FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Classic Movies

Author Topic: Classic Movies
star powered rae
Member # 10711

- posted      Profile for star powered rae           Edit/Delete Post 
I read OSC's latest essay was surprised he picked The Sting as a classic movie to introduce his daughter to the genre. You've got to start with movies like Charade and Arsenic and Old Lace. Those are classic, witty, and cross generational. I'm trying to think of one without Cary Grant. Maybe the Princess and the Pirate.

Any others?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Harvey. The original!

Something with Humphrey Bogart, but it needn't be Casablanca.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Adam's Rib

And welcome to Hatrack, rae! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Angels With Dirty Faces, I'd say.
And welcome to the Hatrack thing!

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The Sting was a solid choice. I saw it once as a child and my father explained it to me, but I saw it again about 15 years later and it rocked my socks. I had no choice but to go out and rent Coolhand Luke after that Paul Newman was SO good in both movies.

Diehard 1 was a solid choice as well.

As for other movies that would be on my list of classics,

Jaws

The Shawshank Redemption

Jurassic Park

And I just realized I don't OWN any of those, its a crying shame. I used to buy DVDs all the time, and then this blessing called marriage occurred and my dvd purchases plummeted.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd put Ben Hur, Singin' in the Rain and Zulu on the list. And The Graduate.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Spartacus!
oh yes, and also Straw Dogs. Though the latter might not be a good choice for younger children. (major understatement [Big Grin] )

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
The Philadelphia Story
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Bringing Up Baby.

Hepburn and a dinosaur skeleton. Nuff said.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Jurassic Park and Shawshank Redemption are classics now? This is kind of like when American Movie Classics started showing movies from the 80s, when they used to only show 60s and earlier.

*feels old*

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
We could do this forever, but one favorite that doesn't come up in these discussions: Key Largo
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Celaeno:
The Philadelphia Story

Seconded.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
"Lawrence of Arabia" and "Dr. Zhivago." I'm a fan of beautiful photography. And for staying power of a good story, "The Glen Miller Story" and "Follow me Boys". Those two, with "Singing in the Rain" are the ones that leave our shelf most often.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
The Great Race
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Good movies to introduce kids to classics:
West Side Story
Duck Soup/Night at the Opera/Animal Crackers
Rebel without a Cause
How Green was my Valley
...and I'll second most of the other things on the list, especially Casablanca, Singin' in the Rain, Philadelphia Story, and Ben-Hur.

I think the critical criterion is that the movie have either 1) humor or 2) earnest idealism, preferably coupled with romance; and neither should be on a particularly cerebral level.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple more recent Classics:

Obviously: the first Star Wars (I assume most kids have seen it already)

The Raiders of the lost Ark.

Back to the Future

I'll second Jaws, I still watch it on cable all the time.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, good, I'm glad someone mentioned the Marx Brothers.

I'll agree that The Sting is a solid choice. A couple of lighter ones along those lines, but still classic: Some Like It Hot and The Lavender Hill Mob.

For the one with Bogart, it's a tossup between Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.