FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HP7 British version vocab question (mayfly)

Author Topic: HP7 British version vocab question (mayfly)
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a really random question, but if anyone has the British version of the book I'd appreciate it if you could find the answer for me.

In Ch 12 just after they find out Snape is the headmaster Hermione says "Merlin's pants." Is that what she says in the British version or has the word been changed?

Thanks!

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe in the British version it says "Merlin's Brassiere."
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
It says "Merlin's pants" in the British edition as well.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The expression can be interpreted the same, even though pants means different things on opposite sides of the Atlantic.

Interestingly, I submitted a bit of children's poetry for critique on a writer's workshop I belong to--

quote:
Stand up in a forest, as deep as the other.
There's no help for you now, not father nor mother!
The goblins that dwell here are both cunning and wild
And they'd just as soon eat one as look at a child.
If you can summon a wizard, you might have a chance.
Or the goblins might barter your life for. . . your pants.
Not a bad bargain, as such bargains go,
And thankfully, here they never see snow.

Critiquers on the Eastern side of the Atlantic expressed concern that there'd be a kid wandering around the rest of the picture book nude from the waist down; folks on this side of the Atlantic didn't hardly notice it at all.

(By the way, I liked Ron's one-uppmanship with "Merlin's baggiest Y-fronts.") [Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Well that's good to know Scott.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Err...what's good to know?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
The expression can be interpreted the same, even though pants means different things on opposite sides of the Atlantic.
My reason for asking was based on someone's questioning of a picture of jeans along with the words "Merlin's pants!" As the British vocab is often changed in the American versions I wanted to check to see what it said there.
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Given that Ron refers to Y-fronts a little later, I'm guessing that wasn't changed from the British version, and that Hermione was using "pants" in the British sense of underwear.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Merlin's Pants - refering to the nether garments of said esteemed figure of magical legend*.

*Legend as in myth and folklore, not the end of your leg**.

** So as to eliminate ambiguity, diminish obfuscation and ameliorate comprehension.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron also uses "Merlin's saggy left -- "
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that as the series has gone on, less and less has been "translated."
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I even found "jumper" in the American version of one of the later books, a word that is traditionally changed in almost all books with an American vs. British edition.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
There is also trainers to consider too.

Shame they can't call Sorcerer's stone Philosopher's Stone as th at sounds cooler.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.