FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Japanese nuke plant, and broader concerns about energy for humanity (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Japanese nuke plant, and broader concerns about energy for humanity
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
The question should not be "is nuclear power safe?"

All mass power production of any kind has risks. People have been killed in coal mines, refinery fires and explosions, falling off of dams, etc. etc. Also, conventional power production has made land become unsuitable for food production and habitation as well from things like toxic chemical waste, mining, giant fields of coal slag, flooding of upstream areas from dams, etc.

So the proper question should be, "is nuclear power more or less risky than other types of power production?"

Based on the evidence I have seen in my admittedly limited research, I would say less.

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised at you, Glenn. I just reread her posts on the thread (on my mobile, and it's noisy-please excuse me if I missed it), but I don't think that was the gist of her message at all, that it's perfectly safe-and I'm almost certain she never actually said it.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm kinda surprised at myself too. I've always been somewhat pro-nuclear, but Tatiana has always rubbed me the wrong way.

No, she hasn't said it's perfectly safe. My post is more based on her attitude, in which she assumes a one-sided bias (anti-nuclear fears are biased, while her position isn't), and rejects the notion that the potential for disaster is real, because the danger has somehow been engineered out.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.