FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wizard Series--Diane Duane--should I continue?

Author Topic: Wizard Series--Diane Duane--should I continue?
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the first 3 books, "So you want to be a wizard", "deep wizardry", and "high wizardry", maybe 20 years ago. I loved the first two, but the 3rd damaged my suspension of disbelief. However, while surfing around on amazon, I found that she has been pumping out the sequels like OSC pumps out Enderverse novels. The reviews seem to say that the later books are actually better than "high wizardry". I'm wondering if the later books are worth the time/money. If they are, I'll read them, them give them to my 9-year-old.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the first 6 1/2 books. I liked them up through book 5, couldn't finish 6. My 10 yo read uo through book 7 but didn't really enjoy anything through book 4.
I'd say, library before you buy.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh...well...DARN. Anybody else read them all? Any thoughts from those folks?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the first three are the best, honestly, with two the peak -- re-reading it still makes me bawl my eyes out. I just finished reading eight a few weeks ago, and my response was pretty much "meh." Too many lightning bolts, not enough character development. I think part of the problem is that she's unwilling to let her characters age at a rate of more than a few weeks or months a book, which doesn't really allow them to change much (barring The Wizard's Dilemma, which is all about Nita's character grow, though a bit too focused on magical technobabble for me to really enjoy).

Rather than reading the later books, I'd pick up her parallel Feline Wizards series, starting with The Book of Night with Moon. Fun stuff (well, if you like cats).

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read them all, except I think the most recent one.

Anyone who thinks the first three are the best hasn't read The Wizard's Dilemma. A bright 9 year old should enjoy all of them (although I'd generally suggest them more to the 11-13 age range). The cat books are good, but really more for adults than kids.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.