.46) but that isn't really important.

What is important, is that you clinched a playoff spot. Once the playoffs start it is all sudden death and anyone has a shot. I would feel pretty comfortable going into the playoffs with Romo, Moss, Welker and Watson.

Heh, my RBs are dropping like flies, I would be delighted to have either Bush or Parker much less Moss and Welker. Burleson gets a big boost too with Hackett out.

Record schmecord, you are still the team that concerns me most through the playoffs. Surviving that barrage of points when we went head to head a few weeks back was solely due to Chester's 3TD performance and my temporary good fortune that AD was injured.

Will I be so lucky in playoffs?

orlox
Member # 2392

BTW, I am glad we stayed on Yahoo. I still hate the site but having that long history attached to the league is great.

You were right and I was wrong.

This message will self destruct to eliminate evidence of fallibility. [Eek!]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, perhaps that was the week before last then. I remember because it was weird to be tops in points (although only by a few) but have a 6-4 or 6-5 record.

I think I will offer to run it next year as well, and start recruiting earlier. It has gone well, but I would like more people, or to change the setup per team regarding positions played each week.

I like the IDP's too....how does everyone else feel about them? Would you prefer to switch to regular defences next time?

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was originally ambivalent on the IDPs, but I've grown rather accustomed to them. I enjoy the increased variability, even with so few teams. I'm also very happy we stayed on Yahoo.

With a win this week, I think I've clinched the second seed. I love Tom Brady, and not just because he's hot. [Wink]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

[Smile]
Kwea
Member # 2199

This should be a fun week. I think my game against SW will be close. [Smile]

I don't suppose the Steelers are playing at home, huh? If so I am praying for rain.....

[Wink]

Kwea
Member # 2199

My team sucks, and I would take my RB (particularily Bush) out back and shoot them but they aren't worth the price of the bullets.

Parker need to be face planted in the much until he knows how to hold on to a football.

[Frown]

orlox
Member # 2392

Congratulations to the Bombs! They trounced me soundly for the championship... Too much O for my D!

[The Wave]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Weird, weird season...
Carrie
Member # 394

*takes a bow*

I got really really lucky with that, especially since my D didn't play. At all, apparently. But with Fitzgerald and Hester having huge days, it was a good one for me. [Smile]

Congrats to you also, orlox, for scaring me out of my pants when I found I was going to face you in the finals. [Wink]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I don't mind the IDPs, but it takes some re-thinking on my part. Tackles obviously build up... which is weird because a team having a really good defensive game will actually have *fewer* tackles.

The only other thing that was wacky was playing on week 17-- tough to decide who to play with all but two playoff spots and one seeding determined.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I am always willing to take suggestions, but particularly at the end of the season I would like to hear peoples thoughts about the league. I like the IDP's, and I would like to keep them next year, but it isn't a deal breaker to me.

I will say this....if I am Commish next year we will be making some changes on how many of each position we play. I want at least 12 teams, but if we don't get that many we will play more of each position to make it more interesting. I have heard good things about doing that.

I also like the points-per-reception/carry idea, although I don't know if anyone else is.....has anyone played in one of those types before?

I also like the idea of the playoffs starting earlier, so we don't have wacky stuff like entire teams sitting out for our playoffs.

Carrie
Member # 394

I forget if we used to have points-per-reception in the league, but we certainly had points for completions and incompletions as well, which is something I sometimes miss. Those latter originally, IIRC, counted for a point for/against; that changed to fractional after a year or two. I distinctly remember having to re-learn how to do my mental scoring on gamedays when we switched over. [Smile]

I'm becoming more a fan of the IDP's than I was when we started using them. I say keep 'em.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I didn't like the fractional points last year, as there was too much up and down. I have seen leagues that award points based on receptions, completions and carries though, which rewards a team for sticking with a back or receiver.

I think someone who catches 12 passes a game should get something for it, even if he only gets 60 yards a game. [Smile]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

we gonna do this again?

1st preseason games are coming up...

Kwea
Member # 2199

I am up for it, is anyone else?

I am also open for suggestions this year is anyone had any issues with the rules or the way we formated it.....

I put the league back up for this year, and I made some changes. None of them are cut in stone, but I had discussed them at the end of the season last year.

Unless we have a great turnout...and I really hope we do....I want to increase the number of players per position that an play each week. I think we would have had a better, more competitive league last year. So I am thinking....2 QB's, 3 RB's and 4 WR's....and one extra defensive player per position as well, making it 3 of each for D, DL and DB's.

Maybe 2 kickers each as well.....

If we get 12-16 teams that wouldn't work at all, of course.

[ July 29, 2008, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Carrie
Member # 394

That's... a lot of players on a team. [Smile] I vote we wait and see how many people sign up, though having to play the waivers could be amusing - if time-consuming.

Oh, and I'm back in. [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I played around with it today, and we are a little limited by the max slots per team allow. I increased it to this:

Q x2; WR x4; RB x3; TE x1; K x1; DL x2; DB x2; Dx3

I can always reset it if necessary, I just wanted to know how to do it.

I also put 2 bonus points for the following achievements:

300 yrs passing; 200 yrds rushing

I added .25 points per reception, and will probably do that per rushing carry as well.

[ July 29, 2008, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

orlox
Member # 2392

I continue to think that there should be two leagues: one with standard def/st and one with Individual Defensive Players (IDP). I think we scare away some potential participants by having only IDPs. Participation rates have declined... I am not positive that this is the reason but it certainly doesn't help.

Generally, I consider leagues with 2 QBs etc. to be 'novelty', not serious, leagues. It gets tremendously complex covering the bye weeks in such schemes and encourages orphaned teams. Being the Hatrack League, I might make an exception but usually I wouldn't even consider joining such a league.

I have no problems with the performance bonuses. [Smile]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I'm in and signed up. A heads-up: the invite e-mail makes it sound like you have to pay (it says you "purchase" your team). You do not.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I find the IDP to be easier than the standard defense, to be honest. You pick 6 players, just like on offense, and see how they do.

Two leagues seems cumbersome, and we had enough trouble last year getting players for ONE league.

As far as the positions go, I don't really care. Majority rules on that if it comes to it. The problem last year was that I was able to pick up players from the slush pile who should have been playing all along. There was too much talent, and not enough teams to play them.

orlox
Member # 2392

I like the IDP too. My motivation here is NOT my personal preference (which is for IDP) but rather for the health of the League. Look over the stats from the last 2 years and I am surely the largest beneficiary of IDP.

But, it simply cannot be easier than team defense. There are magnitudes of difference in the player universe from which the owner must select.

In any case I am not proposing an either/or choice. I think we could do both. I would think that almost everyone willing to play the IDP league would also be willing to play a def/st league especially if it was more populous.

The history of all this is instructive. Originally it was argued that we had so many owners that the def/st pool was not large enough (a common problem in big leagues) and we had to go to IDP. Now, a few years later, we have so few owners that you are worried the free agent pool is too rich.

The number of people who want to play IDP fantasy football MUST be a subset of those who want to play fantasy football. Even on serious FF sites, it is only a small fraction.

You can see from the link that I have always argued this exact line and that my prediction of declining participation has unfortunately come to pass. I have been commishing leagues for well over a decade and have seen all this before. But no one has listened to me so far, so I don't expect anyone to start now! [Razz]

In the meantime, my yahoo id fell into disuse so I need the league # and password which would also be useful to any new owners.

[ July 30, 2008, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: orlox ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I am not sure if the league ID# (145106) changed since last year, but the password is still Hatrack.

As is the name of the league.

I made a custom URL for it: Here it is.

orlox
Member # 2392

The league ID is 249341 (Password: Hatrack)

The url only works if you are already registered.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.