FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is not watering your lawn really a police matter? (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is not watering your lawn really a police matter?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - I thought of that too - when I read that article. I first thought "why are they having her water when they are in a drought/fire area" but then I also thought "what a tinder box that could be to have such a dry lawn - maybe they are trying to PREVENT a fire"

I really have no clue as to their logic though.

However, I will be happy to send them rain if I could. We definitely have much more than we need this year...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

by the way, Kettricken -- good to see you posting again!

We were just talking about you at my house the other day -- my mom asked me "about that gal you sent a Christmas gift to in England" (through the Hatrack gift exchange a couple years back) and I said, "I haven't heard from her or seen her post at all on Hatrack lately!"

Glad to know you're still around! Post more!

[Smile]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a case a few years ago were a couple went to great expense to xeriscape their yard with hardy native plants, gravel, boulders, etc. to preserve water. It looked very nice, however city regulations (another Utah city) required a certain percentage of the yard be grass so they were forced to tear it up and plant a lawn.

[ July 09, 2007, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: MattP ]

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in South Florida, watering your lawn on the wrong day currently IS a police matter...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I think some towns require you to keep your lawn mowed so mosquitos don't build nests in the tall grass.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mosquitoes lay eggs in still water?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Mosquitos don't build nests -- they lay their eggs in pools of stagnant water.

Wasps do build nests in tall grass, though, as I've learned this year.

edit: jinx!

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I personally blame the British aristocracy for this whole mess.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasting water was one of the things I thought about when I read the article. Here if the summer is dry enough to lead to brown grass we are strongly discouraged from watering (with hosepipe bans in the worst affected areas).

I’m surprised that regulations can determine what you do with your own garden – we would never stand for that here! Replacing grass with drought tolerant plants seems like a very sensible thing to do, and not allowing that shows complete disregard for the environment - work with nature not against it.

Farmgirl – I still read Hatrack, but don’t find I have time to post very often. I could make one post, but then not be able to follow up for a few days.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if it were for being a fire hazard, it wouldn't be under the nuisance ordinance. Well, I've known some pretty feisty women who were over 70. Heck, my dad is 70.

I have to go lay down now.

P.S. I don't know about Orem, but Provo has some really pea-brained ordinances in place, which the city council admitted make it possible for them to prosecute "undesireables". For instance you can't actually own more cars than you have unimpeded parking spots for in Provo. Most people do, but it's only a problem if you're an undesireable, apparently.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Orem has a lot of ordinances designed to keep things looking nice and neat, especially in comparison to its more historically rural neighbors like Lindon and American Fork. They're really strict about what pets you can and cannot have. IIRC, you can't even have a rabbit for a pet in Orem, because rabbits are livestock, not pets. Of course, those laws are generally only enforced when somebody complains.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a risk of a dry lawn catching fire in the summer?

Also people keep saying Utah is in the middle of a drought and I just don't see that at ALL. Its the summer, summers are dry.

Spring, Fall, and especially winter saw PLENTY of water. I'll believe we are in a drought when I don't see BYU campus belching out hundreds of gallons of water a minute to water the grass in the middle of the day instead of during early morning or at dusk. Congratulations, you just poured 5 gallons of water and the grass got about 1 mililiter of it because of evaporation. Not only that, the water is acting as a lens and its burning itself!

quote:

Ms Perry...has been offered help by local church leaders to clean up her garden."

Good! This is the sort of thing that makes for a great priesthood activity.

I feel bad for the woman, I really do. But you don't get to just, "go sit down to get away from the policeman."

If she was a dude she would have been firmly tackled.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Also people keep saying Utah is in the middle of a drought
Probably not an official drought, I don't know. I was only basing that comment on the fact that the wildfires out there are making national headlines, so I figured it must be very dry.

FG

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
quote:
Also people keep saying Utah is in the middle of a drought
Probably not an official drought, I don't know. I was only basing that comment on the fact that the wildfires out there are making national headlines, so I figured it must be very dry.

FG

I've only lived here for 4 years, but I did come here every summer since I was about 4. I can conciously remember fires taking place every summer. I'm pretty sure fire departments actually cause fires in the spring preemptively in order to prevent larger orders of fire from forming.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

BB -- Utah had a drought that lasted about 5 years, which ended about three years ago.

Link

edit: Fix the numbers, add the link

MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, those laws are generally only enforced when somebody complains.
Yup. We've got 9 chickens and our neighbor has two rabbits. We're within city limits, but just barely - there's a horse pasture on the other side of our back fence.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
In the American South we used to have the principle that you should be nice to old people. This takes precedence over things we usually put top priority on, like enforcing laws or being efficient with our time. For example, if you see granny wandering around muttering to herself, you do not arrest her for vagrancy or handcuff her because she can't tell you her name; you find out who she's kin to and tell them she needs to take her medication. Unfortunately I think this custom is now dead. I would like to think that when I'm too old to run away from justice the cops won't tackle me and break my hip just in case I decide to make a break for it.

It's also a little unclear how the policeman could fear she would evade justice. He already knew where she lived: a few feet from her lawn. Don't they cover that in training now?

In a just world, this cop would be immediately moved into a job where they give him demerits if he forgets and says "May I take your order?" instead of "Would you like to try one of our value specials," because after all, them's the rules.

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
BB -- Utah had a drought that lasted about 5 years, which ended about three years ago.

Link

edit: Fix the numbers, add the link

This was my understanding as well, though I failed to mention it. I just still hear people talking about drought. When I was in the MTC back in the winter of 2001 the prophet asked us all to pray for moisture and that the drought would end. It dumped quite a bit that week.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
In a just world, this cop would be immediately moved into a job where they give him demerits if he forgets and says "May I take your order?" instead of "Would you like to try one of our value specials," because after all, them's the rules.
Well, he's been suspended already.... I think he got the point that he majorly screwed up
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Thank God the universe is not merely just.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
It's also a little unclear how the policeman could fear she would evade justice. He already knew where she lived: a few feet from her lawn. Don't they cover that in training now?

What if sweet old lady goes inside and gets a weapon?

What if she gets her dead beat son who is drunk and gets him to "talk" to the police officer, and he proceeds to assault the officer?

What if there is something amiss inside the home and she is going to dispose of the evidence because the officer spooked her?

What if she has a controled substance on her person and she wants to go inside and hide it before the officer gives her a pat down?

What if she is turning her back to the officer so she can reach into her waist and draw a weapon?

What if she had an outstanding warrant as was afraid the policeman was going to run her name in his computer?

All of those things DO happen, and unfortunately being an old lady does not somehow remove any possibility of them happening.

What could she have possibly lost by giving the officer her name?

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Utah is burning to the ground due to the drought, and idjits are going after folks for failure to waste HUGE amounts of water.

Yes. My first thoughts on reading the title is that I'd see it as more likely for the police to be involved in someone watering ( wasting) in a drought.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
quote:
Well, he's been suspended already.... I think he got the point that he majorly screwed up
Policeman are frequently put on "paid administrative leave," so that a panel can investigate the incident. In fact if a weapon is discharged regardless of the circumstance the officer involved is put on paid administrative leave.

They might find him at fault, they might not.

Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
What I find interesting about this is that when my Grandpa was a Cop, he used to laugh in people's faces when they called the Police to complain about a neighbors dry lawn. How things change.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
What if sweet old lady goes inside and gets a weapon?

What if she gets her dead beat son who is drunk and gets him to "talk" to the police officer, and he proceeds to assault the officer?

What if there is something amiss inside the home and she is going to dispose of the evidence because the officer spooked her?

What if she has a controled substance on her person and she wants to go inside and hide it before the officer gives her a pat down?

What if she is turning her back to the officer so she can reach into her waist and draw a weapon?

What if she had an outstanding warrant as was afraid the policeman was going to run her name in his computer?

All of those things DO happen, and unfortunately being an old lady does not somehow remove any possibility of them happening.

What could she have possibly lost by giving the officer her name?

Are we seriously suggesting that it is a justifiable action to strike an old lady in the face on the off chance that she might secretly have cocaine in her girdle?

Life is full of risk. The next passerby I see might have a stash of ganja weed in his small clothes, and might be walking to scope me out so he can blow me away next week. I will nonetheless try to restrain myself from assaulting everyone I see today.

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I never got the feeling that the striking the face was purposeful as opposed to accidental. It is hard to tell from the write-up.

quote:
In the scuffle, Perry tripped on the step and fell into the door frame, scraping her nose and elbows and leaving behind spots of blood on the door, and on her shirt and pants, said Orem Police Lt. Doug Edwards. Perry said the officer struck her in the face with the cuffs while he was restraining her.. . .

. .. As she went down, she tucked her hands under her stomach to keep from being handcuffed, which meant the officer had to pull her hands out, causing more scrapes, according to Edwards.

Sounds like there was quite a scuffle going on, so I don't know how much injury was part of her own doing in fighting him, and how much was deliberate. Really hard to tell without being there.

as a side note -- I can REALLY see my mom (who turns 70 this year) doing something like this when she is really mad. She's totally illogical when she's mad..

FG

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In a just world people wouldn't condemn others to loss of their chosen livelihood without examining the evidence first.

quote:
Are we seriously suggesting that it is a justifiable action to strike an old lady in the face on the off chance that she might secretly have cocaine in her girdle?
Are you seriously suggesting that it has been proven at all that her story is accurate?

Look again at what's been agreed on by her and the officer and what hasn't been. We don't know the officer struck her with the cuffs, we just know she claimed that he did.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
2-day storm doesn't faze drought
The two-day storm that began clearing out Thursday [5July2007] afternoon drenched northern Utah with more than an inch of rain in spots around the Wasatch Front, and the upper elevations of the Wasatch Mountains gained more than a foot of snow.
The precipitation was more than welcome, but National Weather Service forecasters say the cold Pacific storm barely dented water needs in what has so far been a year of drought. In fact, the Salt Lake Valley is about 7 inches short of what it would need to be normal.
"We've had a below-average snowpack and below-average precipitation," said Brian McInerney, a hydrologist with the weather service's Salt Lake City bureau. "Now we're at the very end of the melting season. This storm is too little, too late."

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
That article is a month old, aspectre. I don't think it's rained here since then.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

My apologies. I assumed from "Utah's week in review" and "Article Last Updated: 06/10/2007 01:40:18 AM MDT" that TheSaltLakeTribune was referring to last Thursday.
However, your correction along with reports such as "With forest fires raging, a drought dragging on..." / etc strengthens my belief that "...firefighters were battling wildfires in...areas which have been ravaged by prolonged drought" correctly included Utah.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:

quote:
Are you seriously suggesting that it has been proven at all that her story is accurate?
That I can easily answer: no. Blackblade did not say that she did or did not illegal substances on her person. He was speaking hypothetically. As for my statement: "Are we seriously suggesting that it is a justifiable action to strike an old lady in the face on the off chance that she might secretly have cocaine in her girdle?" is not reasonably paraphrased as "It has been proven that Betty Perry's story is accurate."

Regarding your other comment about premature judgments: I suppose it is possible that the old lady struck herself in the face when the policeman happened to be walking by. We should know by tomorrow when her knuckles start to swell.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be surprised if they were worried about lawns catching fire. My dad told me there was a lawn fire on his way home from work today, and Michigan, though dry lately, isn't even in a drought.

However, drought is both widespread, and here to stay.

Los Angeles (or was it Las Vegas? I don't remember) has made some impressive changes in the last decade in water conservation, cutting back on their water usage despite great increases in their population.

After a year of extreme wildfires, notably the one in Georgia, the biggest in a century, and the one burning right now in Utah, combined with high levels of drought that show no sign of leaving anytime soon means we have to change our habits and be extra cautious when it comes to water and forestry management. Florida is in trouble because they are exhausting underground aquifers at staggering rates on top of extremely bad drought. Parts of exposed Lake Okechobee lakebed have caught on fire lately.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Los Angeles (or was it Las Vegas? I don't remember) has made some impressive changes in the last decade in water conservation, cutting back on their water usage despite great increases in their population.

Both, I'm pretty sure. However, years of non-drought here in L.A. have caused some backsliding.

In Vegas, they don't have "drought." They have "desert." [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Also people keep saying Utah is in the middle of a drought and I just don't see that at ALL. Its the summer, summers are dry.

Spring, Fall, and especially winter saw PLENTY of water.

BlackBlade, You clearly are misinformed. At the beginning of April, snow pack in the Wasatch mountains was just under 50% of normal. All other areas in the state were worse. Utah is definitely in a drought.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

In Vegas, they don't have drought. They cause desert elsewhere.

(I think I read, possibly in one of Lyrhawn's Green articles, that) LosAngelesCounty has reduced total water usage by ~10% in the time that the total population has increased by ~30%. ie The average Angeleno currently uses 31% less water than the Angeleno of the past.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:

Spring, Fall, and especially winter saw PLENTY of water.

BlackBlade, You clearly are misinformed. At the beginning of April, snow pack in the Wasatch mountains was just under 50% of normal. All other areas in the state were worse. Utah is definitely in a drought.
Snow packs where actually at about 37%, but why nitpick?

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/217990/3/
From the article:
quote:

While monster snowstorms may be missing, hundreds of millions of dollars worth of reservoirs and pipelines will mean no water shortages this summer, said Chris Finlinson of the Central Utah Water Conservancy District.

"The reservoirs are in good shape," she said. "We will not have shortages in this area as others might in areas that don't have storage facilities."

Since no one can predict whether the drought will break or intensify next winter, water conservation will be especially necessary this year, she said.

I suppose if last winter snow fall was not up to snuff it's that easy to be in a drought. But I was pretty sure the long drought that many folks were biting their nails over ended some time ago. Doesn't mean drought can't return a year later.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

Utah is in a drought. No amount of backpedaling changes that. And droughts are based on precipitation, so it makes no difference how much water you have in the reservoirs.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
In Vegas, they don't have drought. They cause desert elsewhere.

(I think I read, possibly in one of Lyrhawn's Green articles, that) LosAngelesCounty has reduced total water usage by ~10% in the time that the total population has increased by ~30%. ie The average Angeleno currently uses 31% less water than the Angeleno of the past.

I think that was one of the Green Energy thread articles. Those were the numbers I was trying to remember but couldn't off the top of my head.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

Utah is in a drought. No amount of backpedaling changes that. And droughts are based on precipitation, so it makes no difference how much water you have in the reservoirs.

OK and I already conceded that it looks like we are back in a drought. But we have not been in one continuous drought over the last decade.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As to police involvement with lawn care, this kind of situation is always a possibility with these kind of regulations. If someone refuses to cooperate with a summons, what are the choices besides arrest or choosing not to enforce the regulation?
Issue a summons, give her a fine, garnish her wages, put a lien on the house?

That law should be illegal anyway. Just like laws that say you can't use a clothes line.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Except for the lien on the house, positive identification is required for all these.

Beyond that, my larger point stands, especially in situations where you don't have something like a house that will provide a very good lead on identity: if you're not willing to arrest someone for violating a regulation in situations where a summons isn't cooperated with, the regulation shouldn't be in place.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the policeman just picked the wrong little old lady to mess with. He learned that being a little old lady trumps being a policeman when it comes to personal power. He had obviously never met my grandmother or mom. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Speaking of little ol' ladies trumping, LasVegas is turning towards (near)mandatory xeriscaping.

[ July 19, 2007, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

aspectre
Member # 2222

And yet another case of lunatics taking over the asylum. This time, British local authorities are hassling a female pensioner for gardening without warning signs and a lookout.
aspectre
Member # 2222

And yet another case of lunatics taking over the asylum. This time, British local authorities are hassling a female pensioner for gardening without warning signs and a lookout.
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a stupid regulation, but if she gets hit by a car, she'd probably sue the county for lack of safety. When everyone's first answer is a lawsuit, stupid rules to stop them are the norm.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Granny should just get one of these installed - voila! no more lawn to water, mow or get tackled over [Cool]

Seriously though, the police officer may need a little more instruction on dealing with older people. Sometimes they take a certain finesse - at least my fiesty grandma did!

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

sigh...
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Police said samples of the burger were sent to the state crime lab for tests.
The tax dollars of Union City at work.

I have to agree with the girl on this one, why in God's name would he keep eating a burger he obviously didn't like? I would think this is one of those common sense cases.

Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Gratuitous use of power by the police officer?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.