FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best "Twist Ending" mysteries...

Author Topic: Best "Twist Ending" mysteries...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...the sort that are good enough to go through again after the twist is revealed.

I vote for Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, an exceedingly dark mystery in which all the suspects die. The epilogue really blew my mind, years ago.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Did rivka pay you to post this? ;-)

(okay, okay, I'm really going to go read a Christie novel soon!)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that ATTWN was a great book, but I'm pretty sure it was a fluke. Most of Christie's books (that I've read) were junk and I don't know why she's so popular. The last book of hers that I read was called Elephants Don't Forget... it was about a woman whose parents had been killed 25 years before the story opens, but the protagonist was only 19 years old. [Confused] The whole book was full of that kind of error. I never read another of the Dame's books after that.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the stage version when I was about 11, and it blew me away. I was shocked. It was awesome.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Try Stephen Saylor's 'Roman Blood'. It's the first in a long series of mysteries with a somewhat unreliably narrator, so most of the stories have at least one good twist.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Did rivka pay you to post this? ;-)

Nah. If I had it would have been pushing Orient Express. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
Most of Christie's books (that I've read) were junk and I don't know why she's so popular. The last book of hers that I read was called Elephants Don't Forget... it was about a woman whose parents had been killed 25 years before the story opens, but the protagonist was only 19 years old. [Confused] The whole book was full of that kind of error. I never read another of the Dame's books after that.

How many have you read? The book I think you mean, Elephants Can Remember is unquestionably one of her poorer novels (and not incidentally one of the last she ever wrote). However, you're wrong about the age discrepancy; the murder had taken place, according to a conversation early in the book, "well, I suppose, ten-- twenty years [ago] at least" (she's wrong; it was 12) and the young lady in question "she must be about twenty-five or -six" (and she's right about that, because it has been several years since Celia's 21st birthday).

Regardless, judging Dame Christie by one of her poorer novels cannot give you a good idea of what she was like in her prime.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
Try Stephen Saylor's 'Roman Blood'. It's the first in a long series of mysteries with a somewhat unreliably narrator, so most of the stories have at least one good twist.

Seconded!

Those are the books I was trying to remember so I could add them to my goodreads.com list. Thanks!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.
I mean who woulda guessed Snape was Harry's father. Or that Ginny was adopted by the Beasley's and her brother Harry was given to his uncle to hide the fact that they were twins from searchers. Or that Snape would turn on Voldemort to protect Harry when Snape had previously blown off Harry's arm in a to-the-death wand duel.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I finished Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

*Spoilers*

I've got to say, I was really disappointed with the twist at the end. I could remember that Moody was a fake and a bad guy (although I couldn't remember exactly who he was), but reading through it, I don't think JKR gave the reader enough of a chance to pick up on that. Yeah, there were some things with Moody that made more sense once you realized what was going on, such as Moody's attack the night before he started school and Moody asking to borrow the Marauder's map, but those were things that would have made sense if Moody were Moody as well. And there were things that Moody did, like work the kids so hard to learn how to fight the dark arts, the didn't seem to make sense. Why did he help Harry learn how to resist the imperious curse? It didn't help keep Harry safe for V..

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

*checks the date*

Yup, definitely July of 2007. [Wink]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
mph: I totally agree.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers*

mph: Perhaps it was important to play the part of the real Mad Eye Moody to perfection. If he had been more lax and uninterested wouldn't that have raised an eyebrow from Mr. Dumbledore? From what I can tell, Crouch Jr. was supremely dedicated to Voldemort and spared no effort in executing his assigned tasks.

And ultimately Harry completely trusted him because his performance had been so good. Only a timely save by Dumbledore and Snape saved Harry from getting killed.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Personally, I felt the threats from Snape directed to Harry about the stealing of certain potion ingredients (which fans may recall were the components of polyjuice potion) was a nice clue.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to say the Sixth Sense. That one really caught me off guard. And it was before M. Night's other films, so no one (or at least I) didn't know what to expect.

Now, I think his next movie should have the uber-twist of NOT having a twist at the end.

What a twist!

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers:

Moody (actually Crouch) being a great teacher (in Harry's experience) but a bad person is one of my key supports in my belief that Snape is good. Quality of teaching does not equal quality of character in Rowling's world.

And back to the topic at hand: Jeffrey Deaver (The Bone Collector is probably his most famous book, since it was made into a movie) ALWAYS surprises me, even though by now I'm always expecting a surprise. His novels are far more horrific than Christie's, though, so be warned.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. You're back to doing this again. EXCELLENT. I like these sort of topics, despite being unable to think of any cool twists....
Maybe the one in American Gods. Now that was rather cool.
But that's not a mystery.
i should read more mysteries.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I was a child and first read Valley of Fear, I don't think any twist has ever blown my mind like that.

Of course, I haven't read it in years, so I don't know how I'd like it today. But the first reading knocked me out.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
'The Thirteenth Tale' by Dianne Setterfield had a nice twist. Of course, it's technically not a mystery. Neither is 'Wolf Hunting' by Jane Lindskold. Now there's a book that blew me away at the end.
Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved The Thirteenth Tale! The end was great.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I like The Universe by Lord Almighty. It turns out that the Universe was just a dream that God was having.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The Westing Game is a fun puzzle novel. I figured it out. But it was fun all the same.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Although this is an interesting thread, I can't help but wonder if I'm the only one who finds the wording of the title redundant. I mean, are there any mysteries that don't have, by some standard, a "twist ending?" Doesn't that sort of define the genre?

It sort of seems like putting together a list of best "speculative" science-fiction.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
Although this is an interesting thread, I can't help but wonder if I'm the only one who finds the wording of the title redundant. I mean, are there any mysteries that don't have, by some standard, a "twist ending?" Doesn't that sort of define the genre?

"By some standard" is such a broad, ambiguous phrase. In the example I gave, the mastermind turned out to be someone who had "died" early on the book. I'd call that a "twist"...unlike, say, your typical Columbo mystery...where you know who did it right away...the mystery is in how long the suspect will hold out against Columbo's relentless picking and pestering. [Smile]
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, just one more thing... [Smile]

I'd say that a twist happens when the solution is something you absolutely didn't see coming--either you already dismissed the character as the bad guy, or you never considered him or her...but this dismissal/ lack of consideration has to be for very good reasons, either based on clues OR your understanding of the conventions of mysteries. Then in order for it to be a good twist, and not just the author manipulating you, you have to be able to think back and in retrospect see all of the more subtle clues leading to the correct deduction.

The Ngaio Marsh books I've been reading lately don't have twists like that. It's pretty clear that the murderer is one of a few different people, & the fun is figuring out how & why more than who.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read, oh, maybe 10-15 Agatha Christie novels. They're very nastily clever; I don't remember ever getting close to solving one.

I've got very mixed feelings about Christie books. She does write excellent mysteries, and her books give a great sense of their time and place... but she doesn't imbue her characters with much warmth; she writes about people as if they were bugs under glass. Because of this, I can't enjoy re-reading her books... whereas I've gone back and re-read Dorothy Sayers books many times.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of Lindsey Davis' novels are quite good with the twist ending (although in some I immediately guess who did it.) And there's one of Sharyn McCrumb's Ballad mysteries that has a great twist but I forget which one it is... Was it She Walks These Hills? I'd have to look it up.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Anne Perry, "Belgrave Square". She writes Victorian mysteries, this is one of the Inspector Pitt series. Perry writes fascinatingly of the subtleties of Victorian upper class society.
The ending of this BLEW ME AWAY! I audibly gasped at the 'reveal' in the last couple of pages. Really good read, and not just for the ending.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

plaid, have you read any of Christie's Tommy & Tuppence books? I think you might find them more to your taste.
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I even opened the thread, my first thought was And Then There Were None. I've never read any of her other stuff, though.

I read the book when I was really young, and I must have put it down before the epilogue. It was such a treat to read it again a couple of years later and find out what had actually happened.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.