FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Which 90s cartoon would make a good movie?

Author Topic: Which 90s cartoon would make a good movie?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I asked this question not too long ago. The thread was instantly deluged with two types of posts:

1. "Forget the 90s! This *fill in the name of an 80s cartoon* would make a better movie!"

2. "Bah. It'll suck, no matter what cartoon you choose. Violating my childhood! Evil, EVIL!"

[Wink]

I've decided to give it another shot. From Tiny Toon Adventures (1990) to Batman Beyond (1999) we saw many popular animated series come out. Some of them surprisingly sophisticated. Others goofy as heck.

Which would you like to see make a comeback as a big budget, fun, high quality movie?

No "80s cartoons were better!" or "ARRRGH, My childhood!" posts, please. [Big Grin]

Personally, I would choose Gargoyles, that atypical Disney series that matched the Dini/Timm DC series in quality and depth.

Also, ExoSquad...a surprisingly well-done science fiction series that never pandered to its audience. Despite the obvious hope of generating tie-ins.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Street Sharks. That show was such a rip-off of TMNT. Only with sharks.

I think a full-length Pinky & the Brain movie would be pretty cool.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
We're talking a theatrical release, right?

The only cartoon I remember watching in the 90s was Animaniacs, so that's what I would vote for.

I first discovered Ranma 1/2 in the late 90s, but it already has several movies. I don't think any of them were ever shown in theaters in the U.S., though, so it might qualify. Then again, you probably didn't want any anime, either.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
yes
Gargolyes dood.
Only it would stay animated, no computer graphics unless it's purely to enhance the old fashioned cell animation.
They'd have all the original voices and it would be based on CELTIC MYTHOLOGY BAY-BEE!
That would rock that would pwn
No live action though with cgi because that would just annoy me.

And yes, a full-lenght P and the B movie would be cool and funny too.
Or maybe Goodfeathers, because since i've seen Goodfellas, it cracks me up so much.

You guys will have to list some 90s cartoons because I don't remember a lot of them.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Pinky and The Brain would be an awesome movie! The only problem is of course trying to stretch a typical 15 minute toon into a 90 minute movie without it looking like a bunch of filler.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Duckman!
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Batman Beyond all the way. Live action, of course. Maybe let the new Batman movies lead into it.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Pirates of Dark Water.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, ExoSquad. That was a great cartoon. Too bad it was canned after only a couple seasons.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Batman Beyond surprised me ALOT. I seriously was ready to swear off batman when I first heard about it but then when I saw a few episodes I was VERY impressed. Return of the Joker was a solid movie. No reason why they could not make another one.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Duckman!

YES!!! I will second that.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Gargoyles started as a movie. I have it in my basement. The series came afterwards. Although, if it hand't been a movie, I would totally choose this show.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
"The Tick" gets my vote.
Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
ARRRGH, 80's cartoons were my childhood!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
My condolences.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Little_Doctor:
Gargoyles started as a movie. I have it in my basement. The series came afterwards. Although, if it hand't been a movie, I would totally choose this show.

What you have is the pilot episodes of the syndicated series, re-edited into a direct-to-video "movie". [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam & Max. Duh.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
SWAT Kats was 90's right? I seem to remember the theme song rocking out pretty hard, so it could be 80's.

Darkwing Duck, Animaniancs, Freakazoid.

Also, this thread lacks Mummies...ALIVE!

-Edited to add intro vids.

[ July 14, 2007, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Lord Solar Macharius ]

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
eXo Squad...ended way before it's time. And with a cliff hanger no less.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Pirates of Dark Water.

As long as they based it on the original syndicated mini-series, and not the awful, kiddie-fied, re-edited and re-dubbed network version.

Replacing Niddler's voice and turning him into a JarJar-esque clown...*shudder*.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam and Max
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
DARKWING DUCK!
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Animaniacs probably would be amazing.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Pirates of Dark Water, no exceptions.

Also, and more importantly, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

The fifth episode aired first the day my father died, November 2nd, 1995, so it was a 90's cartoon.

Well, in Japan anyway...

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Planet! Totally! (Not really)

I'll second Animaniacs, though....

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
Captain Planet! Totally! (Not really)

You know...I'd have to see it, though. The curiosity would be too much to ignore.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel bad for you 90's kids. Aside from the Batman stuff and some of Animaniacs, it seems there wasn't much worth getting nostalgic about in the 90's cartoon era.

I mean Rugrats basically started the whole "Cartoons that are so ugly you can't watch them" trend, and a lot of cartoondom never recovered.

Now that you're all thoroughly humilated, I will remind you of what should be your 90's cartoon ringer:

Recess

That show rocked.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
Recess has already had its movie.

We need a movie...

of Mighty Max.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Recess already had a movie.

But not the live action, big buget, special effects laden extravaganza that it could have.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I dug Rocko's Modern Life even though the animation was a bit wanting. Rocko in the post 9/11 world could be a thing to see.

How crazy would all his friends be? It'd be nothing but suspicious packages and shady neighbors everywhere. Rocko would eventually teach them all to relax, and they'd get it for about 5 minutes before finding something else to freak about.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Rocko and Heiffer were definately getting high together off-camera.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Originally posted by Little_Doctor:

What you have is the pilot episodes of the syndicated series, re-edited into a direct-to-video "movie". [Smile]
Really? Bummer. It was one of my favorite movies when I was younger.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Why settle for a movie based on ONE 90s cartoon when we could instead have an awesome crossover?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite how you may think of the current franchise... Beast Wars all the way.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second the suggestions regarding Duckman, Captain Planet, SWAT Kats and probably many of the others as well.
But as for the one tv-show I'd really like to see made into a movie, I can't remember it's title. [Embarrassed]
It was a show about several different planets who had engine at their core. They were inhabited by species that were modelled to be related to the elements. I can remember that were fire people, earth people and water people. These nations were either at war with each other of extremely distrustful of the other at the very least. But they were forced into a grudging cooperation to flee from some kind of danger, capable of destroying their planets.
I realise this plot outline is rather sketchy, but does anyone know what show I'm talking about?

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Freakazoid, but I don't know how they could adapt it to a (good) full lenght film.

I'll also add The Critic to the list. Good show, that, with plenty of room for expansion into a feature film.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only one that I liked that hasn't been mentioned yet is:
Reboot

other than that I'll add my votes for:
PntB
Pirates of Dark Waters
Exo Squad
Beast Wars
Mighty Max
Gargoyles

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, a Reboot movie would be great. Too bad the market is already saturated with computer animated flicks.

Pirates of Dark Water could always jump on the "boat" started by PoTC.

But Gargoyles would be awesome if they could pull it off visually. I loved that show!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
They've already done a live-action Gargoyles. It's called Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, Martina Sirtis ain't that ugly.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Eduardo--do you mean Battle Beasts? I never saw it, but it had an "elementals" premise.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
My vote goes Animaniacs, it WAS the best cartoon of the 90s. I mean after all, even3 adults could watch it, very sophisiticated humor...sometimes. [Smile]

Plus, I have it on DVD!

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
War Planets' Shadow Raiders

[ July 16, 2007, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
While I enjoyed Animaniacs, I liked Tiny Toons so much better. They already have a movie (I own it on VHS and basically wore it out) I would love to see a modern one as most people would not get the jokes in the original.

Where was I during the 90s? I don't remember any of the cartoons y'all are mentioning except Animaniacs. I was in college...maybe I was watching Ren and Stimpy and Bevis and Butthead.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.