FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Speaking of embarrassingly bad, unoriginal movies coming out... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Speaking of embarrassingly bad, unoriginal movies coming out...
Kelly
Member # 9576

- posted      Profile for Kelly   Email Kelly         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash]
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. My esteem of Jason Lee is plummeting.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I thought you were talking about Alvin and the Chipmunks
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
What is she talking about? I can't decipher the graemlin enough to figure it out.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The graemlin is a link.

I was also talking about the Chipmunks movie.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Why? WHY?!

The worst part is that you know it won't stop. There are plenty of old cartoons and toys that will provide fuel for Hollywood hacks for years to come.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

We need a Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors movie next. [Big Grin]

Though they'll likely mine Smurfs, Snorks, Gummi Bears, My Little Pony, Carebears, and Fraggle Rock first.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

The real fuel for such dreck comes from the wallets of people who go to see those movies.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Wow. My esteem of Jason Lee is plummeting.

I agree. It makes me really sad, too, because I actually think he's very talented and usually quite fun to watch. [Frown]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I wanted to cry the other day when I saw this list.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
If you think Underdog looks embarrassingly bad, I can show you a movie that looks almost infinitely worse.

But then again, who knows... Let's keep in mind that one of the best movies of the past five years was based on a theme park ride.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are you criticizing this movie? You haven't seen it yet, so...

Er...

Um...

Yeah, it's gonna suck, I guess.

But it has a cute dog! Look just like mine!

*EDIT*: Actually, is that a Beagle?

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Though they'll likely mine...Fraggle Rock first.

Given that Fraggle Rock is one of the very few Muppet projects still owned by the Henson company, they've greenlit Fraggle Rock the Movie, with an expected holiday of 2009 release date.

Mixed emotions on that. Fraggle Rock was a series that had a definite beginning, middle, and end. There were no loose threads left after Jim Henson brought it to a conclusion.

It had better be one heck of a good story.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/07/04
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:

Old list, it seems... At least two of those are already in progress.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Macross could easily hold a movie, and has--several good ones.

If they ever make a Thundercats movie, though, I'm going to go on a murderous rampage.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Because Thundercats sucked. We might as well admit it: It's one of those things you like when you were a kid...but unlike Tex Avery, Jay Ward, or Osamu Tezuka cartoons, it turns out to be garbage once you get older. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly
Member # 9576

quote:
Originally posted by Xaposert:
If you think Underdog looks embarrassingly bad, I can show you a movie that looks almost infinitely worse.

But then again, who knows... Let's keep in mind that one of the best movies of the past five years was based on a theme park ride.

And we thought just the dolls were bad.

[Frown]

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
The graemlin is a link.

Yeegads! You are right! I did not know you could do that.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
If they ever make a Thundercats movie, though, I'm going to go on a murderous rampage.
Lock and load
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly:
quote:
Originally posted by Xaposert:

And we thought just the dolls were bad.

[Frown]

From IMDB's plot synopis:
"This plot synopsis is empty."

How appropos.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Because Thundercats sucked. We might as well admit it: It's one of those things you like when you were a kid...but unlike Tex Avery, Jay Ward, or Osamu Tezuka cartoons, it turns out to be garbage once you get older. [Smile]

This is depressingly true. I was so enthusiastic about Thundercats in elementary school, but when I was in college and I made the mistake of watching an episode on Cartoon network...
Anime spoiled me. Especially Miyazaki, which I should watch now, as Miyazaki= love [Kiss]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly
Member # 9576

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/07/04

It's funny, because I've never heard of that character before, so before I scrolled down I thought it might be The Gummi Bears [Angst]

[ July 09, 2007, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Kelly ]

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:

How appropos.

Wait, wait, wait... Movies need plot?!?
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the Underdog and Bratz trailers when I saw Ratatouille. I was so grateful that I was about to watch a Pixar movie and not crap like those.

On the other hand, some of the trailers before POTC actually looked kinda good. Enchanted in particular seems to have potential.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
The kids will like it. Of course, they are 3 & 5. This reminds me of Garfield. A great comic strip ruined by the movie business.

Maybe I don't want an EG movie after all. [Smile]

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

My sister who I believe is the demographic that Bratz is targeting laughed so hard at how dumb it sounded to her.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
My sister who I believe is the demographic that Bratz is targeting laughed so hard at how dumb it sounded to her.

But, you see, kids that age will go see dumb movies anyway, even if it causes their parents nightmares.
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bratz trailer is great. A movie about how hard life is for rich, hot girls in high school. It just rings so true!
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:
The kids will like it. Of course, they are 3 & 5. This reminds me of Garfield. A great comic strip ruined by the movie business.

A great comic strip? [Confused]
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
quote:

Garfield is the Seinfeld of comic strips. Each strip is pointless and means absolutely nothing, yet people find it hysterical.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I don't think anybody's found Garfield hysterical in the last 20 years.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I found Garfield hysterical within the last 20 years. Of course, I was under the age of 10 at the time, so take that for what it's worth.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I thought he was joking, until I got to his loving description of G.I.Joe and thought, Holy crap, he's serious. [Eek!]

I'd only heard of four of those toys, though. I shouldn't feel out of touch with something from the eighties, so I'm a little confused by that.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Ditto.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this thread was going to be about Rush Hour 3...
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly
Member # 9576

quote:
Why? WHY?!

The worst part is that you know it won't stop. There are plenty of old cartoons and toys that will provide fuel for Hollywood hacks for years to come.

Oh my God, I think you're right.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly, I am actually interested in that one.

Whether you liked the movie or not, you have to admit that the freeway chase in "Reloaded" was greatness... and Speed Racer done by the Wachowskis promises to be an entire movie of that.

Edit: plus it has the beautiful Christina Ricci portraying my first ever cartoon crush, Trixie.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

quote:
I'd only heard of four of those toys, though.
Really, Ic? I actually had 7 of them, and had always wanted a Robotech toy. The only ones I never had any interest in were Manglor Mountain and Zoids (though a friend had a bunch of Zoids).

But they forgot a bunch of my old toys from that list: Centurions, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors (as mentioned previously), DinoRiders, Go-Bots, Bionic Six, M.U.S.C.L.E. Men, and I'm sure many more...

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, not sure I should even admit I want to see Underdog [Wink]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
From IMDB's plot synopis:

How appropos.

Oh darn it. I noticed this when I first looked at the page, and I was just about to post it. Beaten by a day.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"We need a Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors movie next."

That was my literal next thought as I read the post right b4 yours.

Hee hee. I actually thought those toys were pretty cool. I also liked the cartoon. I never understood why they got rid of it so quickly.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the trailer for Underdog before Ratatouille. Sadly, it wasn't the movie I least wanted to see of the lot. There was also a preview for a new Mr. Bean movie.

Y'know, I remember a time when Rowan Atkinson was funny...

(...Now get off my lawn, you little whippersnappers...)

Oh, and by the way, since the Ratatouille thread seems to have vanished: it's very good, go see it.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
There is a crossroads in every comedic actor's life where they can either choose to drive ahead and make new, funny things, or to coast by on their former reputation and make new, terribly bland things.
Jason Lee's coasting point.
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
<small voice> I think Underdog looks kind of funny. </small voice>

I still can't figure out why they didn't go with a cartoon, but I'm willing to give Underdog a chance. Alvin, not so much.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah remember the old days when they made movies to tell a story instead of selling toys, video games, and T-shirts.

Apparently the theory of "If they loved it as kids in the 80's then they will buy it for their kids now" is working. Transformers, Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, Thundercats, GI Joe,.....I think I even heard they are going to redo the Never Ending Story. (some of those had new TV shows instead of movies)

It is much easier to re-launch something than to try to build it up from nothing.

I could swear when I was a kid 80's there weren't nearly as many movies produced each year. Its hard enough to make a few good movies a year, if they are making 100's there are bound to be a lot of stinkers and derivative junk.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ah remember the old days when they made movies to tell a story instead of selling toys, video games, and T-shirts.
The 1920's? Disney was into merchandising in the thirties, I think.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm slightly ashamed of my parents - they both want to see Underdog, including my father, who hasn't seen a movie since we saw Armageddon on an airplane and he seriously ticked off some people by loudly commenting on the implausibility of the entire movie.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Reader:
quote:
The 1920's? Disney was into merchandising in the thirties, I think.
And it's not as if the Transformers themselves were ever more than a marketing ploy for selling toys.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
This is true, but it seems like almost every movie or TV show is now only for this purpose. I know Star Wars (the first time around) really opened Pandora’s box on this and we will never go back, but it seems like everything is down to a science.

You pick which property you want to re-launch, start generating some buzz, pick a director and promise them a huge budget, once you get a few preliminary clips (a year and a half before its release) start licensing, team up with a toy partner, make sure Wal-Mart and Target are going to support it, get coke or Pepsi on board maybe McDonalds to help advertise and you had a blockbuster before you've even half way through filming. Maybe it is just because I am on the manufacturing side now and I have seen how the business works. One reason they start so far out is so they have time to get all their licensing partners lined up.

It looks like Spiderman 3 and Transformers are going to be the two of the highest grossing movies of the year. Let’s face it neither were very good. They are almost identical, “Fun” way over the top action films with weak plots and lots of visual effects and advertising. Both spent over $200 Million in advertising once you count how much their partners through in. That is as much money as it takes to make most movies. The movie release is just one big commercial for the DVD which generates more $$$ than tickets sales. Both the movie release and the DVD serve to sell all the licensed products.

So I guess what I was trying to say is it used to be you had a one or two of these movies each summer and holiday season like this, but now there’s 6-8. For every Ratatouille there are three re-launches and five sequels.

Getting off my soap box now.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.