FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Smoking Banned in Bars? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Smoking Banned in Bars?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any sources for that belief? From what I can find, the consensus is that the long term effect was very minimal.

This is actually something I'm very interested in, so any conflicting information would be very appreciated.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, I don't have any sources for you. I wish I did, for I'm interested in reading more about it myself.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Where did you get this idea from, then?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
The worst thing that prohibition did was spawn American style lager. It's an abomination. Before prohibition there were local breweries everywhere producing good European brews. After prohibition there was Anheuser Bush.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard it before as well. Prohibition broke the national habit of stopping at the bar after work. It wasn't all a disaster and went a long way towards its goals.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could remember that, I'd have a source for you. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Significant impact by prohibition itself only has tenuous support. The amount of alcohol consumption by Americans dropped some when prohibition started. It had already dropped considerably before prohibition started. Even during prohibition alcohol consumption nearly surpassed immediate pre-prohibition consumption. In long-term trends in alcohol consumption prohibition only shows up as a small blip. The relative amounts spent on hard liquor vs other alcohol was not significantly different before and after prohibition.

And of course, homicides rapidly increased during prohibition (by around twenty percent nationwide), and rapidly decreased once it ended.

There was a great decrease in alcohol consumption in the US, but it occurred before prohibition. Prohibition's contribution to decreases in alcohol consumption are tenuous at best -- indicators for it (deaths by cirrhosis and drunkenness arrests) only decreased slightly compared to immediately before prohibition, and reattained the levels they had just before prohibition immediately after prohibition.

The graphs on this page might be interesting: http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-157.html

As well as this page: http://eh.net/encyclopedia/article/miron.prohibition.alcohol

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
I've heard it before as well. Prohibition broke the national habit of stopping at the bar after work.
I've heard a lot of things. Some of them even turn out to be true. This, from what I've read, isn't. Alcoholic consumption post-prohibition was, from my reading, pretty much on par with pre-prohibition.

You may have heard about this in one of OSC's columns. I remember him mentioning it, using pretty much that same language. But...(edit)OSC's fact checking sometimes leaves a great deal to be desired.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I know I've read about it elsewhere.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

fugu touches on part of this issue that I'm particularly interested in. There were things prior to prohibition that led to a significant decrease in alcoholic consumption.

I'm very interested in the process of large scale social and social mythology changes, so this is very interesting to me.

In general, overt, antagonistic methods may increase compliance, dislodge weakly adhered to behavior, and alter people's habits, but they rarely have a large effect on adoption of different norms, which is really where you normally get your long-term effects from.

The interplay of personality, methods chosen, overall effect, and persistance is one of my special interest areas.

[ July 31, 2007, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested, but not enough to do research. Don't care enough.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I think the best way to approximate the prevalence of that particular facet of alcohol consumption would be bars per capita. If bar-going habits reduced, we'd expect a reduction in the number of bars, generally speaking.

That's a moderately difficult dataset to dig for, but I'll see what I can find.

edit: particularly hard given "bar charts" and "bar graphs"

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe try pubs or something similar?
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

The problem is that most paper/dataset titles and abstracts will only use one term, and the most common in US usage is bar.

I've found some related stats, but nothing close enough. For instance, there's been a significant decrease in the number of bars since shortly after WW2.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I'd be willing to bet that the mean size of bars has increased during that time, though.
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've heard a lot of things. Some of them even turn out to be true. This, from what I've read, isn't. Alcoholic consumption post-prohibition was, from my reading, pretty much on par with pre-prohibition.
Re: kat's point. Check out Norman Clark's _Deliver Us from Evil: An Interpretation of American Prohibition_. There's no definitive history of Prohibition, but this is as close as it gets, and is probably the most sophisticated interpretation out there. More recent stuff, like Ann Syzmanski and John Guthrie, tends to examine the organizational strategies of the movement rather than the cultural motivations or impact of the period. So Clark remains largely normative, and concludes that Prohibition did in fact impact American drinking habits.

Earlier interpretations, like Andrew Sinclair's or Herbert Asbury's or even the late sainted Richard Hofstadter's, tended to dismiss Prohibition as the fruit of paranoid backwards fundamentalist minds, unworthy of the respect of real historians. More recent research - like Clark - tends to take the movement more seriously, and has realized that there were actually respectable, educated middle class people concerned about practical social issues. In other words, that the period is worth taking seriously.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Matt,
Although I could be mistaken, I was pretty sure we were talking about the legal period of Prohibition, as started by the 18th Amendment and the Volstead Act, not the Abstinence/Prohibition movement.

I did obliquely credit this movement with reducing alcoholic comsumption.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
I'd be willing to bet that the mean size of bars has increased during that time, though.

And that more restaurants added bars to their establishments. And, inversely, that bars added restaurants.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, you're not mistaken. Clark's book deals with the period you're addressing. I do kind of go off topic in my post - talking about the movement - but all six books I mention deal with the 1920s as well as the second wave of the temperance movement that immediately preceded it.
Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I'll give it a read. Thanks.
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that you are correct MrSquicky, but in fairness the 18th Amendment and the Volstead Act were significant fruits of the efforts of the Abstinence/Prohibition/Temperance movement. I seem to recall that prior to the 18th Amendment and the Volstead Act the movement had considerable success in reducing public consumption of alcohol, much like the current efforts to educate Americans on the dangers of smoking and second hand smoke seem to be resulting in a nationwide reduction in smoking.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.