FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Holy Crap! Two news helicopters crashed over Phoenix today.

Author Topic: Holy Crap! Two news helicopters crashed over Phoenix today.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the link from MSNBC. The choppers were covering a high speed chase when they collided. [Frown] [Frown]

For those who live here, the helicopters were from KTVK channel 3 and KNXV channel 15. The pilot and camera man in both helicopters died.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's nuts.

Holding the suspect responsible for the collision, however, is total BS.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe if it had been more direct, like he tore through an intersection and caused accidents that resulted in a wrongful death, but this? I think it's ridiculous as well.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
There were 5 news helicopters and 1 police helicopter in the area. It makes me wonder if they should just allow one news helicopter to cover the story and the other news stations get sent a copy of the video feed. If they did that, how would they decide who gets to follow the chase?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the suspect is guilty of their deaths. If you get crashed into during a high speed chase, it's because you were there doing your thing. Assuming you weren't trying to ride the wake of traffic clearance behind the police pursuit car.

(My husband often comments he can't believe the things I think of to not do. [Smile] )

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that on the news last night. The feed of one of the reporters in the air at the time was heartbreaking. He actually had to stop the story saying he just couldn't... very tragic.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If it was the police copter that crashed I think he would be responsible, but no civilian copter has a duty to follow.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody who has seen Die Hard 4 or even the preview would know that a car CAN indeed be responsible for the crashing of a helicopter. [Wink]

------
As an aside, 5 helicopters just sounds far to crowded. But perhaps they have been doing it this way for many years and it was just a freak accident.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a bad person. The title of this thread made me laugh before I thought, "Gee, I wonder if anyone was hurt."
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I can see him being charged in the deaths of police officers in a pursuing helicopter, but not news helicopters. (Or, what Kwea said.)
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Derrell:
If they did that, how would they decide who gets to follow the chase?

ROLL FOR INITIATIVE!!!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Great, now pilots are going to min-max for dexterity.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.