FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any Elizabeth George fans here?

Author Topic: Any Elizabeth George fans here?
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of genre fiction and extensive vocabulary, I'm kinda hooked on mystery writer Elizabeth George and her Lynley novels. I'm not a fan of mysteries myself; it's not a literary snobbishness thing, it just hasn't been my genre of choice. Of course, I haven't read anything by the greats, so I'm pretty ignorant of what's out there. If George is derivative, I wouldn't know it. But her characters are intriguing, complex and real and they keep me going back for more. Her books are well-researched, she knows how to put together an excellent story that keeps me reading, and her prose sings.

The main character in her novels is a Scotland Yard inspector of noble birth, Sir Thomas Lynley. His partner is a working class woman named Barbara Havers. There are several other friends/lovers who are prominent characters in most of the novels. She doesn't shy away from the dark and gritty; I haven't read all of them, because I actually just didn't want to delve that deep into the seedy side of life in the last one I started -- but I also haven't wanted to move on to the next one and miss the story arc of the main characters. I'm sure I'll read it before too long when I'm in the mood for it.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Elizabeth George too, and I've also enjoyed the television adaptations of her novels. She writes very readable novels and both main characters are interesting individuals as well as figures from different classes.

If you enjoy English mystery writers, P.D. James is considerably more literary, and her mysteries are some of my favorite novels regardless of genre. Her one novel set in the future was recently made into a movie; "Children of Men" is a haunting look at our future. Her mysteries can also be bleak, but they also have threads of romance, love and hope despite the violence and sadness that surround the main characters. Have you read any of her novels?

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth George is one of my favorite authors--I buy her books in hardcover. I like P.D. James as well, and I'm interested to know what makes her more literary in your view, Diana.

I prefer the Havers and Lynley ongoing story (especially the Simon and Deborah characters) to the Kate and Dalgliesh story, which is probably why I like George's novels better.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

I remember reading that George originally envisioned the series with Simon as the protagonist, but either early versions didn't sell or she just decided on her own that Lynley would be the more marketable character. I can see why she preferred Simon!

I haven't read P.D. James although I know I ought to try one sometimes. If I do it will be due to George's influence. *sheepish* I've never even read an Agatha Christie novel.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
I've never even read an Agatha Christie novel.

[Eek!]

*swoons*

Go now! Read Ten Little Indians! Or The Murder of Roger Ackroyd! Or, no, wait! Read Murder on the Orient Express!

What are you waiting for? GO!

[Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Ten Little Indians is the same book as 'And Then There Were None', right?
Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yup. It has an even less PC name too. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved George's first 4 or 5 books. Then I abruptly got tired of them -- I got sick of her characters being so miserably angsty all the time and never having any fun.

I think I remember someone on Hatrack encouraging me to give the later novels a try. Do they get less miserable??

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

rivka, too funny -- Your reaction eerily echoes this recent dialogue I had with a friend about Lord of the Rings:

quote:
Friend: Would you believe I've still never read it all the way through yet? There is a big chunk in the middle that I had to skip to do the LotR On This Date.

Me: WHAT????? THAT IS HERESY!!!! Remedy it immediately.

And I'm only sort of kidding.

rivka
Member # 4859

And yet, you haven't left for the library yet.

*shakes head sadly* You can lead a horse . . .

Uprooted
Member # 8353

Slow learner.
Liz B
Member # 8238

I second rivka's recommendation of Murder on the Orient Express. It's a great Christie to start with.

I love Ngaio Marsh, too. In fact, I'm reading one of her books right now (well, right now I'm posting on Hatrack and then I'm eating dinner. But you know what I mean.).

As for George getting less angst-y, plaid--I'd have to say not so much, since I'd hate to mislead you. Still, the more recent books have been SO good.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Yeah, plaid, I've read the first ten, and the angst doesn't abate much.

But I just went to her website and *gasp* the description of the latest novel has a spoiler in the first line that I was not ready to know yet.

And one that is sure to produce a great deal more angst, at that.

Liz B
Member # 8238

Yep. I haven't been able to bring myself to read her latest yet.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
The only mystery writer I've read is Michael Innes. He's hilarious and silly and has lots of dry British humor along with just general wittiness and perceptive commentary on human nature. His books are lighthearted and not at all serious, being the sort that one can easily read between supper and bedtime. They're just a whole lot of fun and I highly recommend him. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
The roommate and I listened to a few Elizabeth George short stories on audio book on a road trip. I remember liking them quite a bit, despite the sub-par audio engineering.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.