FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Some ways money can buy you happiness

Author Topic: Some ways money can buy you happiness
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Couple of years back I got interested in a branch of psychology known as positive psychology. A significant part of this branch concerns the psychology of happiness. For instance, while having plenty of market goods to choose from might mean we're materially well off, it doesn't necessarily mean that having more choice makes us happier. In fact, being faced with more choice everyday might make us less happy.

Another very illuminating theory is the hedonic treadmill.:

quote:
Humans rapidly and inevitably adapt to good things by taking them for granted. The more possessions and accomplishments we have, the more we need to boost our level of happiness. It supposes that the brain of a species that has dominated others would evolve to strive for continual betterment.

[edit] Details

* Despite the fact that external forces are constantly changing our life goals, happiness for most people is a relatively constant state. Regardless of how good things get, we'll always be about the same level of happiness.

* It is believed that the baseline of an individual's happiness is at least partially genetic. For example, identical twins are usually equally bubbly or grumpy.

* There are things that we can do to raise or lower our baseline happiness. Marriage does, pets do, but children don't seem to (despite what we think). Money does not add much to happiness. Lottery winners are the perfect example: within a year, they usually return to their former happiness level. Those handicapped in motor vehicle accidents are another example. They too return to former happiness levels, despite their loss of function.

But while money can't buy you happiness in many ways, it might be able to in some.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh. The problem with all that sort of study is that crossing off one of five boxes (very happy, somewhat happy, slightly happy, somewhat unhappy, suicide bomber) is just not a very good way to measure the internal state of happiness. You would almost have to measure smile/laugh frequency, brain patterns, serotonin levels... Actually, even that wouldn't help because we really have no idea how this correlates with the qualia of happiness. In short these studies are useless.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say that a study that used a lack of voluntary attempted and/or successful suicide as a defining factor might be useful.

I say that because I live in the county with the second highest suicide rate in North Carolina.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:
But while money can't buy you happiness in many ways, it might be able to in some.

Firefox does not like that page.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

My version of Firefox seems to like it just fine.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
They didn't have "Buy a Wii", but I tell you what, that thing is loads of fun [Smile]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
My version of Firefox seems to like it just fine.

Including the titles of the stuff in the sidebars?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Do you mean higher up in the sidebars, or at the very bottom?
rivka
Member # 4859

An example:

In Firefox:
code:
MY
EARTH-SHATTERI
HAPPINESS
FORMULA.

In IE:
code:
MY EARTH-
SHATTERING
HAPPINESS
FORMULA.

steven
Member # 8099

Yeah, those titles are jacked up for me too.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.