FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "You didn't like 'Transformers'? Then that means you just don't like fun movies." (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "You didn't like 'Transformers'? Then that means you just don't like fun movies."
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I allowed to compare Transformers with Spider-Man 3?

Because I loved the former so much that I want to see it again in the theatre (I rarely do that) and was bored so much by the latter that I wanted to jam a pencil into my eye.

Though, admittedly, I'm surprised that some people don't like Transformers. However, I was also surprised that Forrest Gump won the Oscar over The Shawshank Redemption.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That never made sense to me.
As Shawshank Redemption is 24238947239847 times better. It's how book to movie translations should be.

Though, Forrest Gump the movie in my opinion is better than the book. The book annoyed me.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
First, I apologize for my last post, as it was a bit rushed and I had to cut it off before finishing (was disconnecting my computer for a move - but I'm at work now).

Chris really made the point I was ultimately getting at - which is that not everyone likes cotton candy.

Or, in the case of boredom, how about we swap out cotton candy with, I dunno, taffy?

I'm reacting more to this part of your opening post, though:

quote:
I think being "dumb fun summer movie" should not give said movie a free pass. There are dumb fun summer movies that still manage to be GOOD movies I can watch again and again. Am I really being an uptight jerk by thinking that way?
Just because you didn't feel that Transformers was a good summer movie, that doesn't mean others don't feel that it was. It just wasn't your cup of tea - which is perfectly fine.

People telling you that you "just don't like fun movies" isn't really fair. But you saying that this wasn't a "good" movie because you personally didn't like it, is also somewhat not fair.

You thought it was boring, and I've got no problem with that. I thought it was fun, and I'm pretty sure you don't have a problem with that.

But sweeping statements claiming that a movie is "Good" or "Not Good" in a general sense don't really carry a lot of weight with me.

In a more general perspective (looking at rottentomatoes.com), it seems that the jury is mostly hung on the issue. 56% of the reviews were positive (with 69% of their cream of the crop giving it a thumbs up). That means nearly half of all reviewers didn't like it, and nearly a third of the "cream of the crop" didn't like it either.

I think the most fair way of describing it is that it's not for everyone. Though, imo, if people go in expecting steak, they're going to be disappointed.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Sorry for the double post, but I hadn't seen the second page when I wrote my last post.

I think Spiderman 3 (and X3 for that matter) is a different beast (at least to me) - just because there were two movies in that franchise to compare it to.

I went into Spidey 3 with expectations that had been built by the first two, and had a pretty big letdown. Same with X3. I was expecting the steak on these two... or at least hamburger... and got cotton candy.

However, looking at Fantastic Four - which set its bar a lot lower - I don't know if Fantastic Four 2 can let me down that much.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Just because you didn't feel that Transformers was a good summer movie, that doesn't mean others don't feel that it was. It just wasn't your cup of tea - which is perfectly fine.

Where did I say no one thought it was good? My post specifically mentions other people who loved it.

But you saying that this wasn't a "good" movie because you personally didn't like it, is also somewhat not fair.

Who am I being unfair to? People are free to disagree with me and say it -is- good.

Isn't that the POINT of giving opinions on movies?

Whose feelings could possibly be hurt here? Certainly not the film-makers, who're making a ton of money. Certainly not the people who enjoyed it...my opinion certainly won't change or negate their own.

I don't understand what you mean.

You thought it was boring, and I've got no problem with that. I thought it was fun, and I'm pretty sure you don't have a problem with that.

But sweeping statements claiming that a movie is "Good" or "Not Good" in a general sense don't really carry a lot of weight with me.

So you agree that I can disagree, as long as I'm vague and inconclusive as to exactly why I disliked it? [Confused]

I think the most fair way of describing it is that it's not for everyone. Though, imo, if people go in expecting steak, they're going to be disappointed.

So once again, I "just must not like fun movies."

I repeat: What's wrong with saying you feel a piece of entertainment is good or bad? That is -not- the same thing as saying "No one else is allowed to like it, and if they do they're lame". I'm not sure why you seem convinced it does. I certainly said nothing to that effect in my first or subsequent posts.

Do you really think not liking a film is the same as insulting those who did like it?

If I had said "And everyone who liked this film: You stink"...that would be an insult.

However, I said "I feel it's a bad movie that mostly bored me"...no insult is given to those who disagree.

I gave the reasons why I didn't like Transformers, and none of those reason had to do with it being fluffy, silly, or "non-steak".

FC, I think we're misunderstanding each other, somewhere. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Chris really made the point I was ultimately getting at - which is that not everyone likes cotton candy.

Actually, that was me. [Smile]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Jon Boy, you're right. My apologies. Though, I did mean to reference Chris's "just don't get mustard" post, as well, in a "people like different things" sentiment.

Puffy, I think there's a misunderstanding because I'm not arguing with you.

I agree that people shouldn't have said you just don't like fun movies. It's a silly thing to say. People are free to like what they choose.

The only thing in your post that rang a little funny to me was what you said about giving the movie a "free pass". It seemed to imply that the movie's status as a "dumb fun summer movie" made it above reproach to some people - that people were defending it because it was a blockbuster action flick, rather than because it was actually a "good" film (whatever that means).

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
No apology necessary, FlyingCow.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:

The only thing in your post that rang a little funny to me was what you said about giving the movie a "free pass". It seemed to imply that the movie's status as a "dumb fun summer movie" made it above reproach to some people - that people were defending it because it was a blockbuster action flick, rather than because it was actually a "good" film (whatever that means).

The reason why I said that FC, is because that's what they told me: Because it's a dumb fun summer blockbuster, no one should say they thought it was bad ...and if they do, it just means they just "hate fun movies".

Fooey on that. [Smile]

Are you saying I should have doubted their given reason?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Ah, I see. My misunderstanding - I somehow misread to feel that was your given reason, not theirs.

If their reason was "you have to like it because it was a summer blockbuster", then they're even bigger idiots than I previously thought.

[Big Grin]

They're obviously the same people who made that pile of garbage Independence Day the 23rd highest grossing movie of all time.

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why it is, but while I understand that there's physics and movie physics, logic and movie logic, some things go beyond the scope of what we should be expected to accept even in movie logic and physics. I'm more than willing to suspend disbelief up to a point, but some times I see the writers or director at the edges of things saying "because I want it to be this way. Just go with it, okay?" and I find myself screaming "No! No, it's not okay! You couldn't be bothered to write something that wasn't actively insulting to my intelligence, and that's not okay!"

I didn't exactly love Spider-Man 3. But I didn't find myself going "Oh, it's okay that he fell three stories... Twice... Because he was caught by a giant metal hand."

Or "Of course you know the best hacker in the world, and he lives nearby, and he's a comic black guy who lives with his mom."

Or "Having established the world is at stake and time is of the essence, the most important thing right now is to keep the twelve-foot-high robots from being seen by your parents."

Or "Of course having just met the teenage heroes, the career military guys willingly draw down on government agents to assist them."

("Ha ha, we've got your money, now you have to deal with out writing...")

Intellectually speaking, this movie mad The Island look like My Dinner with Andre.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
intellectually speaking I found no problems with the movie, until the exact same situation happens to you then you can have the right to say "oh no, that was not realistic"
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course having just met the teenage heroes, the career military guys willingly draw down on government agents to assist them."
That was the big one for me. I mean, these guys had no reason to trust Prime, or the kids, or Bumblebee, they had seen their entire unit wiped out by giant robots, but oh, because the kid really likes HIS giant robot, let's get ourselves court-martialed by pulling guns on Federal officials.

Yeah. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
intellectually speaking I found no problems with the movie, until the exact same situation happens to you then you can have the right to say "oh no, that was not realistic"

If you are suggesting that my parents in any way resemble the shallow contrivances of characters who appeared on screen, methinks I shall have to cause you greivous bodily harm.

(kidding.)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
trust me mine are FAR worse. I think real people act worse then people on screen.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
until the exact same situation happens to you then you can have the right to say "oh no, that was not realistic"
When I helped save the world from giant robots in 1987, it was nothing like this movie.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

[ROFL]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
until the exact same situation happens to you then you can have the right to say "oh no, that was not realistic"
When I helped save the world from giant robots in 1987, it was nothing like this movie.
That was you?

I knew you looked familiar at KamaCon!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
trust me mine are FAR worse. I think real people act worse then people on screen.

Sympathies, but if the presence of several twelve-foot-tall autonomously intelligent robots in your yard isn't a winning argument for, well, anything... Something is wrong.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Can we please stop calling it Transformers. They didn't transform. They morphed with pretty CGI.

I loved Hot Fuzz, but they could have shaved off 30 minutes.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
I hate most fun movies.
Bad dialogue, cheesy stories. There's only a handful that are not so bad, but most of them. YUCK.
I also dislike most of the HP movies.
And 90% of chick flicks too. bleh.
They should make a movie with no dialogue, just stuff getting blown up.
I'd watch that.
That would be an awesome movie.

Revenge of the Sith.

Or WALL-E.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.