FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » is Dickson any good?

Author Topic: is Dickson any good?
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
A quick question for those in the know.

I'm considering whether or nor I should read the Childe Cycle by Gordon R. Dickson. Is it worth the while to go browsing for a complete set? Or are there titles that could be read as stand-alone novels?
To my knowledge the entire series spans nine books. Is this correct or is my information sadly outdated?
I have only read one book by Dickson, The Way of the Pilgrim, and thought it rather good. I do have to add that at some times the narrative was kind of hard to get through, but the plot of the story easily made up for that. Is this typical for Dickson's books?

All your input will be appreciated.
K.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read that book, but I have read Time Storm by Dickson. It was bad enough that I have no interest in reading anything else he has written, but perhaps it was nonrepresentative. He certainly is a prolific writer. Personally, when I'm trying out new books/authors, I try to check them out at the library so if I hate them it hasn't cost me anything.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduffer
Member # 10469

- posted      Profile for baduffer   Email baduffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I greatly enjoyed the Childe Cycle. I think you could read the first few books in any order; they pretty much stand on their own. I think starting with Lost Dorsai, the 6th book you probably need to go in order and have read the early works. My first was The Tactics of Mistake and I was hooked on the Dorsai. There are 10 books from 1959 to 1994 and one just completed by his assistant.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't read the Childe Cycle yet, but I love the whole Dragon Knight series, and I've read many stand-alone sf books by him as well. Mindspan is a great short story collection, and Spacepaw is quite a good novel.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info. I thought of looking for the books in the library myself, but unfortunately the libraries over here aren't well stocked when it comes to science fiction, the more so if the books in question are several decades old.
Perhaps it would be wise to read another of his stand-alone books to get a better idea of his writing style, before committing to an entire series.

also, baduffer, could you possible send me your list, since my list has Lost Dorsai as the second book. TIA.

K.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduffer
Member # 10469

I was referencing publishing order which is how I read most of them. I bet your list is in "future history" order. I guess that is why I said Lost Dorsai was an important starting point. Most of the books published after it are in direct "history" order or concurrent time frames from different viewpoints. I have not read Antagonist. I would be interested in seeing the historical order; here is the publishing order:

1. Dorsai! (1959)
aka The Genetic General
2. Necromancer (1962)
aka No Room for Man
3. Soldier, Ask Not (1967)
4. The Tactics of Mistake (1971)
5. The Spirit of Dorsai (1979)
6. Lost Dorsai (1980)
7. The Final Encyclopedia (1984)
8. The Chantry Guild (1988)
9. Young Bleys (1991)
10. Other (1994)
11. Antagonist (2007)

Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

Thanks baduffer, this is very helpful.
I do not have the copy of the list I made with me right now, but it was on the inside of a copy of The Chantry Guild and as you suggested was probably in the "historical order"; starting with Dorsai! followed by Lost Dorsai.
I can give the full list tomorrow.

Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

This is the list as I penned it down:

1. Dorsai!
2. Lost Dorsai
3. Necromancer
4. Soldier, Ask Not
5. The Spirit of Dorsai
6. The Tactics of Mistake
7. The Final Encyclopedia
8. The Chantry Guild
9. The Dorsai Companion

I guess that last title might be some sort of background information or some such thing.

baduffer
Member # 10469

Thanks for that list, it is interesting. For some reason I imagined Necromancer as taking place before any of the others, but my memory may be fading since it has been over 30 years since I read it.

Since the latest book just came out and I haven't read one of these in over 10 years I think I will have to go back and re-read the series. I will have to think about the order. Hopefully they are all available, I gave all mine away years ago. Every time I move my paperback collection gets donated to the library (and I move a lot).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.